- For more information about this character, see Hypno-shroom.
Hypno-shroom converts the zombie that eats him to the player's side, causing it to turn around to attack other zombies and damageable grid objects. The zombie retains its current health, and in some cases, special abilities when converted. He doesn't affect zombies that do not eat him. Zombie Chickens and Ice Weasels will be hypnotized without damaging him.
Due to the absence of the sleeping mechanic, Hypno-shroom can now work immediately planted in levels outside the Dark Ages, but his cost has been increased to 125 sun (the latter does not apply to the Chinese version). His recharge speed has also been increased.
Unlike in the first game, hypnotized zombies will usually not retain their special abilities, while other zombies will have their special abilities glitched. For example, Turquoise Skull Zombie will use its crystal skull to burn zombies, but the laser will head to the player's house, and all Neon Mixtape Tour special zombies will not activate their special abilities regardless of jam. The only exception to this are the abilities regarding creating additional zombies, as any hypnotized units such as Disco-tron 3000 and Chicken Wrangler Zombie/Weasel Hoarder will create hypnotized zombies to fight for the player.
Zombie Chickens and Ice Weasels will be instantly hypnotized by Hypno-shroom without consuming the plant. Hypnotizing Chicken Wranglers or Weasel Hoarders that have not released their respective animals will cause them to instantly release them.
Note: Hypno-shroom costs 75 sun in the Chinese version.
SUN COST: 125
SPECIAL: Zombie Healing
When zombies eat Hypno-shrooms, they will turn around and fight for you.
Hypno-shroom has no trouble persuading zombies to fight on behalf of the plants. But he has yet to convince one to cluck like a chicken. "One day," he says. "One day."
Plant Food effect
Hypno-shroom's cap glows when fed with Plant Food, and any zombie that eats him transforms into the level's respective world version of Gargantuar. In the Chinese version, a non-costumed Hypno-shroom with Plant Food will instead transform the zombie into a Buckethead Zombie, regardless of toughness.
The Gargantuar variants will retain their special abilities and characteristic: For example, Gargantuar Prime will move more slowly and smash twice per attack, Sloth Gargantuar can throw up to three Yeti Imps, and Jurassic Gargantuar has increased durability and lowered speed. Each smash itself can either reduce a Gargantuar's health to the nearest quarter (it will take up to four smashes to instantly kill a Gargantuar) or instantly kill any other enemy. Gargantuar Prime, however, cannot fire their eye lasers, while Hair Metal Gargantuar will generate glitched shockwaves that head for the player's plants and house, which doesn't damage plants. The Dinosaurs from Jurassic Marsh will also interact with zombies affected by Hypno-shroom's effect. If the Gargantuar is damaged to the point it will throw its Imp, the Gargantuar will throw it to the third column from the left no matter where it is, so in most cases it will throw it backwards.
When boosted by Enchant-mint, Hypno-shroom's HP will increase by 300 DPS, and when a zombie is hypnotized by an Enchant-mint boosted Hypno-shroom, the zombies HP will be restored to 125% of its original HP.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
|1||0||0||125||20 seconds||50 dps||100% HP||Single|
|2||10||1,000||125||19 seconds||100 dps||105% HP|
|3||25||2,500||125||18 seconds||150 dps||105% HP|
|4||50||5,000||125||17 seconds||200 dps||105% HP|
|5||100||10,000||100||17 seconds||250 dps||110% HP|
|6||200||20,000||100||16 seconds||300 dps||110% HP|
|7||400||30,000||100||15 seconds||350 dps||110% HP|
|8||800||50,000||100||14 seconds||115% HP|
|9||1,200||75,000||75||13 seconds||120% HP|
|10||1,600||100,000||75||12 seconds||125% HP|
*The amount of health the hypnotized zombie retains based on its current health when being hypnotized.
A Hypno-shroom fed with Plant Food will transform the zombie that eats him into a Gargantuar with increased health from a regular one.
Note: The abilities are bugged and hypnotized zombies' levels aren't affected.
Hypno-shroom continues to suffer from the lack of viable targets, and the hypnotized zombie's lacking performance against their former allies. Hypno-shroom's Plant Food is also deceptive-looking - the Gargantuars take a long amount of time to smash individual zombies and cannot take much punishment in return, and thus are incredibly vulnerable to rushes of weaker enemies, in particular, Zombie Chickens and Ice Weasels since the Gargantuar is not capable of doing area damage.
