- For other uses, see Gargantuar (disambiguation).
Gargantuars and their world-themed variants in Plants vs. Zombies 2 have the highest health out of all non-boss zombies in the Plants vs. Zombies series. He is the 23rd zombie encountered in Adventure Mode.
In addition to having extremely high health, this zombie crushes the player's plants instead of eating them, capable of destroying Spikeweeds and Spikerocks (Spikerock takes nine crushes in Plants vs. Zombies, but only three in Plants vs. Zombies 2).
They also have several unique immunities to certain plants.
- They cannot be instantly killed by Chomper, Toadstool, Dinonip, Snap Pea, Tangle Kelp, or Fanilla' Plant Food. They will only deal damage.
- They are unaffected by Frostbloom Queen and Shrinking Violet (the later only if at level 1 in the Chinese version).
Once a Gargantuar has lost more than half of his health he will throw his Imp, who lands several squares ahead. In Plants vs. Zombies, he only throws the Imp when at least six columns away from the player's house. In Plants vs. Zombies 2, he will throw his Imp when at least three columns from the house. For Aristocrat Gargantuar, he will throw his Imp at the eighth column.
||A known groan of the gargantuar|
Plants vs. Zombies 2 Hair Metal Gargantuar
Suburban Almanac entry
Gargantuar is a gigantic zombie.
Toughness: extremely high
When Gargantuar walks, the earth trembles. When he moans, other zombies fall silent. He is the zombie other zombies dream they could be. But he still can't find a girlfriend.
Gargantuar really is kind of a big deal.
Damage: crushes plants with pole
Special: throws Imp when damaged
Gargantuar is the embodiment of power, made real. He is a juggernaut of hunger, from which there is no escape. He is fear unleashed. Well, he's fear slightly leashed.
Phenomenally sized zombie stuffed into a tiny unliving space.
Damage: crushes plants with pole
Special: throws Imp when damaged
The ceramic confines of the Vase Gargantuar's home has done nothing to his endless hunger, his immense power, or his vast destructive potential. However, his footspeed could be better.
Massive zombie from a royal line of mummies.
Damage: crushes plants with sarcophagus
Special: launches Imp Mummy when damaged
True Fact #1: The pyramids were built in an attempt to make Mummified Gargantuar seem small. It didn't work. True Fact #2: The Sphinx isn't missing its nose... that is the face of... Gargantuar.
Earth shattering, Pharaoh summoned the ancient Gargantuar, have these guys built the pyramids?
In Chinese: 天崩地裂 , 法老召唤的远古巨人 , 难道金字塔就是这帮家伙建造的 ?
Enormous zombie who redefines the shark attack.
Damage: crushes plants with shark
Special: fires off Pirate Imp when damaged
Gargantuar Pirate likes short walks off the plank, moonlit raiding parties, and the smell of cannon fire. A true romantic.
In Chinese: 惊涛骇浪也阻挡不了这巨人 。 它来自无底的深渊 , 力大无穷 , 也喜欢金枪鱼寿司 。
Wild West Gargantuar
Wild West Gargantuar
Humongous zombie with brand awareness.
Damage: crushes plants with brand
Special: launches Bull Rider when damaged
Massive sloth skinned zombie with a case of the imps. Carries and throws three imps instead of just one.
Damage: crushes plants with icicle
Special: fire off Yeti Imps when damaged
Somewhere along the line, Sloth Gargantuar contracted a bad case of Yeti Imps. He used soap, medicinal powders, and a salve made from sloth slobber in an attempt to get rid of them ... to no avail. But the truth is, he's grown used to their presence. The darn things are itchy. They're always squabbling. They nag him endlessly. But at this point, he'd probably miss them if they ever cleared up.
Terrifying behemoth of exploratory fury.
Damage: crushes plants with torch
Special: throws Lost City Imp when damaged
Porter Gargantuar dreams of the discovery that will make him powerful and influential. Maybe then the Imps will be the one carrying him around. It's always nice to have a dream.
Dark Ages Gargantuar
Dark Ages Gargantuar
Immense zombie who brings the hammer down.
Damage: crushes plants with hammer
Special: launches Imp Monk when damaged
When Dark Ages Gargantuar wants to find pantaloons that fit him, he has to shop at the "Enormous & Towering" store. He hates it though. It's embarrassing. He just wants to shop for clothes where all the other zombies shop.
Hair Metal Gargantuar
Hair Metal Gargantuar
Dominating leviathan of power-rocking mayhem.
Damage: crushes plants with guitar
Damage: bashes sonic blast when metal music plays
Special: launches Impunk when damaged
Hair Metal Gargantuar only knows one chord, but you'd better believe he'll play it all night and then some.
Deep Sea Gargantuar
Deep Sea Gargantuar
Titanic zombie who isn't shellfish with his might.
Damage: crushes plants with driftwood
Special: launches Imp Mermaid when damaged
This big guy loves the water. When he's deep down in it, he feels light as a feather. He feels like he's flying. Most importantly, during those precious moments, he feels as if the weight of Imp Mermaid Zombie has been lifted from his shoulders.
Crushes plants and launches Imps.
Damage: Uses a giant wrench to crush plants in front of it
Always steals Sculptor Imp Zombie's statues.
