- For the Chinese spinoff version, see Plants vs. Zombies 3D.
Plants vs. Zombies 3 (abbreviated as PvZ3) is a tower defense game released by PopCap Games. This game is a sequel to Plants vs. Zombies 2. It was released on Android devices for pre-alpha testing on Tuesday, July 16, 2019 for a limited amount of users in the United States and Canada. The pre-alpha ended on February 10, 2020 and was soft launched on February 25, 2020 in select countries, namely the Philippines, Romania, and Indonesia.
On October 14, 2020, it was confirmed that the soft launch would be unavailable on November 18, 2020 to make bigger changes. It is currently unavailable.
- 1 Plot (Spoilers)
- 2 iTunes App Store/Google Play Store description
- 3 Gameplay
- 4 Development
- 5 Characters
- 6 Areas
- 7 Glitches
- 8 Version history
- 9 Concepts
- 10 Upcoming content
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Trivia
- 13 References
After the events of Plants vs. Zombies 2, Dr. Zomboss stole Plant Food from Dave and combined it with brains to concoct “Brain Food.” Then Dr. Zomboss fed Brain Food to zombies he hand-picked for their bizarre obsessions, creating Braniacs, Dr. Zomboss' zombie leaders. With the help of his new invention, the Devour Tower and the Brainiacs, the zombies, unknown to the plants at the time, conquer every house and lawn in Neighborville. Soon, the tower invades your house and carries it in its grasp. After going inside and attacking zombies inside, the plants learn that they can push the tower away from Neighborville and save the other lawns. With this new info, the player, Crazy Dave, Penny, Peashooter, Sunflower, Bonk Choy and many others set off on a quest to stop the Devour Tower's reign over Neighborville once and for all!
The plants also learn about the sun-amplifying Solar Sunglasses hidden in the Bank Vault, that Sunflower needs to wear as a vital tool against the zombies. The plants have to seek 3 Magic Beans that know 3 Magic Words to unlock the Bank Vault that holds the Solar Sunglasses.
iTunes App Store/Google Play Store description
Protect your town (and brains) from a brand-new zombie horde in PvZ™ 3!
Protect your town (and brains) from Dr. Zomboss’ latest plot in Plants vs. Zombies™ 3! This new title from PopCap Games brings even more action, more strategy, and way more tacos – with the same tower-defense-style gameplay you know and love from other PvZ™ titles. Collect a team of freshly picked plants, defend your town from zombie attacks, puzzle your way through tricky boss challenges, and connect with others online to show off your lawn-inspiring skills.
TAKE BACK THE TOWN
With the help of his zombie bosses, the Brainiacs, and the massive Brain Fog-spewing Devour Tower, Dr. Zomboss has conquered every block in your town – except for your street! To defeat him, you’ll have to push back the Brain Fog and reclaim your turf in classic tower defense battles. Fight your way up through the fearsome floors of the Devour Tower, where you’ll take on challenging zombies and rescue captured plants to restore buildings and blocks of your town.
COMMAND YOUR PLANT SQUAD
PvZ fan favorites, like Peashooter, Sunflower, and Bonk Choy are back with a whole host of other plant pals. Collect powerful plants, each with unique skills, strategies, and attacks. Become Commander in Leaf of your plant platoon when you make critical choices about which plants to deploy, which to upgrade, and which to level up for succulent wins.
DEFEAT OUTRAGEOUS ZOMBIE BOSSES
Dr. Zomboss and his bumbling band of Brainiac bosses are here and they’re ready to take you out (for dinner). Encounter colossal challenges that will force you to think on your feet, adjust on the fly, and change up your strategy to beat them back.
CONNECT AND PLAY WITH FRIENDS ONLINE
You’re never alone in your town (and we’re not just talking about the zombies lurking in the bushes)! Link up with friends, foes, and innocuous strangers alike to test your zombie-battling skills and strategy online. Compete against others in Arena Mode and climb the League Tiers in Tournaments to earn gems and seeds. You can also create or join a Club to chat, donate seeds, and acquire Club plants.
Plants vs. Zombies 3 is a tower defense game like previous installments in the series, the main differences being that the game is 3D, played vertically, and the lawn is resized to 5x8. Additionally, sun is generated automatically by Sunflower at a rate of 1 for every 3 seconds.
