The Sphinx was based on the real-life Egyptian sculpture of the same name, except it had the face of a Zombie. It had five zombies inside of it holding it up and moving it, indicating that it was hollow. It spawned a column of zombies or the zombies would come out of the right side, as if it were a normal level. It could also summon a few zombies in front of it. The zombies could be smashed with mallets by clicking on them before it was completely summoned. It could release fireballs, similar to the the original Zombot. The fireballs could only be stopped by Iceberg Lettuce's normal ability (Iceberg Lettuce's Plant Food effect somehow did not affect the fireball). When defeated, it flung five zombies onto your lawn, and would not instantly destroy other zombies remaining on the lawn, unlike other bosses. However, in the Advanced mode of Level 10-1, when the Sphinx was defeated, all the zombies outside the Sphinx would be destroyed instantly, with only the ones flung from the Sphinx surviving.
- Functionally, it was extremely similar to the Zombot from the original game, as it sent fireballs.
- The fireballs also had a resemblance to those the original Zombot sent out.
- It was one of four bosses in the series that is not a robot.
- Despite this, the Sphinx's eye looked mechanical.
- It and Desert Death Zombie were the only zombies added to Ancient Egypt in Plants vs. Zombies Online.