Explode-o-nut (Explode-O-Nut in Plants vs. Zombies 2) is an explosive version of the Wall-nut. Once defeated, they explode in a 3x3 area, similar to the area of a Cherry Bomb, dealing 1800 damage per shot to any zombie(s) caught in the blast.
Explode-o-nut is based on walnut's seed.
The "explode" part comes from the fact it explodes at the end under pressure of nitroglycerine.
Explode-o-nut only appears in Level 1-5, Wall-nut Bowling, Wall-nut Bowling 2, and Co-op Bowling; all Wall-nut Bowling levels. They do not cost any sun, as the Wall-nut Bowling games are conveyor-belt levels. They bowl forwards like regular Wall-nuts and explode on contact with zombies. In some versions of the game they can be obtained as a reward in most other levels for watching an ad, which behave the same as in the Wall-nut Bowling.
Explode-O-Nut was released with the 5.0.1 update, as a special-edition premium plant to celebrate the 2016 Summer Nights event, where they are purchasable for $4.99 (Originally $2.99) alongside Strawburst. Explode-O-Nut remains on the tile where they were planted, and when destroyed by any means (except being burned, thrown off the lawn, or shoveled), they will explode.
SUN COST: 50
PLANT FOOD POWER: Armor
Explode-O-Nuts provide protection, and when their shells are eaten, they explode to blow up zombies.
"My only regret," says Explode-O-Nut, "is that I have but one chewy center full of nitroglycerine to give in defense of this lawn."
Plant Food effect
When fed Plant Food, Explode-O-Nut will gain armor that will give more defense plus an additional explosion when eaten.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
| Plant Food Power|
|1||0||0||50||10 seconds||5 seconds||3000 dps||3000 dps||1800 dps||3x3|
|2||10||1,000||10 seconds||5 seconds||3000 dps||1900 dps|
|3||25||2,500||9 seconds||4 seconds||3000 dps||2000 dps|
|4||50||5,000||9 seconds||4 seconds||4000 dps||2000 dps|
|5||100||10,000||8 seconds||3 seconds||4000 dps||2100 dps|
|6||200||20,000||8 seconds||3 seconds||5000 dps||2100 dps|
|7||400||30,000||7 seconds||2 seconds||5000 dps||2200 dps|
|8||800||50,000||7 seconds||2 seconds||6000 dps||2200 dps|
|9||1,200||75,000||6 seconds||1 seconds||6000 dps||2400 dps|
|10||1,600||100,000||5 seconds||0.05 seconds||8000 dps||2400 dps|
When costumed, their Plant Food effect will now give Explode-O-Nut magma rock armor instead, which enhances their effects.
|Has a 10% chance having the explosion to generate Potato Mines.|
|Explode-o-nut gains 50% more attack power and health (150% of initial).|
|Enhances Blasting Continues' effect by 100%.|
|Explode-o-nut gains another 50% more attack power and health (200% of initial).|
|Explode-o-nut may be boosted when planted.|
|Explode-o-nut gains another 50% more attack power and health (250% of initial).|
Because of their 3x3 range, it is recommended to save them for huge waves or groups of zombies. They will blow up the instant they touch a zombie, so launch them in the middle of a horde, not the front. They are powerful enough to immediately destroy any zombie (except the Gargantuar and Zomboni; the latter takes damage from the explosion as one Wall-nut), making them great opponents for tougher zombies like the Buckethead Zombie, Screen Door Zombie, or Gargantuar.
To make full use of the explosion area, instead of rolling them at a group of zombies, wait until the group of zombies crosses the line far enough and plant one in the middle of them. Also, roll them on the second and fourth lanes when a flat wave of zombies comes, as they will instantly blow up large amounts of zombies on the screen (excluding Gargantuars and Zombonis).
