Pea Pod is a premium uncommon plant card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Mega-Grow class. They cost 1 to play and have 1/1. They do not have any traits, and their ability gives them +1/+1 at the start of every turn, starting from the next turn after they are played.
Their description is a reference to the idiom, "peas in a pod".
- Class: Mega-Grow
- Tribe: Pea Plant
- Traits: None
- Ability: Start of each turn: This gets +1/+1.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Uncommon
Sometimes they squabble, but they usually get along like five peas in a pod.
- Set - Rarity change: Basic - Common → Premium - Uncommon
Despite being an early-game play, Pea Pod does not do well in said phase; although they do have a self-boosting ability, there are a few plants that outclass them due to them having better stats (for the current turn) or being cheaper. But as Pea Pod gradually gains stats over time, they can prove to be a powerful card if you strengthen them well and give them an adequate amount of protection. And while the great amount of care required for protecting them can go to waste if your opponent happens to have efficient removal cards like Rocket Science and Rolling Stone, the Mega-Grow class has access to Umbrella Leaf, which can make Pea Pod Untrickable.
Each Mega-Grow hero generally has an effective way to protect Pea Pod besides boosting them:
- Grass Knuckles can shield them with Root Wall, or play a Team-Up wall like Wall-Nut. He can also boost their health with cards like Photosynthesizer and Steel Magnolia.
- Green Shadow can Freeze or Bounce threatening zombies. She also has her share of Team-Up plants, although they are more frail than those in the Guardian class.
- Chompzilla has plenty of instant-kills and stat-reducing cards. However, instant-kills are not available early-game and usually have limits, while stat-reducing cards for plants are rather limited in general. Instead, the ability to generate more sun to deploy stronger defenses earlier would be her more significant quirk.
- Captain Combustible has many early-game damaging cards that can eliminate threats.
Potted Powerhouse is a great card to pack along with Pea Pod, as she gains stats each turn every time Pea Pod activates their ability while she is in your hand.
Destroying Pea Pod early while their health is still low should be a priority. If Pea Pod hasn't gained much strength or health, Bungee Plumber, Rolling Stone, Weed Spray, and The Chickening should help (although the latter should only be considered against swarms of Pea Pods). If this plant gets out of control, play Locust Swarm, Rocket Science, or Cut Down to Size. If you are playing as a Sneaky hero, zombies with the Deadly trait are also an option. Bouncing them also works, as their stats will be reset.
- Their head growth is similar to the level 2 ability of the Pea Pod in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- Even though they have only one head in its statistics, they have five heads on their card and in the Rank 9 profile picture.
- They can grow up to 5 heads like in Plants vs. Zombies 2. However, even after they grow all their heads, they still play the same animation and still activate their ability every other turn afterwards.
- Unlike their counterpart in Plants vs. Zombies 2, they do not have leaves under their pods.
- When they are frozen, only their bottommost head turns blue.