Monkeyfruit (猕猴桃; pinyin: míhóutáo) is a monthly special plant in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. He attacks by throwing his staff at zombies, which stops when it hits one, and spins for a few seconds, damaging all zombies on that tile. When upgraded, his staff spins around for a longer amount of time.
OriginsThis plant is based on the Actinidia chinensis. His name, in Chinese, however, is a pun, as the word '猕猴' in its name '猕猴桃' means macaque, a genus of monkey famous in China.
His appearance, according to the aforementioned monkey resemblance, is a reference to Sun Wukong, also known as the Monkey King, originating from the old Chinese classic folk tale Journey to the West, who wears a golden headband and attacks with a golden staff. His costume and appearance, along with his idle animation, and its Level 5 ability of summoning minions from his hairs, further referencing Wukong's abilities in the tale.
Note: Monkeyfruit's in-game recharge is Mediocre.
Sun cost: 200
Monkeyfruit pulls out his staff to attack the nearest zombie and also does damage to all zombies in that square.
Special: Causes damage to all zombies in an area.
Plant Food effect
When given Plant Food, Monkeyfruit gets a giant Monkey King Bar and smashes zombies in a range of five tiles in front of him.
Monkeyfruit will now smash zombies twice and stalls them in the ground for a while.
Monkeyfruit is a tough plant to use at level 1, as he is very slow.
However, he becomes much more powerful at level 2 and 3, as he can deal much more damage than it does originally. It is recommended to upgrade as higher level as you can. Level 5 is optional because it does only a little bit more damage than level 4.
Monkeyfruit can do crowd damage so it is recommended to buy more of them to accumulate the power.
- He was released in the same month when the Chinese New Year begins as a new-year-themed plant since the year 2016's Chinese Zodiac symbol was a monkey.
- Although he swings the bar to the left before throwing it, he cannot use it to hit zombies behind.
- He did not have his own dancing animation caused by Sunflower Singer until an unknown update.
- He is based on the Monkey King in the book "Journey to the West", with exactly the same costume with the Monkey King.
- His Level 5 ability, plant food effect, Level 3 "Slowing Technique", and attack animation are all based on Monkey King's abilities.
- His costume, if equipped, will momentarily disappear during his throwing animation.