- For other uses, see Torchwood (disambiguation).
Torchwood lights regular peas that pass through him, turning them into fire peas. These fire peas deal twice the damage of normal peas, but also removes all ice-based effect from the target, such as Iceberg Lettuce's freezing and Winter Melon's chilling effect. Frozen peas fired by Snow Pea will thaw, becoming normal peas and losing their slowing ability.
He has lost his ability to give fire peas splash damage, but has higher health and also deals close range fire damage to zombies near him similar to Endurian. He also explodes and does lane-wide fire damage when eaten, similar to Hot Date.
In the Chinese version, he still behaves like in the first game, with the exception of not giving fire peas splash damage.
Torchwood affects the following plants:
- Split Pea
- Pea Pod
- Primal Peashooter
- Fire Peashooter (plasma)
- Snow Pea (thaw)
- For more information about this character, see Torchwood.
Torchwood is available for purchase for $3.99. He became available to purchase for 179 gems for a limited time from September 1, 2015 to September 8, 2015. He became available for 179 gems again from September 10, 2016 to September 12, 2016, but became purchasable for gems again on September 13, 2016 and was available for hours before being changed back to normal. This limited offer is currently unavailable.
Fire peas deal twice as much damage as normal peas, but can no longer deal splash damage, with the sole exception of Primal Peashooter's Plant Food peas which have innate splash damage capability. In Frostbite Caves, Torchwood is also capable of emitting heat every 1.5 seconds that gradually thaws frozen or chilled plants in a 3x3 area surrounding him, as well as being immune to all freezing effects himself.
In version 7.6.1, he obtained a health buff and the ability to deal damage to nearby zombies, this attack deals 10 damage for each zombie near Torchwood. In addition to his attack ability, he also received the ability to explode and deal line-wide flame damage when defeated, dealing 450 damage to all zombies in his lane.
Note: The stats shown below only apply to Level 1.
SUN COST: 175
Torchwoods turn peas that pass through them into fireballs that deal twice as much damage.
They also deal close damage as well as lanewide flame damage on defeat.
Special: damages zombies at close range.
Special: does lane-wide damage when destroyed.
Special: immune to frost.
Special: warms nearby plants.
Torchwood and Snapdragon have become fast friends. They like to hang out at either the Tiki Lounge or the Renaissance Faire.
Plant Food effect
When Torchwood is fed with Plant Food, his fire will become blue, tripling the damage of all peas that pass through it. This effect lasts until the Torchwood is removed. In Frostbite Caves, Torchwood will also emit heat to warm nearby plants four times as often.
|Sun Cost||Recharge||Toughness||Explosion Damage||Touch Damage|
|1||0||0||175||5 seconds||2000 dps||450 dps||10 dps|
|2||10||1,000||150||2150 dps||500 dps||15 dps|
|3||25||2,500||150||2300 dps||550 dps||30 dps|
|4||50||5,000||125||2450 dps||600 dps||40 dps|
|5||100||10,000||125||2600 dps||650 dps||50 dps|
|6||200||20,000||100||2750 dps||700 dps||60 dps|
|7||400||30,000||100||2900 dps||750 dps||70 dps|
|8||800||50,000||75||3050 dps||800 dps||80 dps|
|9||1,200||75,000||75||3200 dps||850 dps||90 dps|
|10||1,600||100,000||50||3350 dps||900 dps||100 dps|
Plant Food gives him purple fire that quadruples the damage of peas.
Torchwood has been slightly buffed in this game, though he no longer deals splash damage with or without Plant Food, making him completely useless against massive groups of zombies that come early on in the stage. He now deals fire damage and acts like a Jalapeno when eaten. Making him a good for stalling zombies, like Hot Date. Though, Hot Date attracts zombies.
It is also difficult to set up as every lane must have a Torchwood and a Repeater on it, and setting this up will cause zombies to slip past your defenses easily while you are concentrating on a lane. You can use higher sun producing plants to speed up the process, or together with Power Lily. Only use it when you have 2 or more peashooting plants in a lane, as then its cost will be worth it.
A Plant Food fed Torchwood can deal massive damage, especially with a maxed out Pea Pod as the plasma fire triples damage. It is very hard and risky to pull off correctly; nonetheless, when done well, this setup can easily counter high zombie densities, and this also helps a lot when battling against Octo Zombies, as the plasma peas can defeat the octopi very quickly. They also can help against the zombies in Terror from Tomorrow, but keep in mind that the high health of Robo-Cone Zombie, Disco-tron 3000, Mecha-Football Zombie, and the force field created by the Shield Zombie will absorb a lot of fire peas. It is highly suggested that you bring Citrons, Sap-flings or E.M.Peaches along with Torchwood to stun the zombies, or Blover to deal with Disco Jetpack Zombies blocking the peas.
Torchwood is also a very effective plant in Frostbite Caves as fire has numerous advantages in this ice-themed world. When planted on any tile, he produces heat in a 3x3 area, preventing the surrounding plants from freezing or melting their ice blocks. He will also produce heat four times more often if he is fed Plant Food, giving him an advantage over other thawing plants.
Note: Avoid using Torchwoods when you see Jester Zombies, Explorer Zombies, Imp Dragon Zombies, and Excavator Zombies, as Jester Zombies can deflect fire peas, fire peas can relight Explorer Zombie's torch, Imp Dragon Zombies are immune to all fire damage (including flaming peas) and Excavator Zombies block all straight-shooting projectiles. Though, Jester Zombie will trigger it’s effect. So using it may still be effective.
Torchwood makes a great lawnmower substitute, since not only does he stall and damage nearby zombies, but his on-defeat attack covers an entire lane.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Torchwood (PvZ2).
- If huge peas from Repeater's and Pea Pod's Plant Food effect pass through him, a sound of ravaging flames can be heard.
- Since the 3.6 update, his Almanac entry mentions his abilities in Frostbite Caves.
- His Almanac entry references Dark Ages and Big Wave Beach before Far Future was even released.
- It also references Frostbite Caves, as he talks about the warming plants ability.
- If he is watered in the Zen Garden, its fire goes out, showing that the Torchwood is hollow.
- His stump is much shorter in this game.
- He has no effect on Fire Peashooter's pea, however, if a Torchwood receives a Plant Food boost, he can relight the fire peas and turn them into plasma peas.
- Cactus, Nightshade, Sun Bean, Hypno-shroom and Torchwood are the only non-defensive plants that have their Plant Food effect last until the plant is destroyed.
- If he gets destroyed in his Plant Food effect, his blue flame returns to normal.
- Despite his fire based appearance and abilities, Torchwood is in the Appease-mint Family rather than the Pepper-mint Family.
- He originally was in the Pepper-mint Family before being moved, likely due to his pea-boosting abilities.
- If given Plant Food and eaten, Torchwood will briefly revert to its normal form before exploding.
Specific to the Chinese version
- He is the first plant to ignite peas. The second is Match Flower (if his petals are on fire).
- Before version 1.9.0, he was unable to thaw plants in Frostbite Caves.