He blows a flame jet three tiles ahead of him against oncoming threats which defrosts frozen ones and ignores combustible objects.
He is immune to all freezing effects and emits heat every 6 seconds to nearby plants in a 3x3 area.
As of the 9.1 update, Jack O' Lantern will automatically attack once zombies enter his range and does not need to be manually prompted.
Jack O' Lantern is based on a pumpkin, specifically a real life object, the Jack-o'-lantern. These are mostly put out at Halloween, referring to how Jack O' Lantern is only available during the Halloween event "Lawn of Doom" (unless there is a special event).
Its fire based attack and Plant Food ability are based on the "Will-o'-the-wisp", a mythological "Ghost Fire" in European folklore often sighted in bogs, swamps and marshes. This is a play on how "Jack-o'-lantern" also serves as an alternate name for the Will-o'-the-wisp.
Jack O' Lantern
Jack O' Lantern
SUN COST: 225
Special: Flame Length
PLANT FOOD POWER: Damage
Jack O' Lanterns spray fire down a lane, doing extensive burning damage over a short distance.
Special: fire recharges over time
"Boo! Mwah-ha-ha-haaaaah," opines Jack O' Lantern. Oh, yes. Things and stuff are scheduled to be seriously spooky when he's around. Count on it."
Plant Food effect
When fed Plant Food, Jack O' Lantern summons five to nine green wisps on random tiles on the lawn. The wisps, which resemble Jack O' Lantern himself, will inflict up to 900 damage before despawning. His attack cool down is also instantly reset.
|Plant Food Power|
|1||0||0||225||20 seconds||15 seconds||300 dps||300 dps||3 Tiles||120 dps|
|2||10||1,000||225||19 seconds||14 seconds||350 dps||350 dps||150 dps|
|3||25||2,500||225||19 seconds||14 seconds||400 dps||400 dps||4 Tiles||150 dps|
|4||50||5,000||225||18 seconds||13 seconds||450 dps||450 dps||200 dps|
|5||100||10,000||200||18 seconds||13 seconds||550 dps||500 dps||200 dps|
|6||200||20,000||200||17 seconds||12 seconds||600 dps||550 dps||250 dps|
|7||400||30,000||200||17 seconds||12 seconds||650 dps||5 Tiles||250 dps|
|8||800||50,000||200||16 seconds||11 seconds||700 dps||300 dps|
|9||1,200||75,000||200||15 seconds||10 seconds||800 dps||325 dps|
|10||1,600||100,000||175||15 seconds||10 seconds||900 dps||350 dps|
* Per single tap burst of flame. Using a continuous stream from a full charge will deal 6x the amount in total.
** Per second. The wisps last for 7.5 seconds.
- Chance to Boost
- Damage Pierce
Since he is a short-ranged plant, it is best to place him near your defensive plants. Using him in the tile behind your Wall-nuts can be useful, as you can stop zombies on the tile of the Wall-nut.
This plant is especially useful when combined with a boosted sun-producing plant and Tile Turnip, because multiple copies of him can easily cover the whole lawn if linked.
Note that he instantly defrosts frozen zombies, so beware when using ice-based plants alongside him if their range doesn't exceed that of his. Alternatives like Pokra may serve better in this case.
Jack O' Lantern is a warming plant, making him a good choice for use on Frostbite Caves. However, due to his slow recharge, you may want to add extra sources of warmth for your plants, as well as for general attacking. Putting Jack on the front lines naturally protects your other plants against Hunter Zombie's snowball effect.
Jack O' Lantern also does excellent on Glitter Zombies and zombies behind them, as he can defeat them all at the same time.
Because of the 9.1 update, Jack O' Lantern can now automatically attack zombies that enter its range without needed to be tapped. This allows all of the Jack O' Lantern to attack by itself when a zombie enters it range, and prevents the player from having to constantly tap on several Jack O' Lantern in order to attack.
- ▲ No longer attacks with manual prompts, instead firing as soon as a zombie appears in his range.
- ▲ Can now be planted on minecarts.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Jack O' Lantern.
- He is the second plant related to the Lawn of Doom event. The first is Ghost Pepper, the third is Witch Hazel, and the fourth is Shadow Peashooter.
- Along with Fire Peashooter, he is the second plant to have a unique sound when dug up.
- Prior to version 9.1.1, he could not be planted on minecarts. Trying to plant one would give the player the message, "You can't plant Jack O' Lanterns on rail carts". The reason was likely similar to Lava Guava, as he would melt the minecart with his flame attacks otherwise.
- His flame jet uses the flame tile's sprite from Lost City.
- He is the only plant to have an apostrophe in his name.
- Although his flames only cover ground tiles, he can burn aerial zombies.
- Like Fire Peashooter, his flames are not affected by the water in Pirate Seas and Big Wave Beach nor do they receive any penalties.
- Update 9.1.1 introduced a bug, where he attacks empty water tiles in Big Wave Beach. As of update 9.2.1, this hasn't been fixed.
- When he is stunned by a Boombox Zombie, he will glitch and starts playing his activation and deactivation sounds repeatedly until the Power Ballad jam is finished.
- His incendiary appearance may refer to how candles are used alongside Jack O' Lanterns.
- According to the credits, he is voiced by John Stumme.
- Sometimes, his flame will not light up correctly. He can still be used the same way, but the player will not know how powerful the flame is.
- In Jack O' Lantern's Tournament, there are five frozen Jack O' Lanterns on the lawn, which is ironic as Jack O Lantern is immune to freeze effects.