- Not to be confused with Wax Guard.
Wax Gourd (冬瓜; pinyin: dōngguā) was a plant in the now defunct Chinese exclusive tower defense game Plants vs. Zombies Online. It was an instant use plant that could roll on the paths to defeat zombies in the Qin Shi Huang Mausoleum.
It was based on the wax gourd (Benincasa hispida), a fruit native to South and Southeast Asia named for its waxy coating that is obtained as the fruit matures and ripens.
Its Chinese name translates directly to "Winter Melon", an alternate name for the Wax Gourd.
Can kill all zombies when rolling along paths.
- Hover the image to see the full description.
This is quite literally a weaker and pathway version of Jalapeno. Do not use it by itself, as it is just an instant use plant very similar to the latter. Use it for assisting strong plants like Coconut Cannon.
This is particularly decent early game, when you need to kill strong zombies, but have no access to a Potato Mine or the like. This plant should be used aggressively, either on the first lane to make full use of its range, or on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th lane, if you need to quickly dispatch zombies, or simply don't want to leave the first row and lane alone for the sole use of this.
- Its Chinese name translates exactly to "Winter Melon", this is because was based on an actual winter melon, while the original one is a literal interpretation of a "winter" melon.
- It also has a completely different appearance from the original Winter Melon.
- It was one of the two plants that could be planted on pathways directly. The second was Sod.
- It was the third plant to share its name with another plant. The first is Bamboo-shoot and the second is Dandelion.
- It and Sod were the only plants obtained in Qin Shi Huang Mausoleum that did not appear in Adventure Mode.
- It was one of the few plants in the game that did not have any costumes.