Zombot Dark Dragon is the boss of Dark Ages in Plants vs. Zombies 2. Unlike its predecessors, it is a different form of Zombot in which is a machine that is designed to be similar to a dragon in both appearance and function. It is battled in Dark Ages - Night 20 and possibly Modern Day - Day 33. It summons all Dark Ages zombies except for Peasant Flag Zombie and Zombie King. It can be stunned for three seconds by the Magnet-shroom's Plant Food effect.
In Arena, defeating the Dark Dragon will award 10000 points, increasing by 10000 points each time the Dark Dragon is defeated. Higher leagues will increase a multiplier for points scored, with a maximum of 5x in Jade league.
Zombot Dark Dragon
Zombot Dark Dragon
The desolator of all, from dark times.
Damage: fire breathing attacks destroy plants
Special: lobbed fireballs can hatch Imp Dragon Zombies
With a rumble of destruction, Dr. Zomboss forged his Dark Dragon in the heart of a volcano. Then he tempered the beast in the chilled waters of Doom Lake. Finally he fed its furnace with coal from the Mines of Morbidity. And the paint job - that was done by Carl.
The Zombot Dark Dragon absorbs approximately 27000 damage per shot and its appearance changes upon absorbing 7000, 16000, and is defeated at 27000 damage per shot.
The Zombot Dark Dragon randomly performs one of the following actions:
- It will spit fireballs that can summon Imp Dragon Zombies as well as scorch the tile it was lobbed on, briefly rendering it unplantable.
- Plant Food can stop this attack.
- Depending on the phase, the Zombot can fire more fireballs and summon more Imp Dragon Zombies at once.
- It will breathe fire, destroying plants and zombies in two rows.
- It will change position to any of the bottom four lanes and in the second or third column from the right. Unlike its predecessors, it cannot leap into the air. Instead, it loudly stomps to its new position, shaking the entire lawn under its weight. Its head and neck sweep over to its new position, killing any zombies on contact. Also unlike its predecessors, the dragon does not harm any plants with this movement.
- Upon reaching 0 health, it will move to the second row from the bottom and fourth column from the right.
- It will roar to summon zombies, depending on the phase:
Arena and Penny's Pursuit
|Depends on damage||Infinite dps||(summons )|
Boss Rush event
- ▲ Zomboss now has self-defense measures that mirror damage to plant spawns (Zomboids, Turkeys, Tigers, etc)
|Zombot Dark Dragon intro.|
|Dragon first entrance roar.|
|Dragon flying over.|
|Dragon entrance fire breath.|
|Dragon second entrance roar.|
|Dragon's summoning roar.|
|Dragon stomp (slowed down and lower pitch).|
|Dragon stomp (in-game recording).|
|Dragon preparing fire breath.|
|Dragon releasing fire breath.|
|Dragon breathing fire.|
|Dragon withdrawing fire breath.|
|Dragon preparing to spit fireballs.|
|Dragon spitting fireball.|
|Dragon withdrawing from spitting fireballs.|
|Fireball hitting the ground.|
|Dragon's cry when getting stunned.|
|Dragon recovering from being stunned.|
|Dragon shock when getting stunned.|
|Dragon shock when recovering from being stunned.|
|Dragon defeat roar.|
|Zombot defeat shock.|
|Dragon falling on the ground.|
|Dragon's eye popping off.|
Zomboss vocalization sounds
|Cackling while dragon is flying over
Cackling while dragon is attacking
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Zombot Dark Dragon.
In other languages
|English||Zombot Dark Dragon|
|French||Dragons des ténèbres zombot|
|Italian||Drago oscuro Zombot|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Dragão das Trevas Zumbô|
|Spanish||Zombot dragón oscuro|
- Unlike the first four Zombots, this one is not a one-eyed, four-legged robot, although its eyes look similar to the other Zombots' (although this one has slits as pupils). After it is defeated, one of the Zombot's eyes fall off as metal parts can be seen. This shows that it is a robot, not a biological lifeform. However, it is unknown if this one is four-legged or not.
- It is the first zombie and Zombot to lose an eye when defeated. The second is the Zombot Dinotronic Mechasaur.