Each level is divided into 2 sections, with a passive middle stage called "Taco Time" that allows you to plant new plants, shovel them, move them and feed them Tacos, which give them Tacobilities that last the rest of the level. However, you get a limited supply per level. In Taco Time, no zombies spawn but you cannot generate sun, making it similar to Last Stand. You can continue the active part of the level and exit Taco Time whenever you like. Other power-ups besides Tacos include Plant Food, giving plants an instant powerful ability, and Cherry Bombs which explode in a 3x3 area.
Outside of battle, you have your world map, showing all the lawns you have saved and ones still in the Devour Tower 's grasp. You can choose to fight in any of the lawns, where Zombie Breakouts happen daily, to get more seeds for plants, currency, and Stars. Or, you can progress in the Devour Tower and beat floors to unlock new plants, zombies, features, and lawns.
The game has taken a more strategic approach compared to past installments, and is not meant to "replace" them, as stated by the developers:
"PvZ 3 is a fresh way to play and not meant to replace the original PvZ or PvZ 2 – those games are amazing in their own ways. For this game, we wanted to incorporate social play, faster combat, and deeper synergies for the plant team. These changes meant that some of the old elements (sorry, Lawn Mowers) were reworked to fit this new vision."
- Main article: Game modes (PvZ3)
On July 16, 2019, Popcap stated that a new Plants vs. Zombies game, Plants vs. Zombies 3, was in development on their forum. The game was in Pre-Alpha and was meant as a way for players to test the game and give feedback for improvements to the game. Many of the requests were listened to, and they helped make the game better, until the Pre-Alpha was closed on February 10th, when the developers stated they were going through a new phase in development.
Later, on February 25th, 2020, Popcap revealed the game to a few select countries for a soft-launch phase. No official release date is clear as of this time.
- Main article: Plants (PvZ3)
- Repeater (As a Tacobility for Peashooter)
- Spikerock (As a Tacobility for Spikeweed)
- Winter Melon (As a Tacobility for Melon-Pult)
- Ice Queen (As a Tacobility for Snow Pea)
- Garlic Drone (As a Tacobility for Garlic)
- Jugger-Nut (As a Tacobility for Wall-Nut)
- Hothead (As a Tacobility for Potato Mine)
- Main article: Zombies (PvZ3)
- Late Boomer
- Keytar Zombie
- Ghost Zombie
- Batty Vimpire
- Werewolf Zombie
- Basketball Zombie
- Slugger Zombie
- Rainbow Bass Imp
- Spotlight Zombie
Including the Devour Tower, Plants vs. Zombies 3 has 12 different areas.
- Devour Tower
- Your House
- Taco Park
- Green Screens Theater
- Dave's Workshop
- Jubilee Nightclub
- Sunnyfield Farm
- Silicorn Lab
- Shallot Graveyard
- BBQ Beach
- Mulchburger Fast Food
- Savings & Lawn Bank
- After the first server update, the level progress bar was unintentionally hidden under the score bar. This was fixed in the 15.1 update.
- During the Graveyard Trick 'Grave Danger!', a gravestone can rise on a tile occupied by a plant. The plant will function normally, but Plant Food and Tacos can't be used on it until the gravestone has been destroyed.
- Under unknown conditions, the game can softlock at the end of the stage. This can be fixed either by digging up plants or force closing the game.
- When a player tried to donate seeds in their club, a pop-up that said 'Donation has expired' would cancel the action and temporally remove the seed request from the player's list. This glitch was fixed in the second server update.
- When a Crossing Guard throws a road cone onto a male Browncoat Zombie's head, the male zombie has a chance to become a female.
- Sometimes, after a battle when the lawn is full, you can still hear the plants making sounds.
- Main article: Plants vs. Zombies 3/Update history
- February 26: The game has been soft launched in Ireland, Romania and the Philippines.
- Early March: A server update has been pushed, fixing various bugs and revamping the Devour Tower's UI elements.
- March 10: The 15.1 update has been released, fixing more bugs and improving more UI elements across the whole game, most notably the plant seed packets.
- March 11: Another server update has been pushed, fixing the donation bug.
- Main article: Plants vs. Zombies 3/Concepts
- Main article: Plants vs. Zombies 3/Upcoming content
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Plants vs. Zombies 3.
- Unlike the previous games, zombies (including the parts they drop) sink into the ground when defeated. In the previous games, they simply disappear under normal circumstances.
- This game and Plants vs. Zombies Heroes are currently the only games to use portrait mode.