- For the international version, see Plant upgrade system.
Plant upgrade system is a mechanic in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. Plants are able to be upgraded via Puzzle Pieces and money to become stronger, as well as to gain unique effects. The requirement also increases when that plant is upgraded each time. Upgrading plants to Level 5 requires Culture Medium with the same rarity as the plant that needs to be upgraded.
Requirement of each level
|Required Puzzle Pieces||Required coins||Others|
|Level 5||80||500,000||10 units of Culture Medium of|
the corresponding rarity required
- Some plants cannot be leveled up (for example, Power Lily, Sun Bean, Lily Pad).
- Spikeweed, Spikerock, Cherry Bomb, Jalapeno, Iceberg Lettuce, Potato Mine, Cycloque and Jackfruit can only be leveled up to a maximum of level three after the 1.4.0 update.
- For Cherry Bomb, Jalapeno, Cycloque, and Jackfruit, it is because they are instant use.
- For Spikeweed, Spikerock, Iceberg Lettuce, and Potato Mine, the reason is unknown.
- Cycloque is the only plant introduced after the 1.4.0 update to have this trait.
- Zombies can also level up; however, the player cannot control this and it only increases the zombies' health and the damage they cause to plants by 50% with each level (similar to plants).
- As of the latest update, their levels are based on the world order on the map. The later the world they appear in, the higher their levels are.
- Previously, their levels were based on how many worlds you had available. For instance, if you had only 3 worlds unlocked, the zombies would only be at level 2 to 3, but having all worlds unlocked makes the latest unlocked worlds have level 4 zombies.
- Previously, Level 2 plants would have a blue ring around them at all times, and Level 3 plants would have a purple ring around them at all times. These effects were later removed in the 1.4.0 update.
- Level 2 and 3 zombies had a blue and purple electrical effect around them respectively. This was also removed in the 1.4.0 update, with the introduction of Level 4 plants and zombies.
- Level 5 was added in v2.0.0 update.