- For other uses, see Starfruit (disambiguation).
Starfruit attacks by projecting stars in five different directions whenever a zombie is in his line of fire: one to the left, one going up, one going down, one going to the upper right (gradient of 1/2), and the last going lower right (gradient of -1/2). Each star deals 20 damage. If a zombie is exactly in front of him, with or without eating him, the zombie will be damaged by two of the five sides of Starfruit.
- For more information about this character, see Starfruit.
Starfruit is unlocked after completing Level 4-6. He costs 125 sun (175 in Versus Mode) to plant. In this game, Starfruit has his own mini-game called Seeing Stars, where the player is required to fill up certain tiles with Starfruit to form a giant star in order to complete the level.
Starfruit stands out from other projectile-based for specializing in attacking lanes other than the lane he is planted on. His strength lies in his relatively high firepower potential for his cost, as well as the ability to neutralize enemies attempting to attack plants from the back, such as Digger Zombie in the first game and Prospector Zombie in the second. However, this is hampered by Starfruit's awkward firing pattern, which makes the plant incapable of defending himself from direct assault. Because of this, the plant is likely going to be deployed in columns, in which each Starfruit can cover others.
The player can improve Starfruit's performance by funneling the zombies away from the plant, reducing or avoiding the risk of direct attacks altogether. Possible methods include planting Starfruit on water lanes in Pool levels where there are less pressure from zombies, or guiding the horde with Garlic.
To win the mini-game, the player must plant Starfruit on the designated tiles - the only other plant that can be placed there is Pumpkin. Because of this, Pumpkin will prove to be highly useful in defending Starfruits in more vulnerable positions. Other strategies that normally work with Starfruit can also be used in this mini-game to help fending off the horde until the objective is completed.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Starfruit (PvZ).
- When a Bungee Zombie is trying to steal him, he does not try to harm him, but if another zombie is in Starfruit's range, all five stars will shoot at the Bungee Zombie until the zombie is out of the Starfruit's range.
- In the Nintendo DS and DSi versions, sometimes a zombie is within his range, but the star projectile will just bypass the zombie instead of hitting it. This most likely occurs if the zombie is in a lane above him, regardless of position.
- The player can use him to achieve the Grounded achievement (you have to plant him in the fifth lane, where there are Flower Pots), but he must be defended with Pumpkins in order not to make Conehead Zombies eat him.
- He is one of the only three plants that have their own minigame (Seeing Stars), the others are Sunflower (Art Challenge Sunflower) and Wall-nut (Wall-nut Bowling, its sequel, and Art Challenge Wall-nut).
- Starfruit is nicknamed "阿桃" ("Starfruity") in Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West.