"future" is typed while Plants vs. Zombies is being played. They are worn by regular Zombies, Flag Zombies, Conehead Zombies, Buckethead Zombies, Screen Door Zombies, and Ducky Tube Zombies (all types) while the code is active.
They have no effect on gameplay, although if a zombie wearing the glasses bites a Garlic, he will instantly switch lanes, but a zombie without glasses will bite the Garlic, make a face, and then switch lanes. This also applies to Pole Vaulting Zombie, Ladder Zombie, and Newspaper Zombie, even though they do not wear future glasses. When the code is deactivated, they will make a face.
The sound that plays when you type the "future" (without the quotes) code.
- According to the Tree of Wisdom, the zombies that wear these glasses are from the future (Pssst! Try typing 'future' while playing to experience zombies... from the FUTURE!).
- In Plants vs. Zombies 2, zombies from the future appear in Far Future, but only the Disco Jetpack Zombie and the Far Future version of the Treasure Yeti wear glasses in that world.
- Also, neither of their glasses resemble the future glasses.
- On Pool levels on the Nintendo DS version of Plants vs. Zombies, ravens will occasionally drop these sunglasses onto zombies' heads on the top portion of the screen.
- Spikerock in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2 wears a pair of future glasses as a costume, but they do not really resemble the ones worn by the zombies.
- However, after an update, the costume was added to the international version.