- For other uses, see Magnifying Grass (disambiguation).
As of Plants vs. Zombies 3, Magnifying Grass has appeared in three games.
She is based on Poaceae, the large and nearly ubiquitous family of flowering plants known as grasses. Her name is a portmanteau of "magnifying glass," a convex lens used to produce a magnified image of an object, and "grass," the type of plant this is based on.
- Main article: Magnifying Grass (PvZ2)
Magnifying Grass first appears in Plants vs. Zombies 2, unlocked after beating Day 17 of Far Future. While she only costs 50 sun to plant, her ability also cost 50 sun to activate. Once tapped, she will use 50 of the player's sun and fire a rainbow bolt, dealing 550 DPS. This sun cost can be avoided by planting a Shine Vine on top, but she will fire it whenever Shine Vine is going to make sun, meaning this free shot can be completely wasted.
She is a member of the Fila-mint family, who simply raises her DPS by 800 when he is on the lawn while her Plant Food effect has her fire a rainbow beam that burns zombies in its wake one at a time. While this beam's base DPS is weaker than a normal attack, it costs no sun and will last longer the more sun producing plants (other than Sun Bean or Toadstool) are on the lawn, at first lasting 3.5 seconds.
- Main article: Electric Grass line
Magnifying Grass' next appearance was in the Chinese-exclusive turn-based game Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars as the second plant in the Electric Grass line, who evolved from Lightning Reed and evolved into Thunder God Grass. Her line specialized in stunning large groups of enemies and unlike her mainline appearance, she attacked using lightning.
Her active ability was Discharge! which dealt damage to the closest enemy and any enemy in a plus shape around the initial target while her passive ability was Electroshock, which gave Discharge! a 20% chance to paralyze hit enemies, which made the enemy unable to act for 2 turns.
Her soulmates were members of the Watermelon line for a boost to his critical hit chance or members of either the Flytrap line or members of the Charm line and Dragon lines together for a damage boost.
- Main article: Magnifying Grass (PvZH)
Her ability sets her attack to how much sun the plant hero has that turn, meaning on the first turn she can be played, she will always have 3. However, as a side effect of this ability, if a Seedling transforms into her, she will have no strength at all, since Seedling transforms inbetween turns where no sun has been given.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Magnifying Grass.
- Along with Power Lily, she was intended to be in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 but was scrapped. Her ability seemingly was going to be lowering the attack of zombies around her, but unfinished code has her use the Heal Beam if loaded in.
- She was first shown off in Plants vs. Zombies: Official Guide to Protecting Your Brains, and files were discovered in the game's coding. However, she was confirmed once by an image revealed by EA showing the Far Future seed packet.
- In that book, she is referred to as male, although in game, she is referred to as female.
- In Plants vs. Zombies: Bully For You, Crazy Dave creates a Magnifying Grass that, if looked through, allows the player to see objects from very far away (such as a space station).