Damage: Crushes plants with a statue
Troop Capacity: 8
Training Cost: 110
Due to the fact that Gargantuar ate too much, he was very inferior in the army, training his arms till the very end to the point that throwing imps was the best excercise.Pleague Pharmacy effect: Throws three Combat Imps forward.
The Gargantuar absorbs 3000 damage per shot and his appearance changes after 1000 and 2000 damage per shot before dying at 3000 damage per shot or two instant kills. The Gargantuar throws his Imp at 1500 damage per shot or one instant kill.
The Gargantuar absorbs different amounts of damage per shot depending on the variant. He and his variants do not have any degrades. All Gargantuars except Gargantuar Prime, Sloth Gargantuar, Jurassic Gargantuar and Aristocrat Gargantuar will throw or launch their Imp when they absorb 1800 damage per shot. Gargantuar Prime is capable of taking 400 damage per shot more than most Gargantuars. Because he is a mechanized walker, Gargantuar Prime will launch his Bug Bot Imp when he absorbs 2000 damage per shot instead of throwing his Imp. Sloth Gargantuar will throw 1 of his 3 Yeti Imps when he absorbs 1440, 2160, and 2880 damage per shot. Aristocrat Gargantuar will throw his Sculptor Imp Zombie when he absorbs 1 damage per shot.
- Adventure Mode: 5-8, 5-9, 5-10
- Mini-games: Column Like You See 'Em, Dr. Zomboss's Revenge, Buttered Popcorn, Heavy Weapon, Heat Wave, BOMB All Together!, Zombie Trap
- Puzzle Mode: Ace of Vase, Vasebreaker Endless, Me Smash!, Last Stand: Roof, Last Stand Endless
- Survival Mode: all Survival (Hard) and Survival (Endless) levels
- Co-op Mode: Co-op Bowling, all Co-op Hard levels, Co-op Zomboss, Co-op Endless
- Others: Versus Mode
- Player's House: Piñata Party
- Modern Day: Days 4, 14, 15, 16, 35, 39, 44 and Highway to the Danger Room
- Player's House: Piñata Party
- Ancient Egypt: Days 6, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 35, and Pyramid of Doom
- Modern Day: Days 2, 16, 29, 32 and 40
- Arena: Bombegranate's Garden Party Tournament
- Player's House: Piñata Party
- Pirate Seas: Days 8, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 32, 34, 35, and Dead Man's Booty
- Big Wave Beach: Piñata Party
- Modern Day: Days 16, 30, 32, 42 and 44
Wild West Gargantuar
- Player's House: Piñata Party
- Pirate Seas: "Rescue the Gold Bloom" Epic Quest - Step 6
- Wild West: Days 8, 25, 26, 27, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, and Big Bad Butte
- Modern Day: Days 16, 30, 32 and 44
Dark Ages Gargantuar
- Dark Ages: Nights 10, 14, 17, 19, 20, Arthur's Challenge, and Piñata Party
- Modern Day: Days 12, 33 and 39
Deep Sea Gargantuar
- Player's House: Piñata Party
- Neon Mixtape Tour: "Epic Quest: Premium Seeds - Zoybean Pod" - Step 3
- Big Wave Beach: Days 8, 14, 16, 18, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, and Tiki Torch-er
- Modern Day: Days 7, 16, 23 and 33
- Player's House: Piñata Party
- Far Future: Piñata Party
- Frostbite Caves: Days 13, 16, 27, 28, Icebound Battleground, "Rescue the Gold Bloom" Epic Quest - Step 3 and "Beghouled Blitz" Epic Quest - Step 4
- Modern Day: Days 10, 16 and 42
- Arena: Gold Bloom's Garden Party Tournament
- Player's House: Piñata Party
- Pirate Seas: Piñata Party
- Lost City: Days 12, 16, 22, 23, 29, Temple of Bloom, "Beghouled Blitz" Epic Quest - Step 5 and "Electrical Boogaloo" Epic Quest - Step 9
- Modern Day: Days 5, 16 and 31
Hair Metal Gargantuar
- Neon Mixtape Tour: Days 12, 16, 19, 21, 24, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32, and Greatest Hits
- Modern Day: Days 16, 26 and 34
- Arena: Power Lily's Garden Party Tournament and Explode-O-Nut's All-Out Tournament
Since a Gargantuar's smashing animation is quite slow, you can delay a Gargantuar with a Spikerock, which take nine smashes before they disappear. Cheap plants, like Puff-shrooms, are also a good choice, as they have fast recharge and cost little to no sun, which makes them good emergency delayers. It is advised that you attack him with at least one instant-kill or else he may do a lot of damage to your vital defenses. Winter Melons are quite useful against it, especially in Survival: Endless. Although Chompers cannot eat a Gargantuar whole, they can keep biting at him, dealing 40 DPS per bite, making them good for weakening them. Hitting a Gargantuar with a Squash followed by a Jalapeno kills him fast, and prevents the Imp from doing serious damage. A charged Potato Mine will deal damage to the Gargantuar when he crushes it. Hypno-shrooms do not work against him because he does not eat anything. However, a hypnotized Imp can eat a Gargantuar without dying. Rows of Gloom-shrooms adjacent to his path will work as well. In the Survival Mode Pool levels (especially Survival: Endless) you can stagger him a bit so that Gloom-shrooms in the Pool kill Gargantuars before they reach ones on dry land. Another way to take out a Gargantuar is to use two Gatling Peas and a Torchwood. You can also kill a Gargantuar without making him launch his Imp. You need to have good defenses, though. First, let your plants damage him until his arm gets a patch. Once that happens, quickly use an instant kill. He will die and the Imp will not even be thrown.
