- For other uses, see Snorkel Zombie (disambiguation).
Snorkel Zombie is the 12th zombie encountered in Adventure Mode in Plants vs. Zombies. The Snorkel Zombie is able to submerge and progress underwater in the Pool, avoiding hits from all plants except for lobber plants. They will come up to eat any plants in their way, and will submerge again if they destroy it. This is the only time they are vulnerable to normal shots.
The Snorkel Zombie wears a broken snorkeling mask with an orange outlining that exposes its eyes. It has an arm float on its left arm. For its torso wearing, it dons a white colored tank top with a printed design that says "I love Brains!", a red colored pair of shorts as its swimming trunks, and one dark-red colored snorkeling foot fin.
Suburban Almanac entry
In English: Snorkel Zombie
Snorkel zombies can swim underwater.
The Snorkel Zombie absorbs 270 damage per shot, and its appearance changes upon absorbing 135 damage per shot before dying at 270 damage per shot. It does not degrade if it is killed underwater.
- Adventure Mode: 3-3, 3-4, 3-5, 3-7, 3-10
- Mini-games: Zombiquarium, Big Trouble Little Zombie
- Puzzle Mode: Last Stand: Pool, Last Stand Endless
- Survival Mode: all Pool and Fog levels
- Co-op Mode: Co-op Pool, Co-op Hard Pool, Co-op Endless
Aside from forcing them to come up to eat plants, there are several ways to kill Snorkel Zombies. They can be hit while underwater by or killed by instant kills such as Tangle Kelps, Cherry Bombs, and others. The easiest way to combat them is by placing a Wall-nut, Tall-nut, or Pumpkin on a Lily Pad. When surfaced, they act like regular Ducky Tube Zombies, so they should not be too hard to kill. The player can also use a Snow Pea or Winter Melon to slow them down, although the former can only hit Snorkel Zombie while surfaced.
More often that not, a player encountering Snorkel Zombies for the very first time will die several times before figuring out how to beat them, so it is important to develop a tactic swiftly. Among others, one strategy to beat them without luring them up to eat something is to use a Chomper on top of a Lily Pad. A bit expensive, but highly reusable and works very well. A second strategy is to simply use a Squash on a Lily Pad. Even cheaper is using a Lily Pad on its own, although the Snorkel Zombie would eat it very quickly. This would work best if the player has high firepower, and can take it out in the short space of time that the Snorkel Zombie surfaces. The easiest way to achieve that would be with multiple Peashooters, Repeaters, Gatling Peas, or Snow Peas, possibly going through a Torchwood (though not Snow Pea, as Torchwood would negate the frozen effect). Multiple Lily Pads would make this strategy more effective.
Another strategy is to use at least one catapult plant on the pool areas, as they can attack this zombie even if it is submerged. It is also a cheaper way to deal with them while getting the Don't Pea in the Pool achievement.
In the mini-game Zombiquarium the player spends five sun to feed them brains (up to three can be in the tank at a time) to the Snorkel Zombies, which produce sun in turn. The player can also use sun to buy more zombies or to buy the trophy and win the level. Just make sure to feed the Snorkel Zombies every couple of minutes; to tell when they are hungry, the player can keep a brain floating in the tank and wait until they swim towards it. They will turn green when they get hungry, and will die if the player do not feed them quickly.
The player can also take advantages of playing this level to get the achievement Sunny Days, which requires the player to produce 8000 sun.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Snorkel Zombie.
In other languages
- Snorkel Zombie is the only type of aquatic zombie that does not have a land equivalent, although Digger Zombie is under plants as well.
- Snorkel Zombie never appears on the Fog levels without hacking. This is likely to avoid making the fog levels too troublesome. This is why Dolphin Rider Zombie appears in Level 4-4 instead of this zombie.
- A glitch in the Android version caused by exiting the level will cause this zombie to be stuck on the water tile he's on. When this happens, he can only be killed by Tangle Kelp, Squash, a lobbed-shot plant, or any explosive plant except Potato Mine.
- Snorkel Zombie will still do his bubbling animation underwater, even if it is in the middle of a Lily Pad.
- Snorkel Zombie is one of the five zombies that have eyewear, the others being new Dancing Zombie, Zombie Bobsled Team, Newspaper Zombie, and Pogo Zombie.
- It is one of the two zombies with straps on their eyewear, the other being Zombie Bobsled Team.
- If it is killed while he is underwater, only its head will fall off and its body will not be shown. Also, no degrades are shown.
- If it bites a Garlic, it will not make a disgusted face, but it will make the "bleh" sound and move instantly to another lane.
- Additionally, after switching lanes, it will move underwater significantly faster. However, this won't affect its bite speed.
- Snorkel Zombie is the only zombie that produces sun which is in Zombiquarium.
- Snorkel Zombie is one of the zombies not allowed in Versus Mode because it cannot submerge in grass or pavement, therefore making its special ability pointless. The other zombies not available in Versus Mode are Imp, Dolphin Rider Zombie, Ducky Tube Zombie, Balloon Zombie, Zombie Bobsled Team, Backup Dancer, and Dr. Zomboss.
- If a Snorkel Zombie dies from a lobbed-shot plant while it is underwater, then it is one of four zombies that can die without degrading, with the others being Bungee Zombie, Dolphin Rider Zombie (while riding his dolphin), and Screen Door Zombie (if killed by lobbed-shot attacks or by Spikeweed or Spikerock).
- If a Snorkel Zombie dies before it gets in the water, it will disappear. This also happens with the Dolphin Rider Zombie if it dies with its dolphin. However, most of the time the Snorkel Zombie dies early, it will jump in the water without its head and will sink there.
- This is because its dying animation is meant in water and not on land.