Monkeyfruit (猕猴桃; pinyin: míhóutáo) is a monthly special plant in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. He attacks by throwing his staff at zombies, which stops when it hits one, and spins for a few seconds, damaging all zombies on that tile. When upgraded, his staff spins around for a longer amount of time.
This plant is based on the Actinidia chinensis. His name, in Chinese, however, is a pun, as the word '猕猴' in its name '猕猴桃' means macaque, a genus of monkey famous in China.
His appearance, according to the aforementioned monkey resemblance, is a reference to Sun Wukong, also known as the Monkey King, originating from the old Chinese classic folk tale Journey to the West, who wears a golden headband and attacks with a golden staff. His costume and appearance, along with his idle animation, and its Level 5 ability of summoning minions from his hairs, further referencing Wukong's abilities in the tale.
Note: Monkeyfruit's in-game recharge is Mediocre.
Sun cost: 200
Monkeyfruit pulls out his staff to attack the nearest zombie and also does damage to all zombies in that square.
Special: Causes damage to all zombies in an area.
Plant Food effect
When given Plant Food, Monkeyfruit gets a giant Monkey King Bar and smashes zombies in a range of five tiles in front of him.
Monkeyfruit will now smash zombies twice and stalls them in the ground for a while.
Monkeyfruit is a tough plant to use, as he has a very small range unless you count its Plant Food. And on early levels, he attacks very slowly. In order to be used effectively, you should try to a use a defensive plant such as Chest-nut, Tall-nut or Infi-nut. Otherwise, he may be eaten up easily. Once paired up, this plant will be extremely powerful against high-health zombies, including ones with a higher level.
Support him with far-ranged plants, such Laser Beans and Winter Melons. Kernel-pult can be used, as if he butters a zombie, he will allow Monkeyfruit to attack that zombie for a longer period of time without that zombie advancing too much, though you may also use Stunion or Iceberg Lettuce. If he is supported via Sunflower Singer, he can boost his strength, specifically on later levels, as he gets stronger and attacks for longer periods of time.
It is not recommended to upgrade this plant to Level 5 as its total damage there is actually lower than Level 4, along with the bonus effects from previous level upgrades being gone.
- He was released in the same month when the Chinese New Year begins as a new-year-themed plant since the year 2016's Chinese Zodiac symbol was a monkey.
- Although he swings the bar to the left before throwing it, he cannot use it to hit zombies behind.
- He did not have his own dancing animation caused by Sunflower Singer until an unknown update.
- He is based on the Monkey King in the book "Journey to the West", with exactly the same costume with the Monkey King.
- His Level 5 ability, plant food effect, Level 3 "Slowing Technique", and attack animation are all based on Monkey King's abilities.
- His costume, if equipped, will momentarily disappear during his throwing animation.