The most useful strategy for Gargantuars, working well in both Dr. Zomboss's Revenge and Column Like You See 'Em, is using two Jalapenos, one to activate the Imp and another one to take them out without major damage from the Imp.
A Gargantuar costs 300 sun.
In the I, Zombie level Me Smash!, these are useful in hard rows without multiple Squashes, although occasionally a single Squash and a Kernel-pult with other offensive plants can kill him. It is still recommended to use normal zombies to remove problems.
In Vasebreaker, save some Squashes to get rid of these zombies, though Potato Mines work as well. There will be a Gargantuar but it might be difficult as the Squashes will go away after some time and clicking randomly until the Gargantuar appears might outnumber your other lane.
Gargantuar returns in the second game and now is far more threatening to the player due to his faster speed, more health, and he has variants that theme to the world you are in. Worse than that, some of his variants have special but deadly abilities to deal massive damage to your plants. Bring any instant-kill plant to make them weaker, especially Primal Potato Mine because of its increased damage. However, hypnotized zombies (besides a full health hypnotized Gargantuar) can't kill it, since Gargantuar will just crush them, unlike the first game.
A level 3 or higher Squash can instantly kill a Gargantuar, as it can smash thrice. Two squashes will kill it; also, it will not throw its imp as it will be busy smashing the Squash. Remember to plant it right under the Gargantuar.
A Primal Wall-nut will stall a Gargantuar indefinitely, as it refreshes before the gargantuar smashes it (it takes 3 smashes to destroy one).
Ancient Egypt and Pirate Seas - Days 8 and 25
Two Potato Mines can kill a Gargantuar. Gargantuars can also be frozen by Iceberg Lettuce or stunned by Kernel-pult to allow time for plants to do more damage to them. In Pirate Seas, Snapdragon with Plant Food can cause massive damage like an instant kill, meaning that two uses of Plant Food on a Snapdragon can kill the Gargantuar.
In Ancient Egypt, Mummified Gargantuars and Pharaoh Zombies are considered dangerous and very troublesome because of their high health. It is unadvised to use a Blover in Pyramid of Doom against a Mummified Gargantuar when he is throwing his Imp Mummy because it would be a waste of sun. Therefore, you will require at least a Cherry Bomb and Melon-pult when fighting. Mummified Gargantuars are also considered dangerous in Day 25 of Ancient Egypt during the battle of Dr. Zomboss and his Zombot Sphinx-inator. You can also let the Zombot Sphinx-inator charge at the Mummified Gargantuars and other dangerous Ancient Egypt zombies by killing them in one hit. However, all your plants that you have planted will be crushed. Despite that, it is still a good way to rid dangerous zombies.
In Pirate Seas, Pirate Gargantuars and Imp Cannons are considered very dangerous and troublesome in Dead Man's Booty because of their throwing of Imp Pirate Zombies. You must have Cherry Bombs/Jalapenos, Winter Melons, Spring Beans, and Blovers in the mode you are playing. The Pirate Gargantuars are also dangerous in Day 25 during the battle with Dr. Zomboss and his Zombot Plank Walker. To avoid losing your Coconut Cannons which have been planted or letting the Gargantuar Pirates continuing to overwhelm you, do not use Plant Food early or late. You must do it fast so that the Zombot Plank Walker will get stunned after it has killed the Pirate Gargantuars along with numerous zombies, so all your plants will not get crushed. During Day 8 of Pirate Seas, it is best to put one Kernel-pult on the first and second column of each row. Followed by three Snapdragons on the next column on the three middle rows. On the next column, one Snapdragon should be planted on all the rows. The next column should be filled with Wall-nuts. The next few columns are planks. Plant as many Spikeweeds there as you can. When the first Pirate Gargantuar makes his first appearance, immediately use Plant Food on the Kernel-pult. The Gargantuar will be buttered. Plant Spikeweed below to hurt him. When it wakes, use plant food on the Kernel-pult again. Do the same for the other two Pirate Gargantuars when they appear. The Pirate Gargantuar should then be defeated easily. You can also feed plant food on Snapdragon twice to instantly kill him.
Wild West - Day 8 and Day 25
Also, a stalling strategy can be used by moving a cart when a plant is about to be crushed by this zombie. Do this repeatedly until the Gargantuar is taken out. Just do not let the plant die.