- When it was introduced, it was far larger than any of the other Zombots in Plants vs. Zombies 2, and it was the only one that made the earth shake just by walking. Ironically, it was the only one that couldn't crush plants. It could still kill zombies with its head and neck, however.
- It is also the only Zombot in Plants vs. Zombies 2 that shakes the ground during its intro animation.
- It is the first Zombot to be based on an animal. The second is the Zombot Sharktronic Sub, the third is the Zombot Tuskmaster 10,000 BC, and the fourth is the Zombot Dinotronic Mechasaur.
- It is one of the Zombots to have Dr. Zomboss dressing up, the others being Zombot Plank Walker, Zombot Aerostatic Gondola, and Zombot Multi-stage Masher.
- Dr. Zomboss is dressed up like a Roman gladiator, since Rome fell just before the Dark Ages, but the East Roman Empire (Byzantine Empire), survived until 1453, which was time when the Dark Ages started fading away into the Renaissance.
- Dr. Zomboss' veins are shown through his helmet.
- There is a cross tattoo or scar on the dragon's face.
- The full body of the dragon is only shown when it flies in. However, it is only a shadow of it.
- More of the dragon's body can be seen on the old Chinese world map of Dark Ages. The dragon's wings are the same shape as seen in its shadow, but now with clawed tips. Its forelegs, three-clawed forepaws, torso, and tail can be seen as well. In addition, the dragon is shown to be nearly as large as the castle next to the Dark Ages lawn and able to damage large chunks of the castle with its body.
- It summons zombies in a different manner than the first four Zombots. In the first four battles, zombies are summoned out of a portal inside the Zombot's mouth, by slowly transforming first from a white silhouette. The Zombot Dark Dragon summons zombies similar to how Gunpowder Devil and Blade-Wielding Hero summon zombies; the zombies simply rise out of the ground whenever it roars.
- Zombot Dark Dragon and Zombot Sharktronic Sub are the only Zombots with a weakness. The boosted Magnet-shroom tugs on the Zombot's nose ring, stunning it briefly, while Tangle Kelp entangles the turbine of Zombot Sharktronic Sub.
- However, the Zombot Tomorrow-tron can be stunned by the Blover as it charges.
- When it breathes fire, it can kill zombies.
- Prior to an update, it could even kill Imp Dragon Zombies, even though they are immune to fire damage.
- Also, Dr. Zomboss does not wear his gladiator armor. Instead, he is wearing his usual lab gown.
- The fireball attack usually aims at Magnet-shrooms. This is because Magnet-shroom is an essential part of the fight, and the player can only have one of them at a time.
- Plants on a scorched tile when fed with Plant Food will be destroyed once they finish their Plant Food ability.
- It is the second Zombot in Plants vs. Zombies 2 to be able to fly, with the first being Zombot Tomorrow-tron (without legs), and the third being Zombot Aerostatic Gondola.
- It is the first Zombot to feature a new zombie (Imp Dragon Zombie, assuming the player did not first encountered it in Arthur's Challenge).
- In Modern Day - Day 33, there is a glitch where if the Guacodile is placed on a Zombot and after the money bag is collected, it will do a rush attack on the Zombot as Dr. Zomboss teleports away.
- While the Zombot Dark Dragon is stomping between lanes, it is possible that lowering the sound effect volume will affect all sound effects except the Zombot Dark Dragon's sound effects.
- If this bug has been done and the player restarts the level in the middle of Zombot Dark Dragon's summoning roar, the bug will continue and its sound effects still won't be affected.
- There is a bug in which where if the Zombot is in Penny's Pursuit boss fight or Modern Day 33, the dragon fire breath may last much longer than usual, spawning more Imp Dragon Zombies.
- When Zombot Dark Dragon is vulnerable to have its nose ring pulled, the nose ring animation will play for any part of Magnet-shroom's plant food attack. This means that if Magnet-shroom hits the dragon with a projectile, the dragon can appear to have its nose ring pulled on again.
- In Chinese version of his Almanac entry, the paint job is done by "Xiao Ming".
- Coincidentally, Squash's stage name in Chinese version is the same as it. This is more likely an oversight.