- For other uses, see Potato Mine (disambiguation).
His name is a combination of "potato" and "land mine", an explosive device concealed under or on the ground designed to destroy or disable enemy targets, ranging from combatants to vehicles and tanks.
Unlike Potato Mine's word on the speech bubble, which is "SPUDOW!" when he explodes, Primal Potato Mine's is "SPUD OOP!!", a portmanteau of "spud" and "oop!". However, in the Chinese version, it still says "SPUDOW!" when he explodes.
Although not specified to a single stegosaur, the back plates mostly resemble that of a Tuojiangosaurus.
Primal Potato Mine
Primal Potato Mine
SUN COST: 50
ARMING TIME: 5
Primal Potato Mines cost more than regular Potato Mines, but they arm more quickly and do damage over a larger area.
Usage: single use, delayed activation
Range: affects area around it
Primal Potato Mine doesn't consider himself to be primal. As far as he's concerned he's state-of-the-art. And who knows? Maybe he is.
Plant Food effect
When given Plant Food, Primal Potato Mine will instantly arm himself (if unarmed) and will create two new and fully armed Primal Potato Mines on two random tiles, similar to his modern counterpart's plant food ability.
Primal Potato Mine will now create three fully armed Primal Potato Mines on three random tiles instead of two when given Plant Food.
When boosted by Bombard-mint, Primal Potato Mine's arm time will decrease to 2 seconds (1 second starting at level 8), and his explosion damage is increased to 3200 DPS.
|Sun Cost||Recharge (Sluggish)||Starting Recharge||Toughness (Typical)||Arming Time (Mediocre)||Damage (Massive)||Area (3x3)|
|1||0||0||50||25 seconds||15 seconds||300 dps||5 seconds||2400 dps||Normal|
|2||10||1,000||24 seconds||14 seconds||350 dps||4 seconds||2800 dps||+ 1.13x|
|3||75||5,000||23 seconds||14 seconds||400 dps||4 seconds|
|4||200||10,000||22 seconds||13 seconds||450 dps||4 seconds|
|5||400||20,000||21 seconds||13 seconds||550 dps||3 seconds|
|6||750||30,000||20 seconds||12 seconds||600 dps||3 seconds||3200 dps||+ 1.25x|
|7||1,000||40,000||18 seconds||12 seconds||650 dps||3 seconds|
|8||1,250||50,000||17 seconds||11 seconds||700 dps||2 seconds|
|9||1,500||60,000||16 seconds||11 seconds||800 dps||2 seconds|
|10||2,000||75,000||15 seconds||10 seconds||900 dps||2 seconds|
- Chance to Boost
- Damage Pierce
Primal Potato Mine is a significantly improved version of his modern counterpart, as his positive attributes can easily outweigh the slightly increased sun cost. Compared to Potato Mine's blast radius, Primal Potato Mine is nine times as large and can cover up to three lanes at once, allowing Primal Potato Mine to control the crowd much more easily as well as destroy obstacles such as tombstones and frozen blocks.
In addition, Primal Potato Mine suffers very little from his counterpart's arming time problem, and can be planted one space ahead of the zombies with the help of slowing plants. These factors combined makes Primal Potato Mine a highly useful plant both for offense and defense.
Plants with stunning effects such as E.M.Peach & Stunion can stop the zombies whilst Primal Potato Mine arms. Primal Potato Mine really shines once he reaches higher levels, in which the increased damage radius will allow one Primal Potato Mine in the middle row to damage zombies in every row.
Primal Potato Mine's Plant Food ability is extremely powerful; he can destroy almost every zombie on the right side of the lawn. Using Tile Turnip is also a viable option, which will allow many waves of zombies to be instantly killed at the cost of only one Plant Food.
In Wild West, Primal Potato Mines can be used to deal with Chicken Wrangler Zombies as their explosion can take out all of the Zombie Chickens when timed perfectly. They can also deal with Pianist Zombies and the crowd of Cowboy Zombies who are switching lanes.
In Far Future, Primal Potato Mines can destroy any mechanized zombies instantly within their damage area as they usually absorb just the amount of damage it inflicts. Using this in Terror from Tomorrow levels is recommended for stopping huge waves of mechs. The only zombie to watch out for is Gargantuar Prime as they have 3600 health, and Robo-Cone Zombie, who has 2500 health and likewise requires 2 hits (if Primal Potato Mine is only level 1).
Primal Potato Mines are very useful in Frostbite Caves for dealing with Troglobites. This is because of a beneficial glitch associated with him. If Troglobite pushes a frozen block on Primal Potato Mine, he will be triggered normally, destroying all ice blocks within range.
In Neon Mixtape Tour, the player can pair him with Thyme Warp to defeat a large horde of zombies if used properly. Plant two Primal Potato Mines on the second and fourth row, then pile up the zombies by using a Thyme Warp. Using this strategy can hugely decrease the amount of zombies present on the lawn, it can even defeat Hair Metal Gargantuars. Using this strategy has no problem in terms of sun cost as both plants cost little sun individually.
The thing to worry about is the recharge time of both plants, as both plants do not have fast recharge. Also, take note not to place the Primal Potato Mines too near or too far from the zombies, as putting them too near may end in them being eaten or prematurely activated and putting them too far may decrease the amount of defeated zombies as some zombies are significantly faster than others.
Do note that he is unable to hit aerial foes, such as the Bug Zombie. Use Blover to swiftly dispatch them.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Primal Potato Mine.
- The duplicates from his Plant Food effect take a moment to arm, during which they can be eaten.
- It is possible for the mine to be eaten before it arms, even during the arming animation.
- Primal Potato Mine's explosion is not counted as a fire effect. As such, he will not defrost zombies that are affected by ice-based effects. As his explosion also does not use the charred animation, several things can happen:
- Zombies defeated by it will only drop their heads. Those who do not will simply despawn.
- Surfer Zombie drops his board when destroyed by the mine, unless he is shrunken.
- His abilities may have been based on the past (but temporary) buff of Potato Mine where he was able to blow up tombstones and surfboards in a 3x3 area around him.
- Him (along with Potato Mine) will not be crushed by frozen blocks and arcade machines, but instead act as if they do not exist. This was coded to prevent said objects from crushing said plants.
- This can also happen when he is struck by the Zombot Dinotronic Mechasaur's missiles and lasers.
- Regardless of what stage he was in when defeated, Intensive Carrot will always revive him to his on-planting stage. The same applies for Potato Mine, Pea Pod, Sun-shroom, Strawburst, Escape Root, and Kiwibeast.
- When thrown away by Excavator Zombie, he instantly arms upon landing.
Specific to the Chinese version
- In this version, his arming time is slightly slower than in the international version.
- He is the only primal plant that cannot upgrade to level 5 and has a different sun cost compared to the international version.