- For other uses, see Explode-o-Nut (disambiguation).
Explode-O-Nut is a plant in Plants vs. Zombies 2. He  is an explosive version of the Wall-nut. Once defeated, he explodes in a 3x3 area, similar to the area of a Cherry Bomb, dealing 1800 damage per shot to any zombie(s) caught in the blast.
Explode-O-Nut was released with the 5.0.1 update, as a special-edition premium plant to celebrate the 2016 Summer Nights event, where he was purchasable for $4.99 (Originally $2.99) alongside Strawburst. Explode-O-Nut remains on the tile where he is planted, and when destroyed by any means (except being burned, thrown off the lawn, or shoveled), he will explode.
In the 7.9.1 update, Explode-O-Nut became available as a seed-packet-obtainable plant on February 25, 2020, tied to Iron Age Antics in Penny's Pursuit.
His Almanac entry in this game is a reference to American spy Nathan Hale's final words, "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
SUN COST: 50
PLANT FOOD POWER: Armor
Explode-O-Nuts provide protection, and when their shells are eaten, they explode to blow up zombies.
"My only regret," says Explode-O-Nut, "is that I have but one chewy center full of nitroglycerin to give in defense of this lawn."
Plant Food effect
When boosted by Bombard-mint, Explode-O-Nut's Plant Food shield HP is increased to 8000 DPS, and his explosion damage is increased to 2400 DPS. Bombard-mint will do nothing if Explode-O-Nut at level 10.
|Plant Food Power
|1||0||0||50||10 seconds||5 seconds||3000 dps||3000 dps||1800 dps||3x3|
|2||10||1,000||10 seconds||5 seconds||3000 dps||1900 dps|
|3||25||2,500||9 seconds||4 seconds||3000 dps||2000 dps|
|4||50||5,000||9 seconds||4 seconds||4000 dps||2000 dps|
|5||100||10,000||8 seconds||3 seconds||4000 dps||2100 dps|
|6||200||20,000||8 seconds||3 seconds||5000 dps||2100 dps|
|7||400||30,000||7 seconds||2 seconds||5000 dps||2200 dps|
|8||800||50,000||7 seconds||2 seconds||6000 dps||2200 dps|
|9||1,200||75,000||6 seconds||1 seconds||6000 dps||2400 dps|
|10||1,600||100,000||5 seconds||0.05 seconds||8000 dps||2400 dps|
- Chance to Boost
- Damage Pierce
When costumed, his Plant Food effect will now give Explode-O-Nut magma rock armor instead, which is capable of absorbing 12000 DPS or one Gargantuar smash, and the explosion deals double damage.
|Has a 10% chance of having the explosion to generate Potato Mines.|
|Explode-O-Nut gains 50% more attack power and health (150% of initial).|
|Enhances Blasting Continues' effect by 100%.|
|Explode-O-Nut gains another 50% more attack power and health (200% of initial).|
|Explode-O-Nut may be boosted when planted.|
|Explode-O-Nut gains another 50% more attack power and health (250% of initial).|
Explode-O-Nut has a lot of applicable uses. Because of how fast he recharges, he can be deployed very quickly. This is essentially placing down Cherry Bombs for 50 sun. Some zombies will make him explode by using their abilities like Barrel Roller Zombie, Pianist Zombie or a Gargantuar. Else, he can explode as if he was a delayed time bomb that can only countdown if zombies attempt to destroy him. The only exception is Explorer Zombie/Torchlight Zombie, but only if their torch is still lit, and Super-Fan Imp exploding. If the player has him, they can pair him with Imitater, as the player can easily get a whole row of these plants as fast as possible, and then use them as cheap instant-kills.
If the player uses him in Far Future, the player should be aware of the Mecha-Football Zombie, as it can push Explode-O-Nut to the left tile instead of detonating him. This also applies to Excavator Zombie, Ankylosaurus and Fisherman Zombie. Attacks that can transform or neutralize plants such as Wizard Zombie, Octo Zombie, and Hunter Zombie are also a threat too. Also, in Dark Ages, take caution of Imp Dragon Zombies as they are immune to the explosion.
Explode-O-Nut particularly shines in Highway to the Danger Room, due to being able to shut down large hordes of Newspaper Zombies, All-Star Zombies, and dangerous zombies that spawn through the portal, such as Jester Zombie, Pianist Zombie, and Barrel Roller Zombie. Beware of Explorer Zombies, though, as they can be spawned through their respective world portal and quickly burn Explode-O-Nut without triggering his explosion. His fast recharge also compliments him, because of being able to keep up with the pace of the game. Pairing Explode-O-Nut with Shrinking Violet can destroy Gargantuars in one explosion.
Speaking of Jester Zombies, you can actually use their abillity to your advantage to get Explode-O-Nut's explosion to trigger more quickly. Place Explode-O-Nut in front of a Jester Zombie, and then have a physical-projectile-shooting plant shoot at him, and he will deflect their shots at the Explode-O-Nut, only to cause the explosion to trigger faster than normal. Stronger plants will speed up this process, as well as plant food.
You can use Explode-O-Nut to kill a Gargantuar efficiently. Feed Plant Food to Explode-O-Nut, and then if he's hit twice, he will kill all Gargantuars in his explosion range from both explosions. This is effective against the Gargantuar since one Explode-O-Nut explosion is like a Cherry Bomb explosion (in terms of damage and area), which means he will explode and kill the Gargantuar.
Like always, this is not a good plant to use in levels where you cannot lose plants, as he will count as losing a plant when he explodes, even if his intended use is to be destroyed so that he can kill zombies.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Explode-o-nut.
- Unlike from the first game, which is a Wall-nut recolored a vibrant red, Explode-O-Nut in this game is a rounder and shorter Wall-nut with a red glow and an angry expression.
- Despite nitroglycerin being a highly volatile and explosive substance, Explode-o-nut can't be triggered by the torch from the Explorer/Torchlight Zombie.
- When he degrades the player may notice that the red on Explode-O-Nut spreads upwards.
- Also, on the last degrade stage, his pupils turn red due to the nitroglycerin leaking.
- Explode-O-Nut has the same watering animation as Wall-nut.
- This plant and Pumpkin are the only returning plants that are special-edition premium plants.
- If he is at his third degrade and is bound by an octopus, the octopus will emit a white glow.
- The Surfer Zombie's surfboard can trigger his explosion but is not affected by it, due to being invincible during the smashing animation.
- When he explodes, he makes the same exploding sound as the Potato Mine and the Primal Potato Mine.
- Before a certain update, his Almanac entry said that his toughness was Very High, but his toughness in-game is actually Elevated.
- He is the only defensive and explosive plants capable of destroying the Zombie Hamsterball in one hit during Arena.
- His costume resembles exhaust pipes and flames resemble those of a dragster racing car.
- For some reason, it is not present in the Chinese version despite him not being an instant-use and appears on advertisements for the 2.2.1 update, and also on his level upgrade icon.
- Explode-O-Nut is one of the only not-instant-use plants that can not be healed by Aloe, even when Aloe is boosted. The other is Ghost Pepper. Both plants are meant to be destroyed as a part of their usage.