Sumo Melon (白瓜相扑手; pinyin: Báiguā xiàng pū shǒu) is a plant in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2 introduced in the 2.1.1 update. He can push zombies back, similar to Spring Bean and Chard Guard, with an unlimited amount of pushes and requires a cooldown after each push.
His design is based on the Cucumis melo, also known as the muskmelon. His name is also based on his design as a sumo wrestler.
白瓜相扑手 (Sumo Melon)
Sun cost: 100
白瓜相扑手是一个热血青年，热爱的相扑这个行业，他每天刻苦提升自己相扑实力，因为它有一个梦想，自己相扑实力可以 “称霸世界” !
Sumo Melon stands still, vigorously repels zombies.
Muskmelon is a hot-blooded boy, loves the job of sumo wrestling, refining his sumo skills everyday, because he has a dream, using his sumo power to "dominate the world"!
Plant Food effect
When fed with Plant Food, Sumo Melon stuns and attracts all zombies in a 2x3 area in front of him, then pushes them all back, as well as dealing heavy damage to all of them.
Sumo Melon's Plant Food effect now pushes all attracted zombies out of the lawn instead.
Use this plant as you would Chard Guard. The only difference here is that you have to protect it or else it will get eaten quickly. If you are stuck on a Pirate Seas level, it would be useful to use Sumo Melon with Wall-nut and Spring Bean. Plant a Wall-nut in front of the Sumo Melon and a Spring Bean nearby. This way you can push back any Imp Pirate Zombie or Swashbuckler Zombie back to Spring Bean.
- This is the first China-exclusive Plant made by Talkweb Games since PopCap Shanghai handed over the development of Plants vs. Zombies 2 permanently to the said company before the Apple Mortar update.
- This also explains how his style, highlight and perspective is different from other Plants. A lot of Plants done by Talkweb shares this trait, including Narcissus.
- He is the first plant in the series to be based on a sumo wrestler, with the first zombie (and entity overall) being Sumo Wrestler.
- His almanac entry refers to him first as "he"(他), but then refers to him as "it"(它) later on. This may be a mistake.
- The original name of the Plant does not make any sense, as there is no such kind of melon resembling its shape known as "白瓜" (lit. white melon). The only type of plant bearing the name can be seen here. A muskmelon in Chinese is known as "白兰瓜".
- Yet this is not the only case for a China-exclusive Plant: another example is Lily of Alchemy (芦藜药师). The word 芦藜, along with its concept name 草寸香, are barely used. The plant is usually referred to as 铃兰 in Chinese instead. Both of the Plants were made by Talkweb.