Explode-O-Nut has a lot of applicable uses. Because of how fast they recharge, they can be deployed very quickly. This is essentially placing down Cherry Bombs for 50 sun. Some zombies will make them explode by using their ability like Barrel Roller Zombie, Pianist Zombie or a Gargantuar. Else, they can explode as if they were a delayed time bomb that can only countdown if zombies attempt to destroy them. The only exception is Explorer Zombie/Torchlight Zombie, but only if their torch is still lit, and Super-Fan Imp exploding. If the player has him, they can pair them with Imitater, as the player can easily get a whole row of these plants as fast as possible, and then use them as cheap instant-kills.
If the player uses them in Far Future, the player should be aware of the Mecha-Football Zombie, as it can push Explode-O-Nut to the left tile instead of detonating them. This also applies with Excavator Zombie, Ankylosaurus and Fisherman Zombie. Attacks that can transform or neutralize plants such as Wizard Zombie, Octo Zombie, and Hunter Zombie are also a threat too. Also, in Dark Ages, take caution of Imp Dragon Zombies as they are immune to the explosion.
Explode-O-Nut particularly shines in Highway to the Danger Room, due to being able to shut down large hordes of Newspaper Zombies, All-Star Zombies, and dangerous zombies that spawn through the portal, such as Jester Zombie, Pianist Zombie, and Barrel Roller Zombie. Their fast recharge also compliments them, because of being able to keep up with the pace of the game. Pairing Explode-O-Nut with Shrinking Violet can destroy Gargantuars in one shot.
You can use this to kill a Gargantuar. Place Plant Food on Explode-O-Nut, and then if hit twice, they kill it. This is effective against the Gargantuar since one Explode-O-Nut explosion is like a Cherry Bomb explosion (in terms of damage and area), which means they will explode and kill the Gargantuar.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Explode-o-nut.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies
- They are the only explosive plant that cannot harm zombies that are above the ground, because other explosives can hit zombies while jumping or Balloon Zombies.
- Through hacking, it is possible to place them on any level, but they do what a regular Wall-nut would do. However, they will not degrade. Though in the Android version, the player can only use Imitater forms of them in normal levels due to a glitch.
- Explode-o-nut and Cherry Bomb both explode with the "POWIE!" onomatopoeia.
- They, Giant Sunflower, Giant Marigold and Giant Wall-nut are the only plants in Plants vs. Zombies that do not have a Suburban Almanac entry.
- The shade of red for them in-game is different than the shade of red on their seed packet.
- This is especially noticeable on the seed packet for the iOS and Android versions of the game.
- Since the 1.1.74 update of the free Android and iOS version, players can watch up to two advertisements per level to get an Explode-o-nut. The Explode-o-nut acts the same as they do in the mini-game Wall-nut Bowling when played.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies 2
- Unlike from the first game, which is a Wall-nut recolored a vibrant red, the Explode-O-Nut in this game is a rounder and shorter Wall-nut with a red glow and an angry expression.
- When they degrade the player may notice that the red on Explode-O-Nut spreads upwards.
- Also, on the last degrade stage, their pupils turn red.
- Their Almanac entry is a reference to American spy Nathan Hale's final words, "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
- Although their recharge is said to be Sluggish in the Almanac, their actual in-game recharge is Mediocre (10 seconds).
- Explode-O-Nut has the same watering animation as Wall-nut.
- They are the only returning plant that is a special-edition premium plant.
- If they are at their third degrade and is bound by an octopus, the octopus will emit a white glow.
- If a Surfer Zombie uses his surfboard to destroy them, they will explode as usual but the surfboard will remain there.
- When they explodes, they make the same exploding sound as the Potato Mine and the Primal Potato Mine.
- They are capable of killing a Gargantuar (except Jurassic Gargantuar) if fed with Plant Food, since they will explode twice: the armor and themself.
- Their Almanac entry says that their toughness is Very High, but their toughness in-game is actually Elevated. This may be because of their exploding ability.
- They are the only defensive and explosive plants capable of destroying the Zombie Hamsterball by one hit during Battlez.
- Their costume resembles exhaust pipes and flames resemble those of a dragster racing car.
- For some reason, it is not present in the Chinese version despite them not being an instant-use and appears on advertisements for the 2.2.1 update, while their costume appears on their level upgrade icon.