Jams are background music tracks that play at timed intervals when certain circumstances are triggered. They serve as the environment modifier in Neon Mixtape Tour. Jams can give zombies either an increase or decrease in their speed. Additionally, if a jam that is tied to a certain zombie plays, the zombie in question will be able to utilize their special ability. There are a total of seven jams which consist ballad, punk, pop, rap, metal, 8-bit, and power ballad. Here are the lists of zombies that will behave erratically when a jam is playing.
List of jams
Below is a list of jam's corresponding description
|Jam||Internal name||Official name||Description||Lawn description||Other information||Image|
|Ballad||None||Sincerely - The Theme||A smooth and mellow groove that sets the stage for the incoming backyard zombie invasion tour.||No aesthetic changes across the lawn while this song plays.||Nothing happens to zombies' speed or abilities.|
|Punk||Punk||Slam||This hardcore jam finds Punk Zombies moshing and kicking plants across the board to a chorus of “Oi” and anarchy.||Fire trails identical to Jalapeno will scorch the top and bottom of the lawn.||Increases the speed of every zombie by 50% and empowers Punk Zombies.|
|Synth Pop||Pop||Soda Jerk||Synth Pop hooks and an unhinged rhythm engages Glitter Zombie’s rainbow trail in an invincible shield protecting zombies in her wake.||A disco ball drops above the lawn, suspended in the air. Lights will begin to illuminate the floor and neon lights will start flashing through the lawn, albeit transparent.||Reduce 20% speed of all zombies and empowers Glitter Zombies.|
|Rap||Rap||Funkasmic||Rip-Rap-Rippity-Rap this track turns MC Zombie into a bigger, badder, and deffer microphone-twirling scritch-scratching adversary and the Breakdancing Zombie is ready to kick zombies forward with the freshness.||A large flat television with speakers on both sides drops above the lawn, showing Dr. Zomboss' face. The TV is accompanied by lights.||Restores the original speed of most zombies, but gives a speed boost to and empowers Breakdancer Zombies and MC Zom-Bs.|
|Hair Metal||Metal||My Guitar Wants Your Sweet Adoration||Hair Metal is alive and well (with live guitar shredding) as a head-banging Gargantuar melts faces with his mighty “axe”.||Fountains ignite at top and bottom portions of the lawn. Lights with different colors rapidly flashes on top and bottom portions as well.||Increases the speed of every zombie by 25% and empowers Hair Metal Gargantuars.|
|8-Bit||Chiptune||Chiptune||When this nostalgia kicks-in and the chiptunes are crankin’, 8-bit zombies start spawning from arcade cabinets being pushed across the board by a giant quarter-wielding zombie.||Pink fog appears on top and bottom of the lawn respectively. Furthermore, pink tiles will start flashing randomly and an equalizer will appear as the music plays.||Zombies move at normal speed and Arcade Zombies are empowered.|
|Power Ballad||Ballad||Don't You Love How We Love Each Other Together||This is the one you slow-danced to at your senior prom and when the Boombox zombie switches the Jam all the plants on the board swoon, slowing them down with the power of zombie love.||Reverts the layout of the lawn to its original state.||Zombies move at normal speed. It is triggered only by Boombox Zombies.|
|Punk Jam playing.|
|Pop Jam playing.|
|Rap Jam playing.|
|8-Bit Jam playing.|
|Heavy Metal Jam playing.|
- If there are no zombies present on the lawn (either when all enemies are neutralized between flag, or temporarily due to Thyme Warp), the jam currently playing will sound muffled.
- There is a glitch where whenever a special zombie can use its ability at the end of their corresponding jam, it will perform its ability without any problem even if there's another jam being started playing. Adding by, when the player stuns a special zombie while its jam is about to end, it will still be able to perform its ability after the stunning effect end, even if its corresponding jam has finished.
- This will also happen sometimes if a specific jam was interrupted by Boombox Zombie. The zombie that liked the previous jam would still be using its ability.
- The rap jam is the only jam that is shared by two zombies, MC Zom-B and Breakdancer Zombie.
- The punk jam seems to be a remix of the Big Wave Beach theme during the final wave.
- The pop and ballad jams seem to have a remix of sort in a part of the world selection music.
- The 8-bit jam seems to be a remix of sort in a part of the Plants vs. Zombies main menu music.
- Power Ballad is the only jam that can be only played by the zombie that likes it, which is Boombox Zombie.
- Since the 4.0.1 update:
- the lasers during the synth pop jam have been changed. The visibility of the lasers have been reduced, and they no longer appear at the center of the lawn, but rather at the top part.
- the bursting flames during the punk jam have been changed.
- The fire at the top part of the lawn is apparently no longer misplaced.
- The bursting fire coming out at the top fire now appear slower.
- The 8-bit and synth pop jams are the only ones that affect the appearance of the actual lawn.
- The rap jam was used in the Summer Nights trailer. This was shown before Neon Mixtape Tour was released.
- The ballad (regular) jam is in F# minor.
- The punk jam is in A major.
- The pop jam is in E minor.
- The rap jam is in D minor.
- The metal jam is in D minor.
- The 8-bit jam is in G minor.
- Jams return in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, but they serve a different purpose.
- They now only play when a Party variant is using its Party Time! ability except for the 8-bit jam which plays when the Computer Scientist gains Crunch Mode.
- The rap jam is also heard in the Impsomnia Quest, but the pitch is higher and sped up, and is only one of two single sections continually looped.
- The ballad jam contains remixed parts of the Pool theme from Plants vs. Zombies.
- The sound that plays before the rap jam appears to be a stock sound effect, given its use in other media (an example can be found here).
- Jams are the only environment modifiers that technically aren't physical.
- Power Ballad is the only jam that can be heard in Modern Day, although only in Day 41 and Highway to the Danger Room.
- In very high levels of Greatest Hits, there is a bug that after the jam changes, the music will not change but will continue playing until another jam starts (rarely) or continues. Sometimes, the music will completely stop.
Specific to the Chinese version
- If the player finishes a Neon Mixtape Tour level and then enters another Neon Mixtape Tour level (or the same level), the jam that last played in the previous level will start playing for a short time, before changing to the ballad jam.
- If the punk jam plays, zombies can not be slowed down by plants like Snow Pea or Stallia. They will just continue moving at their normal speed. This has been fixed.
- The pop jam chills zombies as if it were chilled by ice plants.