- For other uses, see Scientist (disambiguation).
Scientist is a recurring character within the Plants vs. Zombies franchise. Scientist was first introduced as a playable character in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare and has been usable in every appearance he has made by the player.
Scientist is a support character, doing best when paired with other zombies, using his technology to benefit himself and others.
As of Plants vs. Zombies 3, Scientist has appeared in four games.
- Main article: Scientist (PvZ: GW)
Scientist has a prominent role in the Garden Warfare series of shooter games, playing the role of healer on the Zombie's side with the secondary role comparable to a spy due to his heavy close-range damage, dealing around 43 to 90 damage with his Goo Blaster when at this close range.
His base abilities in Garden Warfare are the Zombie Heal Station, which has Scientist place a heal station down to heal zombies around it, Warp, which can allow Scientist to easily escape an unfavorable situation or reach a certain point faster, and Sticky Explody Ball, which throws an explosive ahead of him which can stick to mostly every surface, exploding once a Plant is nearby.
Garden Warfare 2 changed Scientist the most out of any pre-existing class. While he keeps Zombie Heal Station and its alternate ability counterpart, Scientist starts with the Heal Beam of Science by default, a zombie counterpart to the Sunflower's Heal Beam to make their roles closer to the same. Scientist is the only pre-existing character to have gotten a new ability at launch (that isn't locked to certain variants of the class).
As with the other playable classes in the Garden Warfare series, he has numerous character variants based on him, each having their own traits which differentiates them from the standard base character.
- Main article: Gadget Scientist
Gadget Scientist costs 5, has 2/3 and lacks any traits. However, when played, every Science Zombie including himself will preform a bonus attack. Gadget Scientist and Zombot Drone Engineer are designed as the two leading synergy cards of the Science tribe.
- Main article: Scientist (PvZ: BfN)
Scientist once again appears in the third-person shooter game Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville. He is a Support class who works on healing and overhealing the rest of the team. His abilities have been readjusted to fit this change to full support, his Sticky Explody Ball being replaced by the Sticky Healy Thingy as a combination of the Explody Ball and Zombie Heal Station and the Heal Beam of Science has been readjusted to the Healing Hose, which allows Scientist to heal multiple zombies at once at the cost of being unable to attack.
Scientist's Goo Blaster has also been adjusted, now firing multiple projectiles at once in a scattered range, which can allow Scientist to hit multiple targets at once for weaker damage than at point blank, which deals up to 33 damage, though he has 10 ammo rather than 6.
Unlike in the Garden Warfare series, Scientist no longer has any character variants, but instead has a large number of character upgrades, some of which grant abilities to All-Star's primary weapon and abilities.
However, Scientist is one of the few characters with a legendary upgrade, which work similar to a variant. This legendary upgrade is the Steam Blaster which shoots clouds of steam that rapidly deal 13 damage, but only has 5 ammo and fires at a rate of 58 RPM (rounds per minute).
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Scientist.
- Scientist creates his own technology, that Dr. Zomboss patents.
- This effectively means that the Scientist's primary weapon, as well as all his ability items, are made by the Scientist himself.
- Despite this, Battle for Neighborville's website states "Scientists are incapable of pondering mysteries deeper than “brainz or plants,” so Zomboss hooked them up with easy-to-fire Z-Tech weaponry."
- He bears a striking resemblance to the Lightning Gun Zombie from Sky City in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- Scientist has the most abilities out of all characters in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare with a total of nine abilities.
- He also has the most character variants of the Zombies in Garden Warfare, having eight variants rather than seven.
- According to Alex Kolakowski , Scientist was the first character created for Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville and served as a basis for designing other characters.