—Sunflower in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
- For other uses, see Sunflower (disambiguation).
Sunflower is a main recurring character within the Plants vs. Zombies franchise, arguably being considered the mascot of the whole series. She plays a crucial part of the player's defense, producing extra Sun to plant more plants.
Throughout the series, Sunflower has been depicted with a bright and cheerful disposition to match her sun-based abilities.
As of Plants vs. Zombies 3, Sunflower has appeared in every game in the Plants vs. Zombies franchise, either as a plantable unit, a playable character, or making cameos in games she does not directly appear in.
- 1 Origins
- 2 History
- 3 Gallery
- 4 Trivia
- 5 See also
Sunflower's design is based on the Common Sunflower (Helianthus annuus), a crop native to the Americas harvested for their edible oils and seeds. Her ability to produce sun is a pun on the plant she's based on.
Her reload animation in her shooter game appearances where she lifts her face towards the sun is a reference to the urban myth which states that sunflower heads always face the sun.
- Main article: Sunflower (PvZ)
In the original Plants vs. Zombies game, as well as all Chinese spin-off games based on it, Sunflower is the first plant to be unlocked, given after beating Level 1-1. She can be considered one of the most important plants in the game, producing the sun for the player. She can be upgraded into Twin Sunflower, which produces twice as much sun than Sunflower.
- Main article: Sunflower (PvZA)
Sunflower reappears in PopCap's ill-fated Facebook game Plants vs. Zombies Adventures, where her ability is left mostly unchanged, with the simple change of producing sun every 15 seconds rather than 24.
- Main article: Sunflower (PvZ2)
Sunflower is a member of the Enlighten-mint family, creating sun every 5 seconds and gaining a boost in system production depending on their level while her Plant Food effect has her create an instant burst of 150 sun. Twin Sunflower has also returned and like Plants vs. Zombies Adventures, is their own plant.
- Main article: Sunflower (PvZ: GW)
Sunflower lays a prominent role in the Garden Warfare series of shooter games, where she is the medic of the plant team, using her signature Heal Beam to quickly restore an ally's health directly, as well as placing potted Heal Flowers to heal both herself as well as multiple allies at a steady pace.
As with the other playable classes in the Garden Warfare series, she has numerous Character variants based on her, each having their own traits that differentiate them from the standard base character.
- Main article: Sunflower line
Sunflower next appeared in the Chinese-exclusive turn-based game Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars as the first plant in the Sunflower line, evolving into Twin Sunflower and then into Triplet Sunflower. She attacked by firing sunbeams at zombies and had a chance to heal her allies.
Her active ability was Photosynthesis, which healed all plants, even if they were shielded.
- Main article: Sunflower (PvZH)
- Main article: Sunflower (PvZ: BfN)
Sunflower once again appears in the third-person shooter game Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville. She is a Support class who specializes in healing her allies with her signature Heal Beam, now able to give her allies extra health in the process, and her new Sunny Side Up ability, which can heal both herself as well as multiple allies at a steady pace, effectively transforming her into a Heal Flower from previous shooter installations.
Unlike in the Garden Warfare series, Sunflower no longer has any Character variants but instead has a large number of character upgrades, some of which grant abilities to Sunflower's primary weapon and abilities.
- Main article: Sunflower (PvZ3)
Sunflower's latest appearance is in Plants vs. Zombies 3, as one of the main characters in the game's story. However, in gameplay, she only appears in the UI of this game, as well as being one of the main characters.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Sunflower.
- The massively popular multiplayer online role-playing game World of Warcraft features a Sunflower Seeds Sunflower pet.
- The Sunflower Seeds Sunflower pet will often sing "Zombies on your Lawn".
- The Sunflower appears as a purchasable premium store item in The Sims 3. Like the main series, she generates sun every few game hours, which can either be sold for Simoleans or used as fertilizer for plants.
- Sunflower makes a cameo in Bejeweled Blitz, as a tournament "PopCapFriend" player with the score of 446350.
- According to this sticker from Plants vs. Zombies Stickers, she and the Peashooter are best friends. This alludes to how Peashooters protect the Sunflowers in the main series.
- She, along with Peashooter, Wall-Nut, and Potato Mine are the mascots of Plants vs Zombies, appearing in every game, spin-offs, merchandise, comics, etc.
- These are also the only plants with Primal versions in the second game.
- There is a sunflower named "Fred" in the Plants vs. Zombies Comics. Fred is currently the only known male Sunflower in the series, as all others are depicted as female.