Wild West Gargantuars and Zombie Bulls are considered to be the most dangerous zombies in Big Bad Butte. Their troublesome deeds are when they launch their Zombie Bull Riders. You will need Cherry Bombs/Jalapenos, Blover (possibly along with its Imitater version), Winter Melons, and Melon-pults. The Wild West Gargantuars and Chicken Wrangler Zombies are also very dangerous and sometimes, it is surprising that you will not see the Chicken Wrangler Zombie during the seed selection. If this is the case and you feel that there's a Chicken Wrangler Zombie hidden, bring Lightning Reed with you or you will risk a lot of money in spending for Power Ups. During the battle in Day 25 with Dr. Zomboss and his Zombot War Wagon, you will need to put Plant Food on the maxed out Pea Pods on Mine Carts for extra damage on the Gargantuars. Dr. Zomboss's charge attack can also kill all Wild West Gargantuars and other dangerous zombies in one hit, but you must move your Pea Pods on Mine Carts on any position to avoid letting them get crushed.
- See Gargantuar Prime.
A Fume-shroom when upgraded with Plant Food will deal more damage on the Gargantuar. However, avoid using Plant Food too early or the Gargantuar will take too long to kill. Once you damaged a Gargantuar when he is close to a Fume-shroom, he will throw the Imp. You must destroy its Imp to avoid losing your Fume-shrooms and Wall-nuts; in addition, you must be fast before the Gargantuar crushes your Fume-shrooms and Wall-nuts before the Imp Monk Zombie eats your plants by putting Plant Food on it. That will kill both zombies: Imp Monk Zombie and Dark Ages Gargantuar.
These and Wizard Zombies are very dangerous in Arthur's Challenge, because their troublesome deeds are when the Dark Ages Gargantuar crushes your plants and the Wizard Zombies turn your plants into sheep. You should have a Cherry Bomb and an Iceberg Lettuce for your disposal to prevent these negative effects from happening. These and Zombie Kings (along with Knight Zombies) are also dangerous in Arthur's Challenge, because their troublesome deeds are when the Zombie King turns all regular Zombies into Knight Zombies and Knight Zombies take too much damage to destroy. You must have enough good defenses to prevent this from happening.
In the battle with the Zombot Dark Dragon, multiples of them in groups are very dangerous, because their troublesome deeds are when they smash your plants in the second phase. Pea-nuts will be destroyed instantly by it, because this zombie does not eat plants. It is recommended to use Plant Food on your Fume-shrooms to deal more damage against it, but you must be fast when focusing on all dangerous zombies (Knight Zombie, Jester Zombie, and Wizard Zombie) to prevent a massive negative effect from happening. Boosting a Fume-shroom against the Gargantuar into Dr. Zomboss's fire tiles are very effective.
Big Wave Beach
In his first appearance, use the orange Bowling Bulbs to deal higher damage. However, do not use these Bulbs too early. It is best to combine the exploding and orange Bulb together against the Gargantuar. When he throws his Imp, use the blue Bulbs to prevent it from entering your house.
Deep Sea Gargantuars and Fisherman Zombies are very dangerous in Tiki Torch-er. Their troublesome deeds are when the Fisherman Zombie pulls the plants rightward, giving the Deep Sea Gargantuar an easier advantage for crushing your plants. You should have instant plants like Cherry Bombs, Jalapenos, etc. to prevent this from happening. Guacodiles can also work as when the Fisherman Zombie pulls the plant, it will rush towards an entire lane, dealing high damage to both of them.
In Day 16, a Chomper (when upgraded with Plant Food) will deal 200 DPS to a Gargantuar. Use a Tangle Kelp to deal massive damage against him. You can also use Plant Food against the Tangle Kelp to drag more zombies and deal massive damage. Beware, there is a chance that he may not damage the Gargantuar. When using Bowling Bulbs, use Plant Food to deal massive damage against the Gargantuar to defeat him.
In Day 24, reserve some orange and explosive bulbs for when the Gargantuar appears.
On other days, use strong plants as Winter Melon and Banana Launcher to defeat Gargantuars easily. Use Tangle Kelp and Cherry Bomb for massive damage. It's recommend using Magnifying Grass to kill the Imps that are thrown by the Gargantuars.
Sloth Gargantuars are harder to kill than regular ones, because he has three Yeti Imps. If combined with Hunter Zombies, Blockhead Zombies, Troglobites or Weasel Hoarders, they can easily cause massive mayhem.
It usually appears in Day 13. If he does appear, use Chard Guard or Hurrikale to keep him from your defenses. For the Yeti Imps, use Bloomerang, Split Pea or Hurrikale against them. Do this quickly, or the Yeti Imps will easily walk to the flowers and make you lose.
In Day 16, plant a Chard Guard close to a Gargantuar to prevent him from crushing your Repeaters and Pepper-pults. Use Plant Food at the Pepper-pult to deal massive damage so that his peppers can deal massive damage against almost every zombie on screen.
In Day 27, Sloth Gargantuars are very dangerous because they can get to crush endangered Rotobagas and Yeti Imps are released close to the endangered plants. Use Chard Guard for far away them from endangered plants. Use plants such as Spikerock, Magnifying Grass or Hurrikale against his Yeti Imps. To defeat them, use strong or instant kill plants.
See Day 28 for strategies against Sloth Gargantuars.
In Day 22, use trap tiles to kill zombies (including Gargantuars).
