Laser Bean is the first plant obtained in Far Future in Plants vs. Zombies 2 obtained after beating Day 1. Every 2.85 - 3 seconds, he will fire a laser beam down the entire lane he is in, dealing 40 damage per shot to every zombie. The beam cannot be blocked, reflected or resisted in any way, but does not hurt zombies protected by Glitter Zombie's rainbow, just like all projectiles.
- 1 Almanac entry
- 2 Upgrades
- 3 Strategies
- 4 Balance changes
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 See also
Note: The stats shown below only apply to Level 1.
SUN COST: 200
PLANT FOOD POWER: Damage
Laser Beans fire down a lane, hitting all zombies ahead of it.
Range: All zombies in a lane
After a laser eye surgery had gone horribly right, Laser Bean gained a sense of purpose and a new-found affinity for competitive staring contests.
Plant Food effect
He shoots a red laser that deals 2700 damage per shot.
|Plant Food Power
|1||0||0||200||5 seconds||300 dps||40 dps||1800 dps||Multi-Hit|
|2||10||1,000||200||4.5 seconds||325 dps||50 dps||1900 dps|
|3||50||2,000||175||4.5 seconds||350 dps||60 dps||2000 dps|
|4||100||4,000||175||4.5 seconds||375 dps||70 dps||2100 dps|
|5||125||6,000||175||4.5 seconds||400 dps||80 dps||2200 dps|
|6||175||8,000||175||4 seconds||450 dps||90 dps||2300 dps|
|7||250||10,000||150||4 seconds||500 dps||100 dps||2400 dps|
|8||350||15,000||150||4 seconds||550 dps||110 dps||2500 dps|
|9||450||20,000||150||4 seconds||600 dps||120 dps||2600 dps|
|10||800||60,000||150||3.5 seconds||650 dps||130 dps||2700 dps|
|11||1,000||75,000||125||3.5 seconds||700 dps||140 dps||2800 dps|
|12||1,250||100,000||125||3.5 seconds||750 dps||150 dps||2900 dps|
|13||1,500||150,000||125||3.5 seconds||800 dps||160 dps||3000 dps|
|14||1,750||200,000||125||3 seconds||850 dps||170 dps||3100 dps|
|15||2,000||250,000||100||3 seconds||900 dps||180 dps||3200 dps|
Plants vs. Zombies Online
In Adventure Mode
Fires a laser that deals damage to all enemies on target's row with a chance to stun them.
Most useful in Endless Zones, Laser Bean causes damage to all zombies in an entire lane, meaning that a single Laser Bean could take care of the whole lane, specializing in cleaning up large clusters of weaker enemies such as Camel Zombies, Zombie Chickens and Ice Weasels. Compared to other area-of-effect plants, Laser Bean trades a noticeable amount of firepower for increased reliability - while it only deals as much damage as a Peashooter per unit time, his attack has unlimited range unlike Fume-shroom, does not interfere with ice-based plants unlike Snapdragon, and cannot be deflected by Jester Zombies and Parasol Zombies. The low firepower output for a plant that costs 200 sun also means that Laser Bean will have trouble against more powerful enemies, as well as ambushes that can spawn zombies close to the player's defense line, so using him as a support plant is recommended. Against Zombie Chickens and Ice Weasels, you will likely need more than one column of Laser Beans to destroy all of them effectively.
Laser Bean is effective against zombies that can shield themselves by blocking or reflecting projectiles, such as Barrel Roller Zombies, Jester Zombies and Excavator Zombies. They are also effective against zombies that can use obstacles to spawn threats in endless numbers such as Imp Porters, and Arcade Zombies. He is also a useful plant in clearing tombstones as well as neutralize Troglobites and Arcade Zombies attempting to push them with their ice blocks and arcade machines respectively.
In Endless Zones, Laser Bean can be used to deter zombies at lower levels, as it might take up to a few dozen levels before the player can obtain a more powerful offensive option. However, Laser Bean should be replaced if the player wishes to go to higher levels, as even Buckethead Zombies can pose serious threats to Laser Bean. To reduce this threat, however, levelling-up Laser Bean is encouraged.
Laser Bean's Plant Food ability can simulate an ability almost identical to how Jalapeno chars the zombies. This gives him limited use against attacking multiple lanes, such as when a group of Gargantuars are nearing defenses. However, unlike Jalapeno, he can kill airborne Imps with his Plant Food ability and is very comparable to Citron's ability, except his, is more ideal for crowd control as the ability does not stop at zombies which can take more than one instant kill's worth of damage while Citron's power ends when he meets machine zombies like the Robo-Cone Zombie, or Gargantuars, leaving a chance for the other zombies to charge forward.
Laser Bean and Primal Peashooter make a very effective combo because they cover each other's weaknesses. While Laser Bean is weak to high hitpoint zombies, Primal Peashooter is weak to swarms. While the Laser Bean vanquishes the weaker zombies in the horde, the Primal Peashooter has a chance to push the horde back and destroy stronger units.
- ▲ Damage increased from 20 DPS to 40 DPS
- ▲ Plant Food effect damage increased from 600 DPS to 1800 DPS
- ▼ Firing rate decreased from 1.35-1.5 seconds to 2.85-3 seconds
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Laser Bean.
- His Plant Food ability is likely a parody to the Shoop Da Whoop meme and also resembles one of Dr. Zomboss' attacks in the Nintendo DS exclusive mini-game Air Raid from Plants vs. Zombies.
- In the Far Future teaser Piñata Parties, he attacked more frequently, but his main attack only dealt 20 damage per shot, and his Plant Food effect dealt only 600 damage per shot in his lane.
- When watered in the Zen Garden, he looks like he only has a row of teeth in the upper part of his mouth. However, when the Plant Food upgrade is used, two rows of teeth can be seen.
- In August 2013 there was a teaser Behind the Brainz - New Plants and 18 seconds into the video, one of the developers mentioned Laser Bean, which was teasing him before Far Future was even released.
- Although he does not attack zombies using electricity, his seed packets were still in the Electric Piñatas. As of the 6.7.1 update, however, his seed packets cannot be obtained in this way.
- They have instead been replaced by Magnifying Grass' seed packets.
- Shortly after the 6.7.1 update, ads promoting Electric Piñata no longer feature him, instead featuring Magnifying Grass.
- In Plants vs. Zombies Online, Laser Bean dealt 30 DPS per laser.