Wax Gourd (冬瓜; pinyin: dōngguā) is a plant in both the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2 and in Plants vs. Zombies Online. He has different abilities depending on which game he is in, being a defensive plant in Plants vs. Zombies 2. and an instant use plant in Plants vs. Zombies Online.
He is based on the wax gourd (Benincasa hispida), a fruit native to South and Southeast Asia named for it's waxy coating that is obtained as the fruit matures and ripens. His Chinese name translates directly to "Winter Melon", an alternate name for the Wax gourd.
冬瓜守卫 (Wax Gourd)
Sun cost: 375
TOUGHNESS: Very High
Presses the Vitruvian Wheel's Floor-de-Lis tiles, bounces zombies when angry.
Plant family effect: In research and development
In the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, Wax Gourd is an Uncommon plant unlocked in Renaissance Age. He is a defensive plant that, when planted, jumps in-place to bounce zombies in the air, briefly stunning them. His jumping can also activate Floor-de-Lis tiles when he is planted on them, allowing the player to move Vitruvian Wheels to their advantage.
In Plants vs. Zombies Online, Wax Gourd was an instant use, Qin Shi Huang Mausoleum unlockable plant who could only be planted on pathways. He rolled along the dug path, and killed all the zombies in his path, similarly to Jalapeno and Giant Wall-nut.
- Hover the image to see the full description.
This is quite literally a weaker and the pathway version of Jalapeno. Do not use him by himself, as he is just an instant use plant, very similar to Jalapeno. Use him for assisting strong plants like Coconut Cannon. This is particularly decent early game, when you need to kill strong zombies, but have no access to a Potato Mine or the like. This plant should be used aggressively, either on the first lane to make full use of its range, or on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th lane, if you need to quickly dispatch zombies, or simply don't want to leave the first row and lane alone for the sole use of this. Note that he is also an instant-kill, so using him to beat tough zombies on pathways, such as Hawker Carts or Archer Zombies is highly advised.
- His Chinese name translates exactly to "Winter Melon", this is because was based on an actual winter melon, while the original one is a literal interpretation of a "winter" melon.
- He also has a completely different appearance from the original Winter Melon.
- He is the second plant to be brought over from Plants vs. Zombies Online, with the first being Narcissus.
- He was one of the two plants that could be planted on pathways directly. The second was Sod.
- He was the third plant to share its name with another plant. The first is Bamboo-shoot and the second is Dandelion.
- He and Sod were the only plants obtained in Qin Shi Huang Mausoleum that did not appear in Adventure Mode.
- He was one of the few plants in the game that did not have any costumes.