Transmogrify is a super-rare plant superpower trick card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Smarty class. It costs 1 to play, and its ability transforms a selected zombie into a random zombie that costs 1, including another copy of it if that zombie costs 1.
It is based on the real meaning of transmogrify, the ability to transform in a surprising or magical manner.
- Class: Smarty
- Tribe: Superpower Trick
- Ability: Transform a Zombie into a random Zombie that costs 1.
- Rarity: Super-Rare
It's a life-changing experience. Actually, it's an everything-changing experience.
- ▲ Ability change: Transform a Zombie into a random Zombie that costs 2 or less. → Transform a Zombie into a random Zombie that costs 1.
- Card image changed.
Transmogrify can be a great way to make a very powerful zombie into a weak one. On most occasions, the zombie will turn into a weak zombie, like Baseball Zombie. However, on other occasions, it could turn it into more dangerous ones like Leprechaun Imp. On some occasions, it can also turn the zombie into the same zombie as before, basically wasting the superpower. As such, it should only be used on zombies with very high stats, either by default such as Octo Zombie, or via the use of tricks, and not against weaker, less threatening zombies.
Because you cannot tell what zombie comes out from playing Transmogrify, it is wise to play this first before playing anything else. That way, you can deal with any unintentionally transformed threat such as Tennis Champ or Mini-Ninja much more easily.
Just be careful if Unlife of the Party is on the field, as transforming a zombie counts as playing a zombie as well, or if any of the following zombies are currently on the field:
- Mustache Waxer (if the zombie is transformed into Imposter, Backup Dancer, Cheese Cutter, Headstone Carver, Grave Robber or another Mustache Waxer), as he will get boosted.
- Zookeeper (if the zombie is transformed into Skunk Punk, Dog Walker, Fraidy Cat, Zombie Chicken, Ducky Tube Zombie or Cat Lady), as he will boost the zombie it transformed into to make it more of an issue.
- Interdimensional Zombie (if the zombie is transformed into Genetic Experiment, Cardboard Robot Zombie, Neutron Imp, Zombology Teacher or another Interdimensional Zombie), as he will get transformed.
- Headhunter (if the zombie is transformed into Backup Dancer, Unlife of the Party or Disco-Naut), as he will do damage to you.
- Cat Lady (if the zombie is transformed into Skunk Punk, Dog Walker, Fraidy Cat, Zombie Chicken, Ducky Tube Zombie or another Cat Lady), as she will get boosted.
- Zombie Middle Manager (if the zombie is transformed into Paparazzi Zombie, Zombology Teacher, Planetary Gladiator, Headstone Carver or another Zombie Middle Manager in front of a plant), as he will get boosted if that zombie gets hurt.
However, the latter only applies when his stats are low, as playing this trick is a way of lowering his stats.
If a Double Strike plant is about to be destroyed, playing Transmogrify in front of it may benefit the Double Strike plant as it will weaken the zombie and allow the plant to plow through the zombie and then hit the hero. However, since neither Rose nor Citron has access to cards associated with Double Strike normally, they will have to get Coffee Grounds via Mayflower or Cosmic Bean. However, Green Shadow has access to all Double Strike plants, meaning she has to get this superpower from Bird of Paradise.
For easy reference, here is the list of all 1 zombies that the affected zombie can transform into:
If this superpower is played in the early game, it is not that much of a big deal as you can still rebuild your setup. However, this superpower could possibly ruin you if it is used on a powerful zombie of yours, especially if you used lots of boosting cards or if it's the only one you have. Having many small threats out at once so that you aren't completely helpless is the best solution against tricks like these, as Transmogrify is only playable once per game.
You can also play Unlife of the Party to make your opponent think twice before playing this trick, but if Unlife of the Party is the biggest threat on the field, this strategy is essentially useless since your opponent will play it on him.
AI opponents in single-player missions sometimes use this on zombies that already cost 1 brain, which can possibly give you an advantage.
- Prior to update 1.12.6, if the player tapped on a zombie being affected by Transmogrify, they could see the zombie it transformed into.