Level 4-1 is the thirty-first level in Plants vs. Zombies, Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West, and Plants vs. Zombies: Great Wall Edition, and it is the first Fog level. It is a regular level. When this level is finished for the first time, the player obtains the Plantern.
- The fog covers the three rightmost columns on this level, leaving only six columns clearly visible for the player.
- Jack-in-the-Box Zombies may explode and destroy some plants.
- A few zombies will still pop out in random spots in the middle of the pool during the final wave. However, this can be prevented by planting an Ice-shroom right before it occurs.
- Required plants:
- Do not worry about the fog, because it will only matter in later levels. Start out with planting Sun-shrooms and Puff-shrooms on the left side of the lawn with the occasional Sea-shroom when it recharges.
- Do not waste time in planting Sea-shrooms. Plant them as soon as they recharge.
- When you have enough sun, plant Peashooters on the leftmost columns without digging up Sun-shrooms (digging up Puff-shrooms are okay because they are free).
- Use instant-kills when the zombies start getting too close to your house.
- If the fog is too much of a problem, the player can plant Torchwoods to clear out some of the fog.