Not to be confused with Dartichoke.
She does not have any traits, and her ability does damage to the zombie hero for the equal amount of health a plant or the plant hero is healed for.
She is based on a globe artichoke, more commonly known as an artichoke, a variety of a species of thistle cultivated as a food.
Her name is a portmanteau of "heart," referring to the heart icon being related to health in many instances, and "artichoke," the real-life plant she is based on.
- Class: Solar
- Tribes: Leafy Flower Plant
- Traits: None
- Ability: When a Plant or your Hero is healed, do that much damage to the Zombie Hero.
- Set - Rarity: Galactic - Rare
She's a sweetheart, she really is. But fighting Zombies...it's made her hard.
- Added to the game.
- ▼ Ability change: No longer activates her ability with Venus Flytraplanet if she is destroyed in combat.
For a 4-sun plant, Heartichoke has slightly below-average stats, although there is value in her strength stat of 3, which makes her immune to Rocket Science, Cut Down to Size, Rolling Stone, and Weed Spray, making it hard for most opponents to destroy her easily. However, her true potential lies in a healing deck (along with Pepper M.D.) since she will do damage to your opponent depending on how much health you or any plant recovers.
Heartichoke works well with plants that can constantly heal such as Power Flower, Venus Flytrap, or plants in Venus Flytraplanet. In a pinch, cards such as Geyser, 2nd-Best Taco of All Time, and Astro Vera synergize greatly. With Astro Vera, Heartichoke can do 10 damage to the zombie hero, potentially finishing them off. However, take note that the damage done depends on how much healing you or a plant receives, not how much was given. For example, if you play 2nd-Best Taco of All Time, a card that heals 4 health, to heal yourself at 19 health (assuming your max health hasn't been increased by Astro Vera), Heartichoke does only 1 damage to your opponent, not 4.
The best combo for Heartichoke is to play her in Venus Flytraplanet as when Heartichoke does damage, you will be healed for 3 health and then Heartichoke will do damage again. And since Heartichoke is still in Venus Flytraplanet, this cycle will repeat until you are at full health or the your opponent does a Super-Block or is defeated. This can work effectively if you are low on health. However, if she gets destroyed during combat, she will not activate her ability, so keep an eye on her health and the zombies in front of her. It is recommended you protect her with a Team-Up plant or prepare removal cards in case something unexpected happens.
Being in the flower tribe, Heartichoke can also be used effectively with Power Flower, effectively doing at least 2 damage to the zombie hero, and Briar Rose, which will destroy any zombie that hurts Heartichoke.
Each hero can use their other class to help make better use of Heartichoke:
- Wall-Knight can boost his plants' health to allow for more efficient use out of Geyser and 2nd-Best Taco of All Time. He can also protect this plant with Wall-Nuts, or activate her ability by playing Poppin' Poppies.
- Chompzilla can also boost her plants' health to allow for more efficient use out of Geyser and 2nd-Best Taco of All Time. She can alternatively boost Venus Flytraps or plants in Venus Flytraplanet, which is a great way of increasing damage output as Heartichoke does the same amount of damage they do.
- Rose can Bounce or Freeze zombies that threaten Heartichoke. She can also play her in Planet of Grapes to draw extra cards; combined with Aloesaurus, you can create an infinite healing + damaging loop until everything is healed to full, your opponent blocks, or you have 10 cards in your hand.
- Solar Flare can play tricks like Berry Blast and Sizzle to damage and destroy zombies. She can also make a powerful combo with Dandy Lion King: get Heartichoke on the field, then play Dandy Lion King in Venus Flytraplanet. Dandy Lion King does damage equal to half your opponent's health, then Venus Flytraplanet heals you for that amount, after which Heartichoke does that same amount of damage, deducting the remaining half of their health and thus resulting in a victory, unless your opponent's health is odd-numbered, Undying Pharaoh is on the field, or they perform a block on one of the attacks. Other plants like Sour Grapes, Kernel Corn, and Bluesberry can also be used similarly, although not as potent as Dandy Lion King most of the time.
Watch out for this plant since she can potentially do a lot of damage to you. Knockout is the easiest way to destroy her; alternatively, if Heartichoke gets a lot of strength, simply use Rocket Science or Cut Down to Size.
You can use Tennis Champ or Cuckoo Zombie, as they can destroy her in one hit. However, they will be destroyed too unless they do a bonus attack, which will not work if Wing-Nut is on the field as well, making this an extremely dangerous combo accessible by all Solar Heroes. Deadly zombies like Smelly Zombie and Toxic Waste Imp are also good options to use, with the added benefit of being able to exchange with any Wing-Nuts played.
Sneezing Zombie is yet another excellent counter as she disables all types of healing, rendering Heartichoke's ability useless, and reduces Heartichoke's stats, allowing Rolling Stone to be played on her. However, the Sneezing Zombie + Rolling Stone combo is only possible as The Smash.
If you need to stall for time, you can play Planetary Gladiator or Undying Pharaoh to let them absorb the damage. In the case of Planetary Gladiator, it is best to shield him with Escape Through Time or Zombie Coach. You can also Bounce her using cards like Backyard Bounce or Pogo Bouncer. If all else fails, try to destroy any other healing plants that benefit this plant, or remove any Venus Flytraplanets to ensure that Heartichoke will not activate her ability as often.
In other languages
|English||Heartichoke||pourtmanteau of "heart" and "artichoke"|
|Simplified Chinese||心蓟||"Heart Artichoke"|
|Traditional Chinese||甜心朝鮮薊||"Sweetheart Artichoke"|
|French||Coeur d'artichaut||"Artichoke Heart", lit. "Heart of the Artichoke"|
|Japanese||ハーティチョーク||English name transliterated into Japanese|
|Korean||하티초크||English name transliterated into Korean|
|Spanish||Corazón de alcachofa||"Artichoke Heart", lit. "Heart of the Artichoke"|