Frankentuar is an event zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Crazy class. It costs 5 to play and has 5/7. It does not have any traits, and its ability gives it +1/+1 every time another zombie is destroyed. This ability stacks with each Frankentuar on the field and persists until all Frankentuars are removed from the field.
It was introduced in update 1.18.13 for the Lawn of Doom Weekly Event, along with Transfiguration, Go-Nuts, Witch Hazel, Haunted Pumpking, Ketchup Mechanic, Fraidy Cat, Sneezing Zombie, Exploding Fruitcake, and Unexpected Gifts.
Its name is a portmanteau of "Frankenstein" and "Gargantuar".
Its description is a reference to a famous quote by Victor Frankenstein, a young scientist who created the unnamed monster, while most people have the misconception that Frankenstein is the name of the monster. It is also a reference to it's monster tribe. The last part is also a reference to the fact that it is a zombie and therefore, not a living creature, unlike that monster.
- Class: Crazy
- Tribes: Monster Gargantuar Zombie
- Traits: None
- Ability: This gets +1/+1 when a Zombie is destroyed.
- Set: Event
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALI-I-I-IVE! Ok, strictly speaking, it's not alive.
- Design change: Increased in size.
- ▲ Health change: 5 → 7
Just like Valkyrie, this zombie gets a boost for every zombie destroyed. And due to that, a swarm deck is the ideal deck for this. Aside from glass cannons, zombies that make other weak zombies like Zombie's Best Friend, zombies that can destroy other zombies like Fireworks Zombie, and Final Mission can help you supply and destroy more weak zombies for the sake of boosting Frankentuar. However, you also need to hold on until you reach turn 5, so control cards and a few high-health zombies are also essential.
If you do not need to confront a particular threat, it is best to play Frankentuar on the rightmost non-aquatic lane to get the most out of its ability since zombies engage in combat from left to right.
Each hero has access to unique synergies and ways to assist Frankentuar:
- Z-Mech can play this zombie as early as turn 3 when Gargologist is on the field, and he has access to Flag Zombie who can make the cheap swarm zombies (and Frankentuar as well) even cheaper. This also puts your opponent in a small dilemma: destroy the support zombies and make Frankentuar stronger, or deal with Frankentuar and let Flag Zombie and Gargologist keep doing their job.
- Electric Boogaloo can use this with Smashing Gargantuar to give it Frenzy, allowing it to destroy weak plants in front of it, as well as Supernova Gargantuar and King of the Grill to activate their abilities. However, using other Gargantuars for synergy contradicts the general idea of a swarm deck. Instead, Frankentuar would work better with a pet deck, as it, too, focuses on swarming cheap zombies. And finally, Killer Whale allows Frankentuar to be played on the aquatic lane, making it harder to hit for some opponents and saving a ground lane for another cheap zombie.
- Professor Brainstorm can use Wizard Gargantuar to give it Bullseye, as well as Parasol Zombie to give it Untrickable to protect him against instant-kill cards. He also has access to Rocket Science, a trick capable of destroying any high-strength threats.
- Impfinity does not have much unique synergy with Frankentuar, but like every Crazy hero, he has enough weak zombies to boost it, such as Imposter. He can also play it in Laser Base Alpha to make him a potential finisher, and since it is an environment, it doesn't clog up a lane like Smashing Gargantuar.
But beware; just like Valkyrie, you are investing lots of cards just for Frankentuar to grow massive and do everything for you, and you will lose a lot of momentum if you lose the boosted Frankentuar. In fact, using Frankentuar is even riskier than using Valkyrie as Frankentuar must be on the field to make an impact while Valkyrie does not. Always pack an alternate strategy because Frankentuar is a priority target for plant heroes.
Frankentuar has massive stats (especially health) for a 5-brain zombie, and it will get even stronger as you destroy the constant flood of weak zombies that follows. As threatening as the swarm of zombies is, you should mainly focus on destroying, or heavily damaging Frankentuar. Solar heroes can use removal tricks to destroy him easily, while Smarty heroes can Bounce him to remove his boost.
- Unlike the other Gargantuars in Plants vs. Zombies 2, it does not have a velociraptor skeleton in replacement of his arm and ribcage.