Magic-shroom (魔术菇; pinyin: móshù gū) is a plant in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. He throws playing cards at zombies which deal 50 damage per shot forward and backward, but not at the same time.
Magic-shroom's color scheme is very similar to the Agaricus mushroom. The "magic" part comes from his magic hat-shaped cap and the cards that surround the said cap, which are often used for many magic tricks.
His name is a Chinese "play-on-words" in which (魔术 Mó shù), meaning magic, almost sounds like (蘑菇 Mó gū), meaning mushroom. When combined, it forms (魔术菇 Mó shù gū), a play on words of the aforementioned Chinese characters.
Sun cost: 175
RANGE: Front & Back
Magic-shroom throws playing cards back and forth at zombies.
Special: It attacks zombies at front and back
Plant Food effect
When given Plant Food, Magic-shroom summons five large top hats on random tiles on the lawn, creating illusions of zombies that consists of Basic Zombies, Conehead Zombies, and Buckethead Zombies, and sometimes Gargantuars. These zombie illusions are respective to the world the level is in and fight for the player.
He will only spawn Buckethead Zombies and Gargantuars. In the 1.6.2 update and up, he now reduced the chance of spawning a Gargantuar and instead, he will now spawn Conehead Zombie illusions as well.
Magic-shroom is not very strong at battling zombies, as most other offensive plants are more powerful than him. However, he can shoot backwards and can be used against Prospector Zombies and Flying Imps. But the true power of him is in his Plant Food ability, where he is capable of spawning multiple high-health zombies that fight for the player that can include Gargantuars, which outclasses Hypno-shroom's Plant Food effect as Hypno-shroom can only create one hypnotized zombie at a time. Five to ten level 4 Magic-shroom connected by Tile Turnips are very deadly as the player can have a huge wave of illusion zombies to overwhelm the approaching zombie horde.
It is a horrible idea to use him in Kongfu World, as the Weapon Stands can transform the zombies made by Plant Food against the player. His cards can be deflected by Hammer Zombies and Nunchaku Zombies. Drinking Monk Zombies can easily deal huge damage to even Level 3/4 zombies. Also, never use him in levels with Explorer Zombies, Torch Kongfu Zombies, or Torch Monk Zombies unless you can extinguish their torches as they can instantly kill Level 5 illusion Gargantuars in one touch without even allowing them to attack. In Sky City, this also applies against Double-Cabin Aircraft Zombies.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Magic-shroom.
- He shares the same idle animation with Sun Bean and the aquamarine Bowling Bulb.
- For some reason, in the upgrade menu, he has Rotobaga's level upgrade icons.
- However, since the Lost City update, Magic-shroom has new level upgrade icons.
- He first appeared on the Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars website in May 2015.
- In the 1.6.0 update, he and Zorrose had their sound effects added.
- He always shoots the ace of spades card.
- The zombies do not have a hypnotized coloration, but they still fight for the player. This is because they are simply illusions created by the Magic-shroom.
- Since 1.6.2 version, Magic-shroom Plant Food's effect has been nerfed:
- In Kongfu World, if an illusion zombie managed to reach a Weapon Stand, he will somehow get reverted.
- He has less of a chance to spawn a Gargantuar and instead spawn Conehead Zombies more frequently.
- Any illusional zombies that are in Cycloque's range can be attracted. The same is also happen to hypnotized zombies and pumpkin-head zombies.
- Illusion Gargantuars will not attempt to toss their Imps.
- Since Kongfu World has no specific Gargantuar, he reuses the original Gargantuar.
- In his seed packet and Puzzle Piece, he does not have any cards surrounding his cap.
- His cards cannot hurt a Barrel Roller Zombie's barrel. Instead, the cards will fly over the barrel and hurt the Barrel Roller Zombie pushing the barrel or another zombie if the Barrel Roller Zombie has been defeated.
- Even though Magic-shroom cannot destroy Barrel Roller Zombie's barrel, he will keep trying to attack it.