Keys are items formerly available in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2 and Plants vs. Zombies Online. The player needed them to open gates, and therefore gain access to certain upgrades, plants and Brain Busters levels. There were different variations of keys for each world when they existed in the International and Chinese versions of PvZ2. However, in Plants vs. Zombies Online, there was only one type of key, the Tower Defense Key.
Keys were also originally in the international version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, but were removed in the 1.7 update, as a new method of unlocking plants and rewards replaced the original layout. Any keys the player had before the update were turned into coins.
In Plants vs. Zombies Online, keys were mainly obtained by beating levels for the first time in Adventure Mode. Subsequent replays of the beaten level would not give the player any more keys.
How to obtain
Keys were found as a rare dropped item from all zombies killed in a time zone. The odds of a zombie dropping a key were relatively low, around one percent off of any zombie, regardless of health or speed. Keys could also be found off of the Treasure Yeti every once in a while, and a lunchbox could carry three keys of the area the Yeti was killed in.
- Killing the Treasure Yeti was one of the best ways to get keys, as every other lunchbox had three keys.
- Killing zombies, but keys had a very low drop rate
- Completing Piñata Parties could result in a few keys being rewarded.
- Daily log-in rewards from the monthly reward calendar (Chinese version only).
Plants vs. Zombies 2
Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version)
Plants vs. Zombies Online
- Each gate required three to five keys to be unlocked, except for the Special Delivery gate in Ancient Egypt, and Bronze Matrix gate in Kongfu World which both required only one key.
- In the pre-1.7 versions of Plants vs. Zombies 2, Piñata Party piñatas had a chance to carry one key for any area, as long as the player had that area unlocked.
- The maximum number of keys that could be stored at a time was 99; any more collected would not increase the counter past the maximum.