Hypno-shroom benefits from the usage of Intensive Carrot, as the former is treated as defeated when used and therefore can be revived by the latter. Imitating Intensive Carrot can therefore greatly cut down the cooldown between Hypno-shroom uses, providing that the player does not plant another plant on the tiles with Hypno-shroom. This also works if Hypno-shroom is boosted via the Zen Garden since Intensive Carrot will also create a boosted Hypno-shroom upon reviving. An effective zombie to hypnotize is an enraged Newspaper Zombie or Sunday Edition Zombie, as it will most likely destroy several zombies before being destroyed itself. If there are zombies scattered around the lane, use Plant Food on Hypno-shroom and you will have a clear lane sooner or later, or if not, the number of zombies will have decreased. However, if in Pirate Seas, with Swashbuckler Zombies, using this while the zombie is past the flowers in a "Don't let the zombies trample the flowers" level, will make you fail the objective if you don't kill everything else before the hypnotized Swashbuckler Zombie tramples the flowers. Note that this glitch seems to be fixed in the 7.0 version. Also, in levels with Zombie Kings, this can easily defeat any of them since the Zombie Kings still grant zombies knight helms when they are hypnotized, effectively making him last longer and will easily eat the Zombie King, not to mention Magnet-shroom does not steal armor items from hypnotized zombies. A boosted Hypno-shroom on the third lane can easily take out a Gargantuar, provided you damage the Gargantuar to half health with an instant-kill plant. Since the Imp will always be throw to the third column, they will always end up eating the Hypno-Shroom and because he's boosted, turns into a Gargantuar, before going back and decimating the zombies in his lane. A Jalapeno or just any other area-damage plants can also help out, by destroying groups of weak zombies since Gargantuar's attacks are single-target only. A hypnotized Gargantuar Prime has an advantage as it smashes two times each time it encounters an enemy, which allows it to quickly take out the other mechanical enemies who will often resist a single smash as it smashes twice in a row. Freezing or slowing plants also help out as they prevent the zombies from attacking, giving the Gargantuar more time to kill the zombies.
Don't use the Hypno-shroom on a lane where there is a Medusa zombie, as they will make it useless by transforming the zombie that eaten it into a block of stone that will not only make the hypnotized zombie useless but also make it as an obstacle for straight-shooting plants, this is dangerous since Medusa can petrify strong and helpful hypnotized zombie such as Gargantuar and mechs, unless the Medusa is taken out quickly.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Hypno-shroom.
- Hypnotized zombies can eat tombstones, frozen blocks, Surfer Zombie's surfboards and Octo Zombie's octopi.
- They are no longer ignored by the gargantuar. Each gargantuar smash deals 1800 damage to them and 900 damage to other gargantuars. Additionally, if a zombie was eating a plant, it will change it's target when a hypnotized zombie is attacking it.
- Before the 2.4.1 update, the zombies who ate him somehow regained their full health after being hypnotized.
- This still happens to robot zombies like Zombie Bull.
- However, this is still not fixed in the Chinese version.
- He used to make zombies tougher than normal zombies when hypnotized before 2.9.1 version.
- Hypnotized zombies are affected by the Power Toss, but they will never be tossed off the screen, similar to non-shrunken Gargantuars.
- If a hypnotized zombie eats a Sun Bean before it was hypnotized, it will still generate sun as it takes damage with other zombies. If provided that the zombie isn't defeated, it will produce sun a few seconds after it leaves the lawn.
- Hypnotized zombies can trample the flowers, causing the loss of a level. This is because even though they are hypnotized and therefore on the plants' side, they still count as zombies. This has been patched in 7.0.1. Also, if a hypnotized gargantuar was kicked into the player's house by a Breakdancer Zombie, it will cause the loss of a level, even though it is allied.
- He is featured for free in Dark Ages - Nights 4 and 8.
- He is the first plant to have a positive view on zombies, with the second being Blooming Heart.
- Coincidentally, both are premium plants.
- Turquoise Skull Zombie can instantly kill hypnotized zombies and hypnotized Gargantuars with its crystal skull.
- His hypnosis effect is bugged on the zombie in that the laser will still head to the player's house and burn their plant.
- Hypnotized Troglobites will still push ice blocks backwards towards the player's house.
- If a poisoned zombie is hypnotized, it will be cured from the poison.
- In the Transformation Bundle in the store, he is mistakenly referred to as "Hypnoshroom."
- On March 16, 2017, he became one of 4 premium plants to be permanently purchasable with 100 gems, along with Squash, Jalapeno and Pea-nut.
- Hypno-Shroom is bugged with zombie bull and rodeo legend zombie. If they eat him and get hypnotized, (which is only possible after the imp was thrown) they will still play their imp-throwing animation.
Specific to the Chinese version
- He will not be spawned by Spore-shroom (level 2 and above), despite also being a mushroom.
- This is ironic as he appears on Spore-shroom's level 3 upgrade icon.