- Not to be confused with Ruby Red.
Rotten Red (双枪石榴; pinyin: shuāng qiāng shíliu) was a plant in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. Originally from PopCap's Make-a-Wish video, he was first introduced in the 2.3.1 update alongside Banana Dancer. However, he was quickly removed in v2.3.2 due to copyright issues, as he was solely designed to be in said video and not in the game.
His ability was to fire a stronger projectile after killing a zombie. The projectile also knocked the zombie it hit back, similar to Primal Peashooter's projectiles.
He was officially coded in the game before being removed and replaced by Dual Pistol Pinecone.
He is based on the pomegranate, a fruit-bearing deciduous shrub or small tree.
His name, Rotten Red, may possibly be based on the Ruby Red pomegranate cultivar, with "Rotten" referring to his malicious expression.
The first half of his Chinese name references the fact that he attacks with both arm pistols, and his costume is a reference to his almanac entry.
双枪石榴 (Rotten Red)
Sun cost: 325
After defeating a zombie, releases a special attack.
Plant family effect: In research and development
Plant Food effect
He fired six homing pomegranate missiles at the closest zombie in the lawn. If they killed the zombie, they would then home to next zombie.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Rotten Red.
- He was the second plant in the series to be designed by a fan, with the first being Plasma Pea, and the third one being Shadow Fanilla.
- Although unlike Plasma Pea and Shadow Fanilla, Rotten Red was added to the game without permission from Make-A-Wish or Miles's family, and was never intended to be added to a game.
- He is the only plant to get removed in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- The Bombegranate payload in Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville looks remarkably similar to Rotten Red.