Surprise Gargantuar is a premium rare zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Sneaky class. He costs 5 to play and has 5/6. He has the Gravestone trait, and his ability moves him onto a selected lane when he is revealed.
- Class: Sneaky
- Tribes: Gargantuar Party Zombie
- Trait: Gravestone
- Ability: When revealed: Move this Zombie.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Rare
Surprise! It's a brains-eating monster at your party!
- ▲ Health change: 5 → 6
- ▼ Strength change: 6 → 5
- ▲ Ability added: When revealed: Move this Zombie.
- Tribe order change: Party Gargantuar → Gargantuar Party
- Attack animation change: Now attacks with his pole rather than blowing his party horn.
- Ability animation change: His previous attack animation is now his ability animation.
- Rarity change: Uncommon → Rare
Like all Gargantuars, Surprise Gargantuar is a very powerful zombie. While he doesn't have any traits and his stats are only slightly above-average, his ability to switch lanes can give your opponent a nasty surprise and possibly and ruin their strategy too. Good spots to move Surprise Gargantuar to are lanes with troublesome plants so that he can put an end to them early, and empty lanes where he can land a finishing blow to your opponent.
All Sneaky heroes can give him a small initial boost with Headstone Carver thanks to his Gravestone trait. Or, they can use Cursed Gargolith to reactivate Surprise Gargantuar's ability and refresh his health every turn.
Neptuna has plenty of synergy cards to use with Surprise Gargantuar. The first example is Frenzy cards like Possessed and Going Viral, allowing him to plow through weak plants and then hit her opponent. The second is In-Crypted, which has the same effect as Cursed Gargolith, only much cheaper. And finally, she has access to Gargologist, who reduces the cost of Surprise Gargantuar. Brain Freeze and Impfinity have Frenzy cards and In-Crypted respectively too, but that's pretty much it. Super Brainz and Huge-Gigantacus, however, can use a different strategy with Wizard Gargantuar, guaranteeing at least 5 unblockable damage assuming Surprise Gargantuar moves onto an empty lane.
Just like any Gravestone zombie, the best way to counter this zombie is to play Grave Buster. Smarty heroes will have to settle for Bouncing this zombie with Grave Mistake instead, but they have access to Spyris to see whether the gravestone actually contains Surprise Gargantuar and play accordingly rather than taking a shot in the dark. Either way, it may be a good idea to fill the lanes with plants if your opponent tries to target you, or use Team-Up plants to protect any powerful plants that your opponent may target instead.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Surprise Gargantuar.
- His right arm was not animated correctly, making his right arm detached from his right hand. This could be seen multiple times in-game, like when he was about to switch lanes. This was later patched.
- He is one of the two fighters in the game to have received a major change to their attacking animation, the other being Seedling.
- There was a glitch that occurred when Surprise Gargantuar was made by Gargantuars' Feast, the message asking the player to choose a lane for Surprise Gargantuar to move to would appear even if there were less than 2 open lanes. When this happened with no open lanes, the game would softlock.
- This has since been fixed.