Magic Beanstalk is a token plant card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Smarty class. It can be obtained as a card from Moonbean, Lima-Pleurodon, or Sow Magic Beans. It costs 1 to play and has 4/4. It does not have any traits, and its ability draws a card when it is played.
Its name and appearance are based on the gigantic beanstalk in the popular English fairy tale, Jack and the Beanstalk.
Its description is a reference to the giant that owned the castle in the clouds that is reachable by climbing the beanstalk in said fairy tale.
- Class: Smarty
- Tribes: Leafy Bean Plant
- Traits: None
- Ability: When played: Draw a card.
- Set: Token
Giant not included.
- ▲ Tribe change: Bean Vine Plant → Leafy Bean Plant
- Design change: Is now darker in color and has purple sparks floating around it.
- Sound effect change: Now has been given sound effects.
Magic Beanstalk is a 1-sun plant with 4/4 and immediate card draw, making it a must-play if you obtain it. However, all cards that can give you Magic Beanstalks shuffle them into your deck, so you cannot guarantee its usefulness in every match; typically, you will get to use them late in the game, so it is best not to make a strategy relying on them.
While Magic Beanstalk is decent in any deck, they work the best in a bean deck, as the Magic Beanstalk "generators" and Magic Beanstalk itself are beans.
There are three Magic Beanstalk "generators": Sow Magic Beans, Moonbean, and Lima-Pleurodon.
- Sow Magic Beans guarantees four Magic Beanstalks into your deck and is the most reliable of the "generators," but this also means that the other two can outperform it given enough time. It is also a trick, so it leaves nothing else for you other than the chance of obtaining Magic Beanstalks.
- Moonbean has a good health stat for a 3-sun plant, at 5. This allows Moonbean to successfully attack a few times, likely shuffling a good number of Magic Beanstalks into your deck. The Mega-Grow class also has stat-boosting cards and bonus attack cards, aiding Moonbean further on that aspect. However, Green Shadow is the only hero capable of using her in a bean deck, where Magic Beanstalk is the most effective.
- Lima-Pleurodon is an excellent card for shuffling Magic Beanstalks, but only if you have enough card draw going on, since Sow Magic Beans shuffles four at once and Moonbean can survive for longer and has good synergy with her class (although Moonbean is only competitively viable as Green Shadow).
If you come across Magic Beanstalk early into the game, be extremely careful. Magic Beanstalk is a very dangerous card, and if too many appear early in the game, you are pretty much done. Even if it appears later in the game, it is still a good idea to keep an eye on it.
Since Magic Beanstalk has a good amount of health, you will need a glass cannon or a Deadly zombie (including Barrel of Barrels) to safely trade with it. And for tricks, Final Mission and Rocket Science are cheap and effective counters.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Magic Beanstalk.
- With 4 for the cost of 1, it is tied for the highest base strength-per-cost ratio of any card that does not cost 0 in the game, alongside Haunted Pumpking.