Heroes were a game mechanic and variation of plants that were only seen in Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West. They acted the same as their normal counterparts (except Iron Man Nut) that could be moved by the player anywhere (except for dips in the earth at Outsmart the Fire Child and Battle of the Ox-Demon levels) at any time. Once the Hero itself was upgraded to a specific level, they would also have different special abilities and a special skill that would activate automatically once charged, similar to the anger and Plant Food system in Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars. However, the player could only use one Hero in each level, and the Hero would appear on the 5*3 square of the player's lawn immediately once the level started. When the Hero was eaten, it is absent for some time on the lawn, after which it reappears at the center of the lawn.
Each Hero could be leveled up by earning experience when being used in levels. By each time it leveled up, the plant would gain skill points (displayed by leaves) that could be used to upgrade the abilities and skill of that plant, which increased the probability and effectiveness and deals 1800 points of damage to every single non-bosses zombie present. Some skills and abilities could only be upgraded once the Hero reached a certain level.
If a Hero is moved on top of another plant, the plant will be deactivated and stop doing its job, excluding:
- Lily Pad and Flower Pot (continue to support the plant above)
- Wall-nut, Tall-nut and Pumpkin (keeps their high health)
- Oxygen Algae (still provides oxygen)
- Plantern (continue to light up an area)
- Umbrella Leaf (still deflects Bungee Zombies)
- Garlic (to be confirmed)
To upgrade the Heroes, player can either click on the silver statue of Monk Flower in main menu or open the menu before a level when choosing seeds for a level. А menu of heroes opens, in which player can see the level of the hero, their parameters and available improvements. When the Hero is present on the lawn, it increases its experience, gradually earning a new level. When getting a new level, a wave emanates from the hero, dealing 1800 points of damage to all zombies on the screen, and the player receives the skill points necessary to improve one of the skills.
Each hero has five skills. The first 3 can be unlocked at default, the fourth requires the hero to be at level 5 and the fifth requires the hero to be at level 10. The maximum level of the hero is 20, and the maximum number of points is 80, which is exactly enough for a full leveling of all skills. The player can pay for in order to instantly get a level, and for 20 gems he can reset all skills, returning their full cost in skill points.
List of Heroes
Iron Man Nut
Monkey King Peashooter
- All Heroes have a maximum level of 20.
- There are two heroes based on Wall-nut; the Iron Man Nut, and the Nut Wujing.
- Iron Man Nut is the only Hero that is not based on a character that appears in Journey to the West
- On the flat platform of the roof, a Hero deactivates the plant one tile below instead of the ones on the same tile.
- There are several unimplemented hero plants from the game's unused data:
- A Snow Pea hero based on the White Dragon Horse, Xuanzang's Mount on the trip to the west；
- A Tall-nut hero based on Li Jing, a deity known as Nezha's father;
- A Blover hero based on Princess Iron Fan, a demon encountered by the protagonists in the Flaming Mountain, as the Ox-Demon's wife and the Fire Child's mother;
- And a Cattail hero based on Avalokiteśvara/Kuanyin, a Bodhisattva who founded the protagonists in the first place and persuaded them to go to the west, well as helping them several times during the trip.
- If any Hero encounters a Ladder Zombie, the Ladder Zombie will put the ladder on the hero and leave the ladder floating in mid-air.
- If the Ladder Zombie is being slowed down and the Hero moves fast enough, the ladder will be not put down.
- Digger Zombie can attack Heroes while underground.
- Thus it can be hypnotized by Monk Flower while underground.