Ghost Pepper is a premium plant which was released in the 2.9 update for the Lawn of Doom event, she haunts and deals 30 DPS every 0.5 seconds to each zombie in a 1x4 area around her. After 10 seconds from when she haunts her first zombie, Ghost Pepper will explode, dealing 450 DPS to all enemies in a 3x3 area.
Additionally, Ghost Pepper is immune to most attacks from zombies, including transformations that make the plant passive (Wizard Zombie, Octo Zombie and Archmage Zombie in the Chinese version), and can be planted directly on water tiles in Big Wave Beach without the aid of a Lily Pad.
She can be bought for gems during Lawn of Doom, and other various event sales, though her gem cost often fluctuates between 80 and 109 gems.
The Bhut jolokia, commonly referred to as ghost pepper, is one of the spiciest chili peppers in the world.
Ghost Pepper's name also refers to her spectral appearance, and her ability to harm zombies by haunting them.
Note: Ghost Pepper costs 100 sun in the Chinese version.
SUN COST: 75
RANGE: Front & Back
Ghost Peppers haunt zombies that pass by and explode after a limited time.
You might not know it looking at her, but Ghost Pepper didn't always wear that white sheet everywhere she went. She first put it on as a lark for a Halloween party one year. Everyone else had these elaborate costumes, and she thought that it would be funny to dress like a plain ol' ghost. But she fell in love with that costume. It spoke to her. She'd found her calling.
Plant Food effect
When fed Plant Food, Ghost Pepper haunts all zombies in a 4x3 area, dealing a total of 1120 DPS over 3.5 seconds. The Plant Food effect will also reset Ghost Pepper's duration, allowing Ghost Pepper to stay on the lawn longer, similar to the plant food effect of Puff-shroom.
When boosted by Pepper-mint, Ghost Pepper gains an additional 60 DPS for her normal attack, and an additional 200 DPS per tick for her Plant Food attack.
|Plant Food Power
|1||0||0||75||15 seconds||10 seconds||300 dps||30 dps||160 dps||Normal||Front & Back|
|2||10||1,000||14 seconds||10 seconds||350 dps||35 dps||165 dps|
|3||25||2,500||13 seconds||9 seconds||400 dps||40 dps||165 dps||+ 1.3x|
|4||50||5,000||12 seconds||9 seconds||450 dps||45 dps||170 dps|
|5||100||10,000||11 seconds||8 seconds||550 dps||50 dps||170 dps|
|6||200||20,000||10 seconds||8 seconds||600 dps||55 dps||170 dps|
|7||400||30,000||9 seconds||7 seconds||650 dps||60 dps||180 dps||+ 1.6x|
|8||800||50,000||8 seconds||7 seconds||700 dps||60 dps||180 dps|
|9||1,200||75,000||7 seconds||5 seconds||800 dps||60 dps||180 dps|
|10||1,600||100,000||50||7 seconds||5 seconds||900 dps||60 dps||200 dps|
*Per hit. Ghost Pepper's Plant Food effect does a total of 7 hits.
*Ghost Pepper's damage deals to zombies every 0.5 seconds. Her explosion damage does not increase through level upgrades.
When given Plant Food, Ghost Pepper now deals more damage and stuns the zombies in range.
Compared to other instant-use plants, Ghost Pepper trades overall firepower and area of effect for increased damage-dealing duration, shorter recharge time and general ease of use. Therefore, she will find more use in aiding other offensive plants against high priority, but low health targets such as Wizard Zombies, Octo Zombies and Turquoise Skull Zombies, rather than high health zombies like Gargantuars. Compared to Lava Guava, Ghost Pepper has greater range and, therefore, will be better suited against faster enemies, while Lava Guava deals more damage in a much smaller area, and will be more useful against slower enemies.
Ghost Pepper should ideally be planted in areas where large groups of zombies will walk through. Frostbite Caves may provide such choke points in certain slider tile placements, but the player can also utilize Garlic and Sweet Potato to create choke points of their own. Stunning or delaying zombies with plants such as Stunion and Stallia can also increase Ghost Pepper's efficiency by forcing zombies to stay in her area of effect for a longer time period. With Shovel Boost, Ghost Pepper can also be dug up just after she explodes to be refunded some sun prior to 5.0.1.
