- For other uses, see Diamond (disambiguation).
Gems are items in Plants vs. Zombies 2 used for boosting plants in the seed selection screen, purchasing gem premium plants, sprouts, Piñatas for upgrading plants, and some plant costumes in the store. They can also be used as an alternative way to immediately grow plants and purchase extra pots in Zen Garden.
How to obtain gems
Plants vs. Zombies 2
- Purchasing them with real money (up to 1800)
- Watching an advertisement (3 gems per ad x 3 ads per day (5 gems per ad during Feastivus))
- World expansion Epic Quest (80 gems per one event that lasts 2 weeks)
- Normal Daily Travel Log quests (3 for winning a Penny's Pursuit level, 1 for watching an advertisement, 2 for playing Piñata Party, and 2 for completing 5 adventure levels)
- Destroying the third layer of #caketank (1 gem)
- Completing Penny's Pursuit levels at Hot and Extra Hot difficulty for the first time (4 gems)
- Defeating zombies during the Bonus Prize Phase in Penny's Pursuit
- Registering an EA account to save player data by submitting an email (100 gems for all accounts)
- Obtainable on certain dates in Daily Calendar
Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version)
In the in-game map in later versions.
- Getting them in daily rewards.
- Buying them with real money.
- Various events.
- Defeating other players' lawns in PvP Mode for 10 gems a match, with a maximum of 50 gems per day. (pre-1.7.0.)
Lucky Draw. Having the streak of 20 and 50 uses in Lucky Draw.
- Making an account which requires you to insert your age , phone number and email address (Can only be done once and gives you 30 gems).
- Complete hard mode of some levels (Get 10) or defeat Zomboss level of each world (Get 20).
- Get the maximum promotion reward in the Arena .
- Complete a single Penny's Pursuit level for the first time (Get 5 in Mild, get 8 in Spicy, get 12 in Extra Hot, diamonds can be claimed once in every difficulty).
- Win Dr. Zomboss all 3 times in Penny's Pursuit (Get 30).
- Complete a single Memory Lane level for the first time (Get 30 to 40 in Easy mode level, get 60 in Hard mode level).
- Collect 5 Achievement points in Memory Lane (Get 30 dems and 10 Winter Melon Puzzle Pieces).
- Collect 14 Achievement points in Memory Lane (Get 400).
- Get the redemption code daily on Talkweb's WeChat official account.
The following plants are always in the store, all costing 100 gems:
- Homing Thistle
- Fire Peashooter
- Lava Guava
- Shrinking Violet
- Electric Currant
The following plants are occasionally in the store, all costing 100 gems:
The following plants are normally in-app purchases (iAPs) or seed packet premium plants, but have been put on sale for gems at one point:
- Enlighten-mint - Enlighten-mint Pinata (10 Enlighten-mint seed packets)
It is highly advised to use gems to buy premium plants, as some of them are available for a limited time only and you will not be able to buy them after the deadline. When you have bought all current gem premium plants, you can try to get more gems to be able to unlock new pots in the Zen Garden or for future plants.
It is best not to spend gems in the Zen Garden, sprouts, nor for costumes, as you can simply set your device's clock ahead several hours or use Bernie the Bee to bypass waiting; sprouts are overpriced and are dropped commonly in-game, and costumes do nothing except visually decorating plants, making it worthless. In addition, most costumes can be unlocked in Piñata Parties and Mystery Gift Boxes, although some are store-exclusive.
If a gem premium plant is not available for a limited time, there is a chance that the price will lower and if you spend your gems early and the price lowers afterward, your gems will not be refunded. If you plan to not lose excessive amounts of gems, you can wait until the price of the plant in question gets cheaper.
Another good usage of gems is to get piñatas for upgrading plants. These can make even the weakest plants powerhouses and can make some of the hardest levels incredibly easy. Note that these can be bought anytime and that limited-time plants should be prioritized (unless you don't need them for your collection). Try and get to a decent league (such as Iron and above) in Arena, and then buy the '100' gem piñatas in the store, as the league bonuses are very helpful. Using gems to retain winning streaks in Arena is not recommended, since the reward streak resets after every 7 consecutive wins. The price to retain increases by 10 gems with every loss.
Gems should be spent. Many players will save them up; this is correct, but remember - you can obtain 21 gems with ease each day, with a maximum of 27 if you have more than 4 hours of time. Many offers/plants will stay for a week, as they are likely to be featured in Arena. This way, 7 x 21 = 147 gems in the week, maximum 189. Plants won't cost more than 100, usually, so buying them will be quite easy. Also, you would probably have gotten some gem rewards from last week's Arena tournament. Therefore, you should spend gems, but save 10-30.
- In the 2.1.1 update, gems were introduced along with the Far Future world. They are the replacement for diamonds.
- Around October 2014, gems can now be used to buy gem-premium or limited gem-premium plants.
- Starting from the 2.9.1 update onwards, gems can be used to buy sprouts.
- Also in the 2.9.1 update, the rate of gem drops was heavily decreased.
- In the 3.2.1 update, the rate of gem drops had been increased.
- In the 3.3.2 update on March 11, 2015, gems can now be used to buy costumes.
- In the 3.5.1 update, the rate of gem drops had been increased once more.
- In the 4.5.1 update, the rate of gem drops had been increased once again.
- In the 5.7.1 update, gems can now be used to buy piñatas for upgrading plants.
- In the 6.1.1 update, gems were not available to be dropped from zombies.
- In the update 7.9.1 (Penny's Pursuit) takes place, gems can be obtained in the Boss Battle
- Before the 2.1.1 update, gems did not exist and instead diamonds took their place with the value of 1000 coins. In the 2.1.1 update, gems replaced diamonds and no longer had the value of 1000 coins, now being used for other purposes. It still uses the diamond texture in the Chinese version.
- Gems, however, still take a very similar form as the diamond.
- There used to be a glitch that almost every zombie in a level would drop a gem when killed instead of only a few zombies. This was fixed in 2.8.1 update.
- There is a rare glitch makes the player gets a ton of gems after watching a video to get gems. There is no reason for this.
- Gems in Plants vs. Zombies 2 look exactly like their Plants vs. Zombies Heroes counterparts, except for slight shading differences.
- In Summer Bundle, there is a glitch that the gem will be replaced by "X" if the player does not have any sprouts yet.
- All plants bought with these, including premium plants, are only shared for the current profile.
- 1800 gems and 700 gems look no different in the Store, despite 1800 being more than twice that of 700.
- The maximum amount of these the player can have is 2,147,483,647 (231 - 1). Attempting to reach past this amount will result in the gem counter turning into the minimum negative amount (-2,147,483,648). This is usually done by hacking.
- This happens because 2,147,483,647 (231 - 1) is the maximum value of signed 32-bit integer in computing, and attempting to reach a value higher than this results in an integer overflow.
- #caketank is the only zombie after a long time to drop a gem, but only after its 3rd degrade.