Neon Mixtape Tour
Hair Metal Gargantuars are far more dangerous than normal Gargantuars, especially for his jam. During his metal jam, Hair Metal Gargantuars can throw shockwaves that can destroy your defenses easily. He is also very dangerous during punk jam, since punk jam increases the speed of the zombies and makes Punk Zombies more dangerous. The rap jam enables the Breakdancer Zombie to kick any zombie in front of it, even a Gargantuar. If you don't use defensive plants, be careful as he will occasionally smash his guitar at an invisible target, just to create a shock-wave.
It does not usually appear in Day 12. If he appears, use strong plants (like Strawburst, Winter Melon or Banana Launcher, and Missile Toe) to damage them before Hair Metal Gargantuar begin to throw shockwaves to destroy the lawn. Do not use defensive plants or plants as Spikeweed, Cactus or Celery Stalker during its jam as, even their shockwaves can destroy them (hiding or not). Use Iceberg Lettuce (or Iceberg Lettuce´s Plant Food) or Stunion to stop them. A good way to deal a fast amount of damage to the Gargantuar is by stunning it and then placing a Celery Stalker directly behind him to rack up damage. Their sonic attacks set off any Guacodiles that get hit by him, making them not only a buffer, but a decent counterattack as well.
In Day 16, Hair Metal Gargantuars are the biggest threat because metal jam plays twice. Use Stallia to reduce his speed and other zombies, especially during punk and metal jam. Use Kernel-pult to damage Gargantuars and its butter for paralyze. A good tactic is when Gargantuars is paralyzed, plant a Celery Stalker behind to give massive damage. Some Phat Beets are also useful to damage while this paralyzed. Use Plant Food on Phat Beet or Kernel-pult to control the hordes of zombies. If things get out of control, use Thyme Warp to prevent more damage to your defenses.
In Greatest Hits, Hair Metal Gargantuars are also the biggest threat as they can appear as the first or second zombie, as long as his jam plays on. If you see a Gargantuar on the Choose your seed packet screen and you are on a low level, e.g. below level 20, it is recommended to go to the Zen Garden or retire then come back, because it will change the zombies present in that level. For later levels, two columns of Infi-nuts is highly recommended, due to their regeneration, which helps them withstand an unlimited amount of shockwaves.
- See Jurassic Gargantuar.
- See Gargantuar Bronze.
- See Flying Gargantuar.
Use plants that you'd normally use on defeating most Gargantuar variants.
In Day 9, use Shrinking Violets to stall it (note that it can't shrink a Gargantuar at level 1).
In Day 12, two Snapdragons fed with Plant Food should be able to take it out.
In Day 23, if a Foreman Gargantuar is somehow in the same lane as Coal Miner Zombie, plant a "fodder" plant such as Puff-shroom for Coal Miner Zombie to let go of its wheelbarrow.
Winter Melon does solid damage and slows down Gargantuars. Pea Pod with Torchwood does incredible damage, especially with two maxed out Pea Pods and Plant Food boosted Torchwood. Squash with Jalapeno also can deal with him, and the Jalapeno can take out the Imp too. In Pirate Seas, Spring Bean also works, but only if Gargantuar is in a lane that is adjacent to water. Remember that Power Toss does not work against him, and starting the 2.2 update, the ability to push Gargantuars into the water with the Power Toss in Pirate Seas has been removed, though you can toss Gargantuar into the air using the Power Toss and blow them away with a Blover. Placing a Coconut Cannon adjacent to him, blasting him, and shoveling him can also make a perfect delay against them especially if they are all in numbers. This tactic is good in higher levels of Endless Zone. Plants with high splash damage output, such as Dusk Lobber, Winter Melon, and Bowling Bulb (lv 3+) will effecivly deal with large groups of them at higher levels.
Regular Gargantuars (and their world variations) in Piñata Party are very dangerous in conveyor belt and Locked and Loaded levels, because their troublesome move is when they throw their Imps. A Laser Bean will deal heavy damage when fed with Plant Food in some parties. In the St. Patrick's Day event, these and Leprechaun Imps are very dangerous, because they can crowd weaker zombies and can almost reach your house. Use Plant Food on your Torchwoods and Repeaters to deal more damage as your disposal. You can also use Plant Food on your Spikeweeds to prevent them from crushing your plants. However, only plant them on the last lane. Only use Power-Ups when you have enough money and when these zombies are flashing red in case of emergency. In one of the Locked and Loaded levels, use Plant Food on one of your Lightning Reeds so that its thunder cloud can deal more damage to Gargantuars. This is a good idea to avoid risking money on Power-Ups.
These zombies in Gargantuar Week are very dangerous, because their troublesome deed is when they travel via whirlwind and throw their Imps almost close to your house. You must use a Cherry Bomb to deal damage quickly in case of emergency. You can also use Iceberg Lettuce, but you must be fast by using Plant Food, so one of the zombies does not get frozen.
In Boss Vase, a Gargantuar is spawned by destroying the purple vase. First, avoid breaking it, as this zombie will be very troublesome to your defenses. If combined with a Buckethead Zombie on the same lane, these zombies will easily wreck your defenses. Place two Potato Mines on the lane where the purple vase is; however, avoid breaking it too early as the Gargantuar will crush your plants with its weapon. Use Plant Food on your Repeaters twice to kill him quickly without letting it throw his Imp towards your lanes.
