It does not have any traits, and its ability does 2 damage to a random zombie or the zombie hero every time a mushroom plant or environment, including it, is destroyed.
It is based on the Hydnellum peckii, otherwise known as the bleeding tooth fungus.
Its name is a combination of "punish" and the hyphenated "mushroom." It may also be a pun on the word "punisher."
Its description is a reference to the phrase, "Revenge is best served cold."
- Class: Kabloom
- Tribe: Mushroom Plant
- Traits: None
- Ability: When a Mushroom is destroyed, do 2 damage to a random Zombie or Zombie Hero.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Super-Rare
Believes revenge is best served. Period.
- Rarity change: Rare → Super-Rare
- Sound effect change: Now has its own unique sound effects.
Punish Shroom shines in mushroom decks, as its ability makes up for most mushrooms being easily destroyable and can put your opponent at a heavy health disadvantage, discouraging your opponent from taking control by playing heavy offense to wipe out your mushrooms. Your goals should be to get Punish-Shroom on the field as early as possible, as well as setting up a swarm up mushrooms to threaten your opponent.
Aside from playing mushrooms yourself, Shroom for Two, More Spore, and Mushroom Grotto are able to spam more mushrooms for the price of one. Also, to fully utilize this ability, it is best to play it on the rightmost lane, since in the "Fight!" phase, combat happens from left to right.
But this plant has a major weakness, that being its low stats. Most Kabloom heroes will struggle to protect it due to their lack of health-boosting cards, and the opponent could just destroy it before decimating any other mushrooms. You could get around that by playing more, but this won't patch its health weakness regardless, as even rolling stone/weed spray gets rid of it easily.
A notable synergy is with Pear Paradise. With it, each Mushroom destroyed can cause far more havoc.
Each hero has their own way of using this plant effectively:
- Solar Flare can use hard removal/stat degrading cards like Whack-a-Zombie and Weed Whack to destroy zombies and keep it safe. She can also make more sun to keep spamming mushrooms.
- Spudow can boost its health with cards like Photosynthesizer, move it away from dangerous zombies, and protect it with tough team-up plants like Wall-Nut or even shielding cards like Force Field.
- Captain Combustible can keep this plant alive with major stat boosts or shut down enemy tricks with umbrella leaf.
- Nightcap can use Lily Pad to play it on the water lane to maximize its ability and use bouncing/freezing cards to defend it.
This should be destroyed as early as possible individually. When you are going to play something that uses mass damage like The Chickening to destroy many mushrooms on the field, it is best to destroy this first with a single Bungee Plumber or Rolling Stone first to minimize its impact.
Try not to use Weed Spray or The Chickening if there are a bunch of mushrooms on the field while Punish-Shroom is in play unless it can guarantee victory, because it can activate its ability before it gets destroyed, and without other zombies to block some of its damage (as the zombie is not destroyed until this ability has ended), the damage will go straight to you.
Alternatively, if you don't have tricks to destroy it, you can use Armored or shielded zombies such as Planetary Gladiator or Trash Can Zombie to block some of Punish-Shroom's damage. If Punish-Shroom's ability attempts to hurt these zombies, all or most of the damage will be negated, wasting the ability.
Tricks such as Camel Crossing can also give a better chance of survival to zombies without the aforementioned traits. Due to the randomness of Punish-Shroom's ability, a viable option is playing many weak targets such as Haunting Zombie to absorb the damage instead of you or other important zombies such as Toxic Waste Imp.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Punish-Shroom.
In other languages
|Simplified Chinese||复仇菇||lit. "Avenge Mushroom"|
|Traditional Chinese||懲罰蘑菇||lit. "Punishment Mushroom"|
- Previously, when Doom-Shroom or More Spore was played, Punish-Shroom also triggered its ability, as tricks were one-time use cards and therefore count as "destroyed".
- It does not have a "when destroyed" animation.