- For other uses, see Puff-shroom (disambiguation).
Puff-shroom is a mushroom appearing Plants vs. Zombies. He is a completely free plant, but their range is only 3 tiles and they will disappear after a limited time, unless any Puff-shroom on the field is fed Plant Food, in which they will all get their timer restored.
- For more information about this character, see Puff-shroom.
Puff-shroom makes his return in Plants vs. Zombies 2 as the second plant to be obtained in the Dark Ages with the same sun cost as his counterpart from the first game. In this game, Puff-shroom will flicker and disappear after a minute, but all Puff-shrooms on the lawn will have their timer reset if Plant Food is used on one of them. Puff-shroom has also had his health reduced to half that of a regular plant (300 dps). Witch Hazel has the ability to turn zombies into Puff-shrooms.
SUN COST: 0
RANGE: 3 Tiles
PLANT FOOD POWER: Duration
Puff-shrooms are short-range shooters that last for a limited time.
Special: lives for a limited time
Puff-shroom is hip to all the latest social networks. He loves to surf Sporebook, FungusedIn and ShroomstaGram. But he sometimes misses the simple camaraderie of a good ol' fashioned Lawn Area Network party.
Plant Food effect
When fed Plant Food, he will unleash 30 spores for two seconds, three spaces in front of him. Every Puff-shroom on the screen is also activated, which is a bit similar to Power Tiles. This also resets the duration of all the Puff-shrooms on the field, making them last as if they were just freshly planted. If some of the Puff-shrooms are planted on Power Tiles, the effect will last longer and green outlines will be coming out from the Power Tiles. In the Chinese version, the spores can shoot through the lawn.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
| Plant Food Power|
|1||0||0||0||5 seconds||150 dps||20 dps||Normal||60 seconds||20 dps||3 Tiles|
|2||3||50||4.5 seconds||200 dps||25 dps||65 seconds|
|3||10||200||4.5 seconds||250 dps||30 dps||65 seconds|
|4||25||1,500||4.5 seconds||300 dps||35 dps||70 seconds|
|5||50||2,000||4 seconds||350 dps||40 dps||+ 1.6x||70 seconds|
|6||75||3,000||4 seconds||400 dps||45 dps||75 seconds|
|7||100||4,000||4 seconds||450 dps||50 dps||75 seconds||25 dps|
|8||125||5,000||4 seconds||500 dps||55 dps||80 seconds|
|9||175||6,000||4 seconds||550 dps||60 dps||80 seconds|
|10||225||8,000||3.5 seconds||600 dps||65 dps||85 seconds|
|11||300||10,000||3.5 seconds||650 dps||70 dps||85 seconds|
|12||350||15,000||3.5 seconds||700 dps||75 dps||90 seconds|
|13||350||20,000||3.5 seconds||80 dps||+ 2.2x||90 seconds|
|14||400||25,000||3.5 seconds||85 dps||95 seconds|
|15||450||30,000||3.5 seconds||90 dps||95 seconds|
|16||500||35,000||3 seconds||95 dps||100 seconds||30 dps|
|17||550||40,000||3 seconds||100 dps||100 seconds|
|18||600||45,000||3 seconds||105 dps||110 seconds|
|19||700||50,000||3 seconds||110 dps||110 seconds|
|20||800||55,000||2.5 seconds||110 dps||120 seconds|
Puff-shroom deals twice the damage and its Plant Food projectile travels farther.
Puff-shroom has been significantly nerfed in terms of basic function, as he now has a timed lifespan and will disappear after 60 seconds - without Plant Food or Imitater, the player will only be able to maintain a maximum of ten Puff-shrooms on the lawn at any given movement. Because of this, Puff-shroom can no longer be planted in large quantities and therefore will lose his effectiveness even faster than he did in the first game. He also has less overall health, taking only 1.5 bites from a zombie before being destroyed. However, this is all compensated by his powerful Plant Food ability, which will spread to all Puff-shrooms currently present on the lawn, dealing a massive amount of damage and resetting their duration in the progress without the need of Power Tiles or Tile Turnip.
In Dark Ages, Puff-shroom should not be used to fight Jester Zombies, as they can reflect Puff-shroom's projectile. Puff-shroom is also a poor choice in the Big Wave Beach as his biggest advantage of "being free" cannot be used effectively, since he cannot be planted in the water without the use of Lily Pad, which costs 25 sun to plant.
The player can make great use of Puff-shrooms in levels that require the player to not spend too much sun. Being free, Puff-shroom won't detract from the sun counter, meaning the player is free to plant as many Puff-shrooms as the player chooses. However, it is not recommended to use Puff-shrooms in levels where there is a limit to the number of plants that can be lost, since he automatically disappears after 60 seconds, which counts as a plant lost.
In Frostbite Caves, after a Puff-shroom is fully frozen, if you buy another Puff-shroom and activate Plant food on him, only the Puff-shroom that is not frozen will be boosted. However, after you melt the ice, the rescued Puff-shroom will also be boosted.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Puff-shroom (PvZ2).
- He is the first plant that initiates a chain reaction of Plant Food ability, even if there are no Power Tiles from Tile Turnips or from Far Future to aid him from doing so, unless there is only one Puff-shroom present on the lawn. The second one is the Lantern Cherry, which activates a chain reaction for sun-producing plants on-screen, and the third is Sunflower Singer which also initiates a chain reaction of other Sunflower Singers.
- He is the only plant to do this in the international version.
- If he is planted on Power Tiles, the tiles will pulsate as the Plant Food effect is triggered, but nothing else will happen.
- If the level has been completed but the reward has not been collected and he is about to fade, he will stay on the lawn instead.
- In his Almanac entry, Sporebook is a pun for Facebook, FungusedIn is a pun for LinkedIn, ShroomstaGram is a pun for Instagram, and Lawn Area Network is a pun for Local Area Network.
- However, in the Chinese version they renamed these to: Mushroom Blog (菇博), Mushroom Mail (菇信) and Beautiful Mushroom Show (美菇秀秀).
- They are all Chinese puns of Sina Weibo, WeChat and Meitu, all of which are Chinese social media platforms.
- This does make sense since most of international social media are not accessible in China, or being blocked by CCP.
- In Dark Ages - Night 12 and Inzanity epic quests with them, if the player lets the endangered Puff-shrooms disappear, instead of saying "THE ZOMBIES ATE YOUR PLANT!", the game over text says "PUFF-SHROOM DID NOT SURVIVE!".
- As of the 2.9 update, he now has an "about to open mouth" sprite when fed with Plant Food.
- Even though he has the lowest health out of all non-instant use plants, he does not have his own health category on the Almanac.
- Though this is probably due to lack of space, as a plant's Almanac entry can only have a maximum of three categories, those being recharge speed, range, and damage respectively.
- The splatter created when a spore hits a target is a recolor of the splatter caused when a pea hits a target.
- The sound that he makes when he disappears is identical to the sound that Stunion makes when he disappears.
- He appears slightly taller than he did in the first game.