- Not to be confused with Roman Shield Zombie.
Shield Zombie looks like a Future Zombie, but it wears a white helmet with a red stripe in the middle and a pair of green visors. It pilots a machine which consists of a glass capsule with an antenna on top and a metal bottom with threads attached to it. It moves with treads like a tank. As it gets damaged, the glass will start to shatter.
Protect himself and nearby zombies with a force field.
Special: creates a shield to protect from incoming attacks
Shield Zombie developed his system using funds from a BiteStarter campaign. The push goal for pushing plants was not met.
Shield Zombie absorbs 500 damage per shot, while the force field absorbs 1200 damage per shot. His appearance changes upon absorbing 80, 160, 220, 300, 360, and 440 damage per shot before dying at 500 damage per shot, while the force field does not degrade.
A few seconds after his arrival, Shield Zombie enables his shield. If it was overwhelmed and destroyed, the shield will reactivate in five seconds, given that the machine is not paralyzed. The shield blocks most non-penetrating projectiles, their effects and their splash.
Plants vs. Zombies 2
Pirate Seas: Piñata Party
Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version)
Lost City: Boss Rush
By themselves, Shield Zombies do not pose much of a threat as they do not have much health, less than a Conehead Zombie. However, the shield is only slightly weaker than a Buckethead, blocks splash damage and can spring up moments after destruction, making him technically a formidable threat. Thankfully there are a couple of workarounds against his shield.
Using plants that ignore the shield (preferably with area damage in the case of direct-damaging ones) can deplete his health with little interference from the strong shield - The shield will not obstruct attacks from any other direction and some non-projectile area attacks, so a Split Pea, Laser Bean, Guacodile, Hypno-shroom, Imp Pear, Snapdragon, Celery Stalker or Spikeweed can all be efficient choices depending on usage. Having E.M.Peach around is also a decent option if other mechanical zombies participate in the onslaught since she can paralyze them simultaneously and destroy the shield. Other instants are also nice picks as a last resort.
Note: Avoid using Primal Peashooter against this zombie as the peas cannot stun or knock these zombies back while the shield is active.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Shield Zombie.
In other languages
|Simplified Chinese||电磁盾僵尸||lit. "Electromagnetic Shield Zombie"|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Zumbi de Escudo|
- The almanac entry's BiteStarter is a parody of Kickstarter, while the pushing ability is a clear reference to the Mecha-Football Zombie.
- The helmet that it wears resembles the ones that the X-Wing pilots wear in Star Wars.
- The Celery Stalker is currently bugged against him as he will attack right before the zombie drives past, causing it to begin eating him.
- It uses claws that come out from the machine to eat plants, similar to Robo-Cone Zombie.
- Its pre-release shield was blue and would cover a 3x3 area, likely nerfed later on to maintain game balance and prevent confusion with Infi-Nut's force field.
- Shield Zombie is the only Far Future Mechanical foe that does not use a steering wheel to control the machine. Instead, it uses a set of joysticks.
- Shield Zombie, Treasure Yeti, Zombie Bull, and Bug Bot Imp are the only machines in Plants vs. Zombies 2 that cannot survive an instant kill.
- If Shield Zombie's force field absorbs too much damage all at once, it will be deactivated for a few seconds, leaving it open to other attacks.
- Shield Zombie and Bug Bot Imp are the weakest zombies that operate a machine, with less health than Conehead Zombies.
- While its shield won't block Citron's Plant Food projectile, the zombie itself can.
- Shield Zombie Protected and its speed is actually Stiff while currently its toughness is said to be Average and its speed is said to be Basic.
- According to the game files, Shield Zombie's original name was Protector Zombie.
- Prior to being scrapped, the Deflector Zombie was to be the veteran counterpart of the Shield Zombie in Far Future expansion levels. On top of mentioning the Shield Zombie in its description, the Deflector Zombie would have possessed presumably better stats with its shield immune to normal damage.
- If Shield Zombie is deactivated by E.M.Peach, the zombie can be seen trying to frantically restart it.
- Shield Zombie and Bug Bot Imp are the only machined zombies that can be devoured by Chomper or Toadstool.
- The Ghost Pepper will not create any spectral particles when attacking the force field.
- If this zombie switches lanes, his shield will not follow him.
- It is different in Plants vs. Zombies Online, having a different design and having a blue shield, like it was planned to do in the beta.
- After the 3.4.4 update, Shield Zombie's force field and zombies protected by it are now immune to splash damage caused by Coconut Cannon, Melon-pult, Pepper-pult, and Winter Melon.
- Spikeweed and Spikerock cannot pop the machine's treads, though they are still effective against the machine themselves.
- For some reason, Bonk Choy will not punch the shield, even though other melee plants like Pokra and Wasabi Whip will.
- Shield Zombie, Basic Zombie, Dr. Zomboss, Knight Zombie, Wizard Zombie, Snorkel Zombie, Octo Zombie, Cave Zombie, Troglobite, Lost Pilot Zombie, Relic Hunter Zombie, Boombox Zombie, and Jurassic Zombie are the only zombies that have represented the game icon. This zombie represented the Far Future icon.
- During an Arena game, there is a glitch where the shield animation and sound effect will still play after the timer ends. It only stops when the tournament screen appears.
- In the "Inzanity" Epic Quest, it is possible to run into this zombie in a Modern Day background with trap tiles. If a boulder tile is activated and hits the zombie with the shield still active, the zombie will be knocked away normally, but the shield remains in place for a couple more seconds.