In Vasebreaker Endless, plant five Split Peas on the tenth and sixth squares on the same lane where the purple vase is, so that they will deal more damage to the Gargantuar. However, you must plant at least one Potato Mine or Bonk Choy so that his Imp when thrown will also get destroyed in order to deal more damage to the Gargantuar. Without one of these, the Gargantuar's chance of reaching your house will be increased and it will be very difficult to bear.
Once you have completed ten waves, an additional Gargantuar Vase will appear. Plant at least two/three Split Peas (and one Repeater), one Bonk Choy, and one Potato Mine to destroy the Gargantuar. However, use a Cherry Bomb once you saved up your sun on higher levels if the Gargantuars are glowing red for emergency.
- Main article: Giga-gargantuar
Giga-gargantuar is the second most powerful zombie in Plants vs. Zombies (only surpassed by Dr. Zomboss), found only in Survival: Endless, Survival: Day (Endless), Survival: Night (Endless), Survival: Fog (Endless), Survival: Roof (Endless), Co-op Endless and Last Stand Endless. It has double the health of a regular Gargantuar (infinite in Plants vs. Zombies FREE). The only difference in appearance is that the Giga version has red eyes.
- Main article: Gargantuar Prime
Gargantuar Prime is the fourth variation of the Gargantuar in Plants vs. Zombies 2. However, this variation is not an organic being but rather a mechanized walker outfitted with Laser systems and Bug Bot deployment systems and has a slow speed. This variation only exists in Far Future, Modern Day and Piñata Parties and is a formidable enemy when in numbers. The only similarity it bears is to crush plants and to launch Imps for last resort purposes. However, Gargantuar Prime can crush the same tile twice, making the stalling strategy by using cheap and fast-recharging plants useless against it and incinerates plants with lasers shot from its eyes.
- Main article: Jurassic Gargantuar
Jurassic Gargantuar is a Gargantuar variant appearing in Jurassic Marsh. Compared to normal Gargantuars, Jurassic Gargantuar is significantly tougher, capable of absorbing up to 5400 damage per shot worth of damage before dying, which makes him become the Gargantuar variant with highest health in Plants vs. Zombies 2. On the other hand, Jurassic Gargantuar moves much more slowly, giving the plants more time to attack before it can reach them.
Easter Gargantuar (April Fools Version)
Easter Gargantuars that appeared on April 1st, 2016's Piñata Party acted differently from normal Gargantuars. They took significantly less damage per shot and threw other Easter Gargantuars, opposed to Imps.
- Main article: Gargantuar Bronze
Gargantuar Bronzes are the Gargantuars variants appearing in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. They are first encountered in Kongfu World. These are Han Bronze, Knight Bronze and Qigong Bronze. Each Gargantuar functions differently.
- Main article: Flying Gargantuar
Flying Gargantuar is the Gargantuar variant in Sky City in the Chinese version of the game. It will throw the Imps to the first column unlike normal Gargantuars. It does not attack ground plants, but can throw Imps to eat plants backwards and any aerial plant that touches it will be crushed. Once it reaches the base, it will attack the home ship until it is destroyed.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Gargantuar.
- Along with the Zombie, Conehead Zombie, Buckethead Zombie and Imp, Gargantuar is one of the five zombies to have appeared in every Plants vs. Zombies game.
- Gargantuar is a pun based on the word "gargantuan".
- The Gargantuar, the Zomboni, Dr. Zomboss, the Giga-gargantuar, the Catapult Zombie, the Squash Zombie, the Weightlifter Zombie, Barrel Roller Zombie (barrel intact) and the Pianist Zombie are the only zombies that can crush plants.
- Even though Gargantuars do not eat, the eating sound is still played if he successfully invades the house.
- Gargantuar, Giga-gargantuar, Giga-Football Zombie, Mall Cop Zombie (if it is still on its segway), Robo-Cone Zombie, Disco-tron 3000, Mecha-Football Zombie, Tall-nut Zombie, Jurassic Rockpuncher, Brickhead Zombie, Gargantuar Bronze, God of Wealth and Dr. Zomboss are the only zombies that can survive a single instant kill.
- The player can kill a Gargantuar before he launches his Imp, if they either use two fully-charged instant kills or explosives, or if they have lots of fast-firing plants.
- The Gargantuar stops moving for a while when he throws his Imp.
- The Gargantuar variants do not appear in Plants vs. Zombies Online, along with Imp variants.
- The Gargantuar looks like he is wearing a ripped coat that a Zombie wears.
- The Porter Gargantuar, Jurassic Gargantuar, and the Foreman Gargantuar are the only gargantuars that have facial hair.
- Excluding the first Plants vs. Zombies game, when killed by a Potato Mine or Primal Potato Mine, Gargantuars will simply disappear, unlike other zombies.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies
- Gargantuars will never spawn at the top lane of all game modes (except endless levels). The most probable reason is to avoid obstructing the view of the available plants menu at the top of the screen with their massive size. Players can take advantage of this behavior, as they can put plants there which otherwise would be smashed in a single smash of a Gargantuar, like a Pumpkin or a Spikeweed; or concentrate on investing their sun reserves for upgrading other lanes which demand more attention.
