Lantern Cherry (灯笼草; pinyin: dēnglóng cǎo) is the sixth plant obtained in the Sky City in Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. It is the flying equivalent of Plantern, but unlike Plantern, its light will become weaker over time, then disappear. It can't be eaten nor destroyed. However, this plant does not affect the fog in Dark Ages. It is an environment modifier.
It is based on a groundcherry, more specifically Physalis alkekengi, commonly known as Chinese lantern or strawberry groundcherry.
灯笼草 (Lantern Cherry)
Sun cost: 25
Lantern Cherry makes invisible zombies in visible state.
Special: It shines for some time and can't be attacked.
Plant feature: red plant, flying plantLantern Cherry, Torchwood, and Snapdragon became inseparable friends, and called themselves "The three flame musketeers". But the Tiki Lounge is scared of serving them, because its owner does not want to see burnt tables again.
Plant Food effect
When fed with Plant Food, Lantern Cherry shows all invisible zombies on screen. However, it still doesn’t light up the fog.
It makes all sun-producing plants on screen activate their Plant Food ability, as well as doing it’s own non-costumed Plant Food ability.
It can make all zombies hidden by the Arbiter-X's force field visible and targetable by plants and cannot be destroyed. However, the Arbiter-X does not hide itself and there are no Area-of-effect aerial plants so there is usually no slots for this plant and the player is better off destroying Arbiter-Xs with raw power.
The only thing that redeems this plant is it does activate other sun-producing plants' abilities using its costumed Plant Food ability, but there will be a scarce amount of Plant Food in Sky City levels, and the player may need a Power Lily, which decreases the number of usable slots.
- On Lantern Cherry's old Puzzle Pieces, it appears to be yellow, instead of red like it appears everywhere else.
- When planting it in the Last Stand, it will stay without disappearing.
- This will only work when the player waits as the time of Lantern Cherry's shining passes.
- Lantern Cherry has three different English names. This trait is shared with Ampthurium , Aspiragus , Board Beans , Cycloque , Saucer Squash , and Spinnapple .
- Grass Lantern is the translation of its Chinese name.
- Groundcherry is the English name given to it in the Sky City trailer.
- Lantern Cherry is the official name provided by Colorful Wish, an elite player that works closely with PopCap Shanghai to get better contact with international players.