- For the version in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, see Spring Bean (PvZH).
- For other usages of beans, see bean.
Spring Bean is the fourth plant obtained in Pirate Seas in Plants vs. Zombies 2. He bounces the first zombie that steps on him back one tile or, if close enough, into nearby water, instantly killing the zombie in question. After bouncing, he will fall asleep for 10 seconds during which he is vulnerable to attack.
Spring Bean is based on the unripe fruit of the Phaseolus vulgaris, or the common bean. His name is a portmanteau of "string bean," a type of bean and "spring," referencing his spring-like appendage and his ability.
Note: The stats shown below only apply to Level 1.
SUN COST: 50
RECOVERY TIME: 10
Spring Beans bounce back zombies that get too close. Will bounce them into water if nearby.
Special: pushes zombies back, or into the water
Weakness: gets sleepy after springing
He's the strong, silent type and little is known about Spring Bean. What is known though: his fan club is a million followers strong. And the ladies love him.
Plant Food effect
When fed Plant Food, Spring Bean will jump into the air then back onto the ground to unleash a great impact, bouncing every zombie on screen back one tile or in nearby water in Pirate Seas. He will also wake up if he was asleep.
When boosted by Contain-mint, Spring Bean knock zombies back an additional four tiles, and his sleep time is reduced to one second.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
| Recovery Time|
|1||0||0||50||20 seconds||15 seconds||300 dps||10 seconds||Normal||Single|
|2||10||1,000||50||19 seconds||14 seconds||325 dps||10 seconds||+10%|
|3||50||2,000||50||19 seconds||14 seconds||350 dps||9 seconds||+25%|
|4||100||4,000||50||18 seconds||13 seconds||375 dps||9 seconds||+35%|
|5||125||6,000||50||18 seconds||13 seconds||400 dps||9 seconds||+50%|
|6||175||8,000||50||17 seconds||12 seconds||450 dps||9 seconds||+65%|
|7||250||10,000||50||17 seconds||12 seconds||500 dps||8 seconds||+75%|
|8||350||15,000||50||16 seconds||11 seconds||550 dps||8 seconds||+90%|
|9||450||20,000||25||16 seconds||11 seconds||600 dps||8 seconds||+100%|
|10||800||30,000||25||15 seconds||10 seconds||650 dps||7 seconds||+115%|
|11||1,000||40,000||25||14 seconds||9 seconds||700 dps||7 seconds||+125%|
|12||1,250||50,000||25||13 seconds||8 seconds||750 dps||7 seconds||+140%|
|13||1,500||60,000||25||12 seconds||7 seconds||800 dps||6 seconds||+150%|
|14||1,750||80,000||25||11 seconds||6 seconds||850 dps||6 seconds||+165%|
|15||2,000||100,000||25||10 seconds||5 seconds||900 dps||5 seconds||+180%|
His Plant Food ability can now stun zombies.
Spring Bean is an impressive plant by himself. In his homeworld, Spring Bean will find most of his utility at his ability to bounce enemies onto water, instantly killing them in the process. Because of this, Spring Bean can be used as an early defender against high health zombies, such as Buckethead Pirate and Gargantuar Pirate; or as a measure against Swashbuckler Zombies in lanes without planks. However, his inability to bounce multiple enemies back, as well as his sleeping time makes Spring Bean a poor choice in later levels - Imp Cannon in particular will create great challenges to Spring Bean, due to the amount of Imp Pirate Zombies it can create, making Primal Peashooters, Kiwibeasts, and Chard Guards more optimal choices to stop these zombies.
Avoid using Spring Bean against the Ankylosaurus, as the flung zombies will push him back first. It is not recommended to use it against Excavator Zombie, as they can shovel him up without stepping on him. The player should also be wary of Troglobites and Arcade Zombies as they can still crush the plant no matter if he's in defensive position or not. His main weaknesses are Gargantuar Prime, Wizard Zombie, Octo Zombie, and Hair Metal Gargantuar, as they can easily disable them from a safe distance, especially Gargantuar Prime and Hair Metal Gargantuar as even their laser or shockwaves can instantly destroy him (even if he's ready to bounce).
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Spring Bean.
- He cannot be attacked by Seagull Zombie/Pelican Zombie, pulled by Fisherman Zombie or hit by Turquoise Skull Zombie's laser beam when he is ready to bounce.
- When he bounces back a zombie on the rightmost column and the adjacent row is a water lane, the zombie will land on the edge of the water lane while still being alive, but then walks into the water and drowns.
- This can occur from a farther distance with his Plant Food effect.
- There is a glitch that if he bounces back the last zombie in the level on the rightmost column and bounce out of the screen (only possible with higher level plant), the level will be completed immediately.
- As of the 2.1 update, he can no longer be crushed by Gargantuars when attempting to bounce them.
- If a Surfer Zombie tries to slam him with his surfboard, the surfboard will break but the Spring Bean will somehow survive.
- He, Chard Guard and Kiwibeast can cancel all of Jester Zombie's projectiles when knocking Jester Zombie back.
- In game, Spring Bean is frowning, but when he gets ready to bounce back a zombie, he is smiling.
- A very serious glitch can occur, where if a boosted Spring Bean is planted right next to a Gargantuar and the Gargantuar attemps to smash him and kill him, the Gargantuar will succeed, despite the Spring Bean being immune to attacks.
- In the Chinese version, he is slightly translucent. This can be seen if he is on an endangered tile.
- He can also stun the Zombot Sphinx-inator when he's ready to bounce back and while he bounces the zombie back the Zombot summoned in Modern Day - Day 32.
- Spring Bean cannot throw Gargantuars into the water to instantly kill them in the Chinese version.
- His Plant Food effect will not bounce any zombies that have been stunned by E.M.Peach.