- The Gargantuar's death animation will never have the imp. Since when he dies, the imp sinks through the trash can and vanishes.
- A Lawn Mower or a Roof Cleaner can kill a Gargantuar, despite the size of the Gargantuar. When he is killed by one, the Gargantuar turns into a puff of smoke because the Gargantuar has no "decapitated" animation.
- However, Gargantuar's body sprite had a "beheaded" wound visible, this can be assumed that Gargantuar used to have the decapitated dying animation.
- In the I, Zombie level Me Smash!, the Gargantuar smashes the brain instead of eating it.
- The Gargantuar is the second most expensive zombie in I, Zombie, costing 300 sun. The only zombie which costs more in I, Zombie is the Dancing Zombie, which costs 350 sun.
- If the Gargantuar is killed by an explosive instant kill (that turned the zombie into ash) and has not been able to throw his Imp, the body of the Imp will also disintegrate inside the trash can and then his head will fall onto the pile of ash that the Gargantuar has turned into.
- The Gargantuar will not hit other zombies that have been affected by a Hypno-shroom. The Zombie will eat the Gargantuar, but they usually cannot kill the Gargantuar before he goes away because of the Gargantuar's high health.
- If a Chomper manages to kill a Gargantuar, it will show the chewing animation with a normal zombie's arm sticking out.
- If a Gargantuar is killed while slowed by some sort of ice plant right at the starting point the player will be able to see the corpse while they are picking plants (Survival Mode and Last Stand Endless only.)
- The Gargantuar smashes and crushes the plants, rather than eating them.
- Gargantuars can have one of three different clubs: a telephone pole, a wildlife crossing sign, or another zombie.
- In an interview, George Fan describes two Gargantuar weapon ideas that were never implemented: "a leash with a chihuahua tied to it" and "a phone booth with the person still inside".
- Gargantuar can only throw his Imp five squares away from the right side of the screen. If a Gargantuar loses half of his health at the fifth square, he cannot throw an Imp.
- The Gargantuar is one of the three zombies that comes in groups, the other two are the Zombie Bobsled Team and the Dancing Zombie with its Backup Dancers.
- When a Gargantuar throws an Imp while it is frozen or slowed down, the Imp will also be slowed down.
- When using the Action Replay on the DS version, a glitch may occur in which when the zombies are viewed, the Gargantuar will be seen without a head, the Imp on his back, or his legs.
- A rake alone will not kill a Gargantuar. It will deal one instant kill of damage, then he will throw the Imp.
- The Gargantuar's roar is the same roar used by Dr. Zomboss when his Zombot is destroyed.
- The Gargantuar takes six hits in Co-op Bowling.
- The Gargantuar, the Balloon Zombie and the Screen Door Zombie are three of four zombies that appear in I, Zombie levels, but not in I, Zombie Endless. This is probably to keep the player from making the puzzle too easy, due to the fact that these three are very effective against the plants in the level. However, the normal Zombie is also omitted to make the game more challenging in another way, for a normal zombie can sometimes manage to clear a line with a single offensive plant, while the Imp cannot in most cases, unless the offensive plant is a Spikeweed or (sometimes) a Kernel-pult in the rightmost column.
- It is possible for a Gargantuar to be damaged by a Spikeweed or a Spikerock, if they are planted under the Gargantuar.
- If a sleeping mushroom is squashed by a Gargantuar, the mushroom will become a flattened woken version of the mushroom.
- As seen in the concept design for Gargantuar posted on the Plants vs. Zombies Facebook page, the Gargantuar was going to be a much more muscular zombie with short legs. His telephone pole is still present, however, although his Imp is missing.
- The Gargantuar has a collar around its neck. This is most likely because the Imp treats him like a horse, or pet of some sort.
- When Dr. Zomboss puts down a Gargantuar, the Gargantuar is actually taller than the Zombot's hand. The Gargantuar thus seems to appear out of nowhere. This also happens on versions of the game that have bushes on the far right of the lawn.
- In the DS version, plants will be crushed before Gargantuars finishes crushing them. This makes him harder to defeat in the DS version. This also happens in the DSiWare version.
- Despite his heavy weight, the Roof can still hold the Gargantuar and does not break when the Gargantuar falls or smashes a plant.
- His wildlife crossing sign seems to have a duck on it.
- Sometimes, in the DSiware version, the Gargantuar will change his weapon when he smashes a plant. This also happens in DS Versus Mode.
- If the player hacks Wall-nut Bowling 2 to have a Gargantuar, a Giant Wall-nut can kill it in one hit.
- If playing the game on a mobile device, and the device has a vibration feature, a Gargantuar will trigger the vibration in two ways: every time he crushes a plant, and when he falls over and dies. Although the same does not hold true in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- It is unknown how the bandages appear on his body when degraded, as they just appear.
- His concept design resembles a weightlifting athlete carrying a telephone pole as large as he is.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies 2
- If the player kills any Gargantuar mid smashing animation its arm will glitch out for a split second
- If the player manages to freeze or butter the Mummified Gargantuar just as its sarcophagus hits the ground, a regular Mummy Zombie can be seen inside. This is odd as normally there are Pharaoh Zombies inside the sarcophagus.