Ghost Pepper is a highly valuable asset for the player in Big Wave Beach. Not only can she be placed on water tiles without the help of Lily Pad, but she is resistant to most of the local zombies' otherwise dangerous zombies: Surfer Zombie and Octo Zombie will not attempt to target Ghost Pepper, while Fisherman Zombie will usually reel past Ghost Pepper, and can only eliminate her by pulling a plant right next to Ghost Pepper. Ghost Pepper is also highly useful in Dark Ages, especially against Wizard Zombies, as she is one of the few plants that cannot be transmuted by them.
Ghost Pepper should not be planted near the player's house in Far Future, as Gargantuar Primes will often shoot their laser beams in that area and shorten Ghost Pepper's duration. Additionally, frozen blocks and arcade machines can crush Ghost Pepper like any other plants, so the player should be careful when using Ghost Pepper against Troglobite and Arcade Zombie. If you must to, plant her behind so she can kill the zombies without harm.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Ghost Pepper.
- She is the first plant with the ability to hover over water in Big Wave Beach, the second one being Rotobaga and the third one being Caulipower.
- However, only Rotobaga and Ghost Pepper can be planted in air column in Sky City.
- She is the first plant related to the Lawn of Doom event. The second is Jack O' Lantern, and the third is Witch Hazel.
- The following zombies and objects can destroy or harm her:
- Sun Bombs can destroy her if the player collects the sun before landing.
- Gargantuar Prime's laser beams from its eyes can reduce her lifespan, yet cannot completely burn her.
- Mecha-Football Zombie cannot push her directly. However, she can still be pushed by Mecha-Football Zombie if the plant in front of her gets pushed.
- Zombie King when his throne falls onto her.
- Surfer Zombie will not target her. However, if he gets killed while he's near her, his surfboard may fall onto her.
- Fisherman Zombie can kill a Ghost Pepper when he is next to her and hooks a plant behind the Ghost Pepper even when planted on the spot before appearing.
- Troglobite and Arcade Zombie when they push an ice block or arcade machine respectively, onto her.
- Imp Porter can crush Ghost Pepper when he drops his backpack/tent.
- Hair Metal Gargantuar's sonic blast can reduce her lifespan.
- If rammed by Dr. Zomboss or burned by a flame tile (despite being a spectral being immune to flames), she will instantly explode. The boulder trap will simply kick her off the lawn, even though it should only pass through her.
- She is the only plant except for instant-use plants that cannot be transformed into sheep by Wizard Zombie.
- She will not explode if her timer is triggered right before the level ends, similarly to Puff-shroom.
- In the Chinese version, her explosion sound effect is the sound that Melon-pult creates while using Plant Food.
- Additionally, when she attacks, the sound effect from Sun-shroom's Plant Food ability is also heard.
- Her, Lord Bamboo, and Sap-fling were the only monthly special plants that have their Almanac background be Big Wave Beach in the Chinese version.
- After the 1.8 update, however, they all got the normal lawn background.
- According to the credits, she is voiced by Damian Kastbauer.
- Before April 1, 2018, even though her "hair bow" costume was otherwise fully implemented, it could not be obtained in the international version. In the Chinese version, it is obtainable via Puzzle Pieces. Ghost Pepper also has her hair bow on in a sticker in the Sticker Pack.
- If a Boombox Zombie plays his jam at the same time Ghost Pepper is attacking zombies, it will still play the "haunting" animation, but will not deal any damage.
- Her shadow is a part of her idle animation.
- Caulipower shares this trait.
- During the Lawn of Doom 2017 event, she only could be purchased as a bundle with Jack O' Lantern and Witch Hazel. During the second week of the event, however, she was added to the store costing 100 gems.
- She and Shadow Peashooter are the only Lawn of Doom plants to not return in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes.
- Jester Zombie's reflected projectiles will pass through her.
- She is the only plant in Pepper-mint family that can kill an Imp Dragon Zombie.
- She is the second plant in the Pepper-mint Family that can be frozen. The first one is Snapdragon.
- Despite her ghostly abilities and fire-free function, Ghost Pepper is in the Pepper-mint Family instead of the Enforce-mint/Enchant-Mint family.
- In the Chinese version, she is an Orchestra plant despite not having anything to do with music or preforming.