- For other uses, see Grave Buster (disambiguation).
Grave Buster is a recurring character within the Plants vs. Zombies franchise. He is an instant-use environment modifier that destroys Graves and Tombstones. Grave Buster can be eaten by zombies before it finishes destroying Graves or Tombstones.
As of Plants vs. Zombies 3, Grave Buster has appeared in three games.
It is never stated outright what plant Grave Buster is supposed to be in any of the games he appears in. When asked, series creator George Fan stated that he designed Grave Buster in Plants vs. Zombies to resemble a gravestone himself so that the player can make the connection that his ability had to do with gravestones.
However, his appearance of bark-like vertical cracks and description of having a 'rock-like texture' seems to suggest that Grave Buster in the first game is meant to be a decaying tree, similar to the ones found in typical depictions of a 'spooky graveyard' in media. His scrapped Plants vs. Zombies inspired redesign in Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars further supports this idea.
In Plants vs. Zombies 2, he was redesigned to resemble a mass of thorny vines. This could perhaps be a reference to how vines, typically ivy vines, are seen growing on old gravestones.
- Main article: Grave Buster (PvZ)
In the original Plants vs. Zombies game, as well as all Chinese spin-off games based on it, Grave Buster is the only non mushroom plant obtained in the Night area. He costs 75 sun and removes a grave when used. These graves can drop money or Zen Garden plants.
- Main article: Grave Buster (PvZ2)
Grave Buster next appears in Plants vs. Zombies 2 with a different design, cost, and recharge. They are now based on a bunch of vines, are completely free, but has a mediocre recharge instead of a fast one. Like the first game, he removes tombstones, but his use is less effective as plants can naturally destroy them in this game.
He is a member of the Contain-mint family, giving him an extra 900 health and letting him clear graves a second faster. When he is upgraded to level 6, he will explode after destroying a grave, dealing damage on that tile, similar to Potato Mine's explosion.
- Main article: Grave Buster (PvZH)
Blockbuster is based on this plant, a Root plant costing 4 with 3/3 with Bullseye in the Guardian class, using Grave Busters to destroy gravestones in her lane and those next door when she Evolves on a Plant.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Grave Buster.
- While he doesn't appear in the game, a design for Grave Buster can be found in Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars files, being closer to his Plants vs. Zombies design.
- Its appearance varies vastly between Plants vs. Zombies and Plants vs. Zombies 2. In the first game, it resembles more of a tree stump, while in the second, it resembles a bunch of thorny vines.
- In Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, there is a hat for the Sunflower called "Grave Buster" which resembles the Grave Buster from Plants vs. Zombies.
- Its name could be a reference to the popular movie Ghostbusters, although it may just be a coincidence.
- In the comic series, Grave Buster has his old look in Timepocolypse, and his new look in Grown Sweet Home.
- Some of Grave Buster's sounds can be heard in various pieces of media, typically when a character is on the edge of a cliff.