- For other uses, see Plantern (disambiguation).
Plantern is a recurring character within the Plants vs. Zombies franchise. He is an environment modifier who uses light to make the screen more visible, such as removing fog and revealing invisible zombies.
As of Plants vs. Zombies 3, Plantern has appeared in four games.
His name is a portmanteau of "plant," referring to his leaves and roots and the fact that he is a plant, and "lantern," referencing his light-producing ability and the fact that he is also a lantern.
His trunk like body, and visible roots suggest that Plantern is based on a tree of some sort, his tribe typing in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes further suggests this.
Despite his name, he resembles a streetlamp more than an actual lantern, a detail noted in the Chinese games, calling him "Street Lamp Flower" in their language.
- Main article: Plantern (PvZ)
- Main article: Plantern (PvZ2C)
Plantern next appears solely in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, unlocked after beating the second night of the Dark Ages.
He acts similar to how he did in the first game, with his area altered to a diamond-like shape. Along with this, Plantern now reveals any invisible Bandit Zombies in Dark Ages and Invisi-ghoul zombies in Memory Lane.
Plantern can also stun zombies with his Plant Food ability and is one of the few non instant use plants who can't level up.
- Main article: Street Lamp line
Plantern appeared in the Chinese-exclusive turn-based game Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars as the second plant in the Street Lamp line, evolving from Grass Lantern and evolving into Light Flower. He attacked zombies by headbutting them and specialized in buffing ally plants.
His active ability was Blind Alley, which decreased the attack and defense of enemies by 270 for 3 turns, while his passive ability was Life Light, which gave all plants a healing aura that healed for 60 each turn and increased their defenses by 140 for 5 turns at the start of each wave.
His soulmates were members of the Peach line, giving a health boost, members of the Charm line, increases his dodge chance, and members of the Energy Bean line and Citron lines together, increasing his defense.
- Main article: Plantern (PvZH)
Plantern originally was going to remove an environment when played, a possible reference to his ability to remove fog, but this idea got scrapped, likely as it wouldn't give players motivation to run environments in their deck.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Plantern.
In other languages
|English||Plantern||Portmanteau of "plant" and "lantern".|
树灯 in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
|lit. "Street lamp flower"|
lit. "Tree Lamp" in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
植物燈 in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
|Same as Simplified Chinese|
lit. "Plant lantern" in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
Pflanzterne in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
Planterna in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
|Japanese||プランタン||English name transliterated into Japanese|
|Korean||플랜턴||English name transliterated into Korean|
- Before he was introduced into Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars, there was a beta design for him created. These beta designs were created before the Dark Ages were created, and were thus scrapped when an "official" design was released.
- He also had a different ability than he did in the finished game. He would have decreased the accuracy of all enemies on the board.
- This scrapped design would influence the design Plantern has in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes.
- His leaves and roots are the only parts of him that are found in most plants.