- For other uses, see Scaredy-shroom (disambiguation).
Scaredy-shroom is a mushroom appearing in Plants vs. Zombies. Normally, Scaredy-shroom performs identically to Peashooter in terms of damage and range but with a quarter of the cost. It hides if a zombie is anywhere around a 3x3 proximity, preventing it from attacking until they are defeated.
Scaredy-shroom's name is a combination of "scaredy cat," a term usually used to refer to an easily frightened person, because it gets scared and hides from when zombies are near, and the suffix "-shroom," meaning that it is a mushroom.
Suburban Almanac entry
In levels without sunlight, Scaredy-shroom will find most of its use as an early to mid-game offensive plant. Its low cost of 25 sun means that the player can rapidly amass firepower early on, while its weakness can easily be mitigated by placing it at the back of the player's defense. This is of great importance to the player's success, as sun is much harder to gather in nighttime levels, so low cost offensive plants will be more important than usual. Its superior range compared to Puff-Shroom also makes it better for early defense. In the later stages, it can be easily replaced by other plants, as it has no splash damage capabilities.
For the Good Morning Achievement, it's better to use Puff-Shroom in the day, however, as they don't cost anything and are easy to plant.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Scaredy-shroom.
- Bungee Zombies can scare it from two spaces away horizontally, because they stretch their arms out to the sides.
- It can, for some reason, hide even when planted on Lily Pad or flower pot, meaning that the Flower pot is deeper than it seems, and the Lily Pad has a hole that the plant can sink into if it is terrified.
- It can be considered as the opposite of Puff-shroom, as it can only attack zombies at a long range, while Puff-shroom can only attack zombies at a short range.
- It is the one of five mushroom encountered in the original Plants vs. Zombies that does not make any appearances in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- It shares the same trait as the Shamrock, Shamrockstar, Cactus, and Shadow Peashooter in Plants vs. Zombies 2, as they all hide themselves when zombies gets close. However, Cactus and Shadow Peashooter don't hide out of fear. Rather, it's for tactical purposes.
- It is said to have long range, though it really has the same range as a Peashooter and most other projectile plants, although the long range is likely said because it hides when zombies get near.
- Digger Zombies can scare this plant when underground.
- In I, Zombie, its cardboard version moves its cap like a real plant when it gets scared, despite not performing its normal idle animation.
- It is nicknamed "小胆儿" (lit. "little scaredy") in Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West.