- Not to be confused with Kernel-pult from Plants vs. Zombies and Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- For the version in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, see Kernel Corn (PvZH).
Kernel Corn is a new playable plant class introduced in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. He returned to Suburbia from fighting overseas during the events of Garden Warfare, only to find that the zombies have conquered Suburbia. Then he decided to bring the fight to them. He is called Corn by the character sticker and Sticker Book.
Fighting overseas during the events of the first Garden Warfare, the Kernel is ready to take the fight to the Zombies. What he lacks in a sense of humor, he makes up for with attitude, and dual Cob Busters.
Kernel Corn was stationed overseas for the events of the first Garden Warfare. Hearing about the conflict at home, he returned to a Suburbia transformed. Now he's ready to lead the Plants to victory, and tacos, but mostly victory.
The Kernel's dual Cob Busters, explosive Shuck Shot and Butter Barrage airstrike mean he's always on the front lines.
Kernel Corn's primary weapon are the Cob Busters, a fully automatic weapon that deals 5-7 base damage and 7-9 critical damage depending on range.
|BBQ Corn||Mob Cob||Pops Corn||Party Corn||Commando Corn|
|Butter Barrage||Kernel Corn tosses a Hot Potato. A massive amount of butter is deployed from the sky in an "x" shape wherever the Hot Potato lands. After a (very) short amount of time, the pieces of butter detonate dealing damage to all zombies caught in the explosions.|
|Bigger Better Butter||Revealed in a live stream, it is the alternative ability to the Butter Barrage. Kernel Corn tosses a Hot Potato, but instead of multiple pieces of butter being fired, one giant piece of butter falls from the sky. it deals 200 damage. If it lands on an enemy zombie, it inflicts an extra 20 damage to that Zombie, as well as paralyzes it. The AOE is about the same as the Butter Barrage, but deals one heap of instant damage when it explodes (Butter Barrage has multiple explosions).|
|Husk Hop||Kernel Corn leaps into the air in a straight line while firing his Cob Busters directly below him, damaging all targets below him.|
|Shuck Shot||Similar to ZPG, Kernel Corn fires two big cobs straight in front of him (each one dealing 125 damage). It does massive damage and is capable of instantly vanquishing anything it hits (except for Z-Mechs), if the cobs manage to score a direct hit.|
|Multi-Shuck||The Multi-Shuck fires 6 corns that deal 26, 30, 25, 20, 15, 15, 10, 22 and 20 damage for a total of up to 183 damage, but the projectiles are spread apart a lot. Like the Shuck Shot, the Multi-Shuck takes 24 seconds to recharge.|
Tips & Tricks
- The Butter Barrage is great at taking out groups of zombies.
- Husk Hop can be used to attack zombies and also to hop up onto rooftops or tactical areas.
- Pull the joystick/control key back to make Kernel Corn stay in one spot. It deals massive damage to zombies and players usually do not notice you nor can they escape in time.
- Shuck Shot is great for taking out Z-Mechs as they are easy to hit.
- Kernel Corn has more firepower than the Foot Soldier, making him a good front line assault class (larger ammo pool).
- Try and throw the Butter Barrage onto objectives.
- A good tactic for taking out a Z-Mech is to use the Butter Barrage, then Husk Hop over the Z-Mech, then fire your Shuck Shot at it when you land.
- Kernel Corn is very similar to the Foot Soldier in many ways, so play it similarly.
- Shuck Shots don't have to be completely accurate. They give off small splash damage when they hit something.
- Husk Hop can be used to quickly and easily get in and out of situations.
- Spamming the jump button immediately after using Husk Hop propels you forward in a straight line until you either stop jumping or lose momentum.
- Only works if you don't touch any of the movement controls.
Post Beta Patch
- ▲ Primary Weapon Start Damage increased from 6.5 to 7.5
- ▲ All of the Kernel Corns, variants and the default, health have been changed to 150 to make him more of a front-line fighter.
- ▲ Magazine capacity was increased by 5.
- ▲ The reticle bloom when shooting was reduced.
- ▲ The accuracy of Kernel Corn when shooting was increased slightly.
- ▲ Magazine capacity was increased by 5.
- ▲ The ranged damage was increased from 5.5 to 6.5.
- The "Kernel" part of his name is a pun on the military rank "Colonel", because Kernel Corn is in the plant military, as well as the fact that the seeds on corn are called kernels.
- The names of his abilities are all alliterative.
- The fact that he fires projectiles from his "arms" seems to reference a concept idea from the original Garden Warfare that deceits plants attacking using their arms rather than their mouths and heads.
- He yells occasionally while firing his primary weapon or using abilities.
- In the beta, the Cob Busters had 40 ammo instead of the 35 ammo in the finished game.
- This also applies to most of his variants.
- The default Kernel Corn is currently the only character in the game to be buffed in every character balancing update.
- He is also the only character out of all his variants to not have a hat without customization equipped.
- His Cob Busters visually lose kernels when the ammo from his primary weapon is used.
- He has the least elemental variants in the entire game, with only having BBQ Corn.