- A Pirate Zombies's hand can be seen sticking out of Pirate Gargantar's shark. As the shark hits the ground, the shark's teeth appear to clamp down on the hand.
- Unlike the first game, Gargantuars lose their head upon death.
- Unlike the first game, Gargantuar now has a dying animation with an Imp (the Imp falls out of holder onto his back), although it still shows an Imp with his burnt animation even if the imp is already thrown.
- A funny scene can happen if his health falls below half and the player burns him with the thrown imp using the Jalapeno, creating a hilarious situation where the Gargantuar has 2 imps.
- A loud crumbling sound can be heard when a Gargantuar is incinerated.
- When any variant of Gargantuar gets incinerated, they all use the normal Gargantuar incineration animation. Therefore, when Sloth Gargantuar was burnt, he will have only a single imp on his back despite carrying 3.
- Zapping a Gargantuar reveals that he has an entire dinosaur skeleton (likely a Velociraptor's) instead of rib bones.
- The Gargantuar crushes plants stronger than Barrel Roller Zombie and Pianist Zombie, as he can destroy defensive plants in one hit, while Barrel Roller Zombie and Pianist Zombie take longer to crush a defensive plant.
- When the player blows up or zap a Gargantuar to his last hit point the Imp will always be in the animation even if it has been thrown.
- When the Gargantuar is past the third column from the left and throws his Imp, the Imp will fly backwards to the third column. This is most likely to prevent really cheap losses as the Gargantuar could easily throw the imp onto the final column.
- All Gargantuar variants (with the exception of Gargantuar Prime) make the same vocalizations, but Vase Gargantuar makes unique noises when released from his vase.
- Hypnotized Gargantuars can throw their hypnotized Imps, but he still lands to the third column from the left. This means that the Imp will actually be thrown backwards.
- Gargantuars absorb four smashes from a hypnotized Gargantuar with the hypnotized one surviving the fourth hit (they take five smashes).
- If one looks closely, the barrel from the back of the Dark Ages variant changes its color.
- The plants Gargantuar smashed will no longer have a squished sprite. Instead, they will instantly disappear.
- If a Gargantuar dies before its Imp is thrown, the Imp will land on ground, disappearing, even though he is not harmed.
- Gargantuar Pirate, and Wild West Gargantuar are the only Gargantuars that appear in Gargantuar levels, Boss levels, Endless Zones, and Piñata Parties only.
- Gargantuars will crush the evil potions that appear in Dark Alchemy, even when not hypnotized. This is probably because a boosted Gargantuar would be too strong.
- There was going to be an Easter Piñata Party, in which the Easter Gargantuar would have appeared. But it was canceled, so the Easter Gargantuar never made an appearance until the Springening parties.
- The unhypnotized Gargantuar can smash Grave Buster, but the consumed tombstone will still remain and not be smashed.
- Just like a Hypnotized Zombie, a hypnotized gargantuar will smash tombstones.
- Despite the Almanac entry stating he has "Hungry" speed, the Vase Gargantuar moves at "Stiff" speed.
- Gargantuar Pirate is the only Gargantuar that does not throw his Imp directly.
- The Sloth Gargantuar wears the skin of a Megatherium, an extinct giant ground sloth.
- Hypnotized Gargantuars cannot be burned by Explorer Zombies.
- When killed, the foreheads of Sloth Gargantuars and Jurassic Gargantuars are removed.
- Something similar happens to a Deep Sea Gargantutar when killed: the forehead remains but the eyes go over the brows.
- The Porter Gargantuar had a visible flame in his torch in Lost City Part 1 trailer, but in game the torch is not lit. This was also true for its Almanac icon before the 3.9 update.
- Turquoise Skull Zombie's laser can instantly kill a hypnotized Gargantuar, even if he has full health. This is likely because this was designed to be an instant-kill beam.
- In the Chinese version, he has no audio.
- Hair Metal Gargantuar's namesake is a reference to Glam metal, the original name for Hair Metal genre. The genre combines the genre of punk rock and pop music.
- Hair Metal Gargantuar and Gargantuar Prime are the only Gargantuars who are able to destroy plants from a distance.
- A hypnotized Hair Metal Gargantuar, during the metal jam, will shoot glitched shockwaves that travel backwards and will not damage plants.
- Vase Gargantuar's almanac entry explains his slightly lower speed than other Gargantuars.
- Unlike every other zombie, Gargantuars take notice of Shrinking Violet, as he will continue to try to smash it until it disappears.
- If the player watches very closely when they kill a Wild West Gargantuar, his head in his dying animation will have the same earring the Pirate Gargantuar has, even though he never does in his idle animation, or when he is on the lawn in game, this might be an animation glitch or oversight.
- Wild West Gargantuar has the shortest almanac entry, only 2 words.
- If the Hair Metal Gargantur appears outside of the Neon Mixtape Tour world, either in Modern Day, Pinata Party or Arena, he will continue to use his ability despite his jam not playing.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version)
- The Foreman Gargantuar has the same throwing animation with the Pirate Gargantuar.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies Online
- The only Gargantuars that appeared were the Gargantuar Pirate and the Gargantuar Prime.