Fire Gourd (火葫芦; pinyin: huǒhúlu) is the second plant obtained in Kongfu World in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. When tapped on, he breathes fire at a short-range that deals moderate damage to zombies. He requires either ten Fire Gourd Puzzle Pieces or beating Kongfu World - Day 3 to unlock.
He is based on a calabash (Lagenaria siceraria), also known as the bottle gourd, which is commonly carved in China as an ancient tradition. It is also used to store oil, water, or wine in China in the past.
He is also based on a character who was born from a gourd and is able to breathe fire in a Chinese cartoon, 葫芦兄弟 (pinyin: Húlú Xiōngdì; in English: Calabash Brothers). The costume of this plant resembles the one that the fourth eldest among the brothers (who also breathes fire) wears in the cartoon.
Note: Fire Gourd's recharge is Mediocre in-game
火葫芦 (Fire Gourd)
Sun cost: 200
火葫芦原先只是个杂技班里的小配角, 自从上了僵尸战扬后, 他才发现自己真正的价值。
Fire Gourd charges to unleash fire, causing damage continuously, particularly effective to weapon stands.
Usage: Tap to fire
Plant feature: yellow plant, full of anger
Plant Food effect
He now spits a powerful dragon-shaped flame down his path that deals 1800 damage per shot to the whole lane in front of him.
Contrary to popular belief, this plant actually does more than 40 damage per fire. The longer the fire stays, the more damage it does. Being a costly 200 and possibly a really weak range, it may be looked upon as a bad plant, but it is very strong if coupled with Sap-fling and other offensive or supportive plants. This plant is strong enough to take Conehead Zombies with ease, and should not be underestimated.
However, it is not recommended on Dark Ages' later levels nor Sky City as in the former by itself won't damage Imp Dragon Zombies due to their immunity to fire whereas in the latter is most likely to being unable to attack due to the lawns' limit as well as its Plant Food damaging the ship.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Fire Gourd.
- The player can still activate it while it is charging, but the fire will go a shorter distance and cause less damage.
- When it is knocked off the screen by Nunchaku Zombie while breathing fire, a long trail of fire will be seen as it flies off the screen.
- There is a glitch that if the player moves a Fire Gourd from a minecart, shovels it or a zombie eats it while damaging, an "invisible flame" will continue to damage it, and it will stop in time when the Fire Gourd stops.
- If it is put to sleep by Archmage Zombie while attacking, its fire will still be there but no damage will be dealt.
- He appears to be missing animations, due to him instantly teleporting to breathe fire, then instantly teleporting to retreat and to arm again.