Electric Currant is a plant in Plants vs. Zombies 2, released with the 4.7.1 update. It was originally unlocked after completing the Electrical Boogaloo Epic Quest. It was available again as of January 9th, 2018, as a special-edition premium plant that costs 100 gems. As of March 13th, 2021, Electric Currant is available to purchase at all times. It was also buffed on July 28, 2021, which was that Electric Currant can move zombies to adjacent lanes and push them back 0.5 tiles.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Origins
- 3 Almanac entry
- 4 Upgrades
- 5 Strategies
- 6 Balance changes
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
The Electric Currant has two ways to attack:
- It will create an electrical fence when connected to other Electric Currants, either horizontally or vertically. The electricity deals 40 damage per shot every second to any zombie that passes through it, and will disappear when a node is removed by any means.
- When faced with zombies at melee range (on the same tile as itself), it will attack with an electric burst. The melee range attack deals 48 damage per shot every 1.5 seconds, and does not disrupt the electrical field.
- In both previous attacks, it can also make zombies move to adjacent tiles and push them back 0.5 tiles.
- It can also divert zombies that eat it.
Electric Currant is based on the Ribes rubrum, known as "redcurrant" in English, or possibly the fruit of the Amelanchier canadensis, known as the "currant-tree" or more commonly, the Sugarplum, or it may even be in reference to the Zante Currant also known as Corinthian Raisins, or simply just "currants," a type of grape native to Corinth and the nearby island of Zakynthos. It's name is a portmanteau of "electric current," a term for a flow of electricity, and "currant," the real-life plant it is based on.
Note: The stats shown below only apply to Level 1.
SUN COST: 150
RANGE: Lane & Column
PLANT FOOD POWER: Damage
Electric Currants create electrical fences between ones planted on the same row or column.
Usage: area effect (electric fence)
Special: knocks zombies back into other lanes when activated
"Electricity is all very well and fine as a phenomenon," says Electric Currant, "but electromagnetism as a whole is where it's really at."
Plant Food effect
When given Plant Food, Electric Currant strengthens both his melee damage and the damage of every electrical fence using the boosted plant as a node to 80 damage per shot. Both abilities' attack speeds remain unchanged, though.
|Plant Food Power
|1||0||0||150||10 seconds||200 dps||48 dps||40 dps||80 dps||Lane & Column|
|2||10||1,000||9 seconds||250 dps||50 dps||45 dps||90 dps|
|3||25||2,500||9 seconds||300 dps||55 dps||45 dps||90 dps|
|4||50||5,000||8 seconds||350 dps||60 dps||50 dps||100 dps|
|5||100||10,000||125||8 seconds||450 dps||65 dps||55 dps||110 dps|
|6||200||20,000||7 seconds||500 dps||70 dps||60 dps||120 dps|
|7||400||30,000||7 seconds||550 dps||75 dps||65 dps||130 dps|
|8||800||50,000||6 seconds||600 dps||80 dps||70 dps||140 dps|
|9||1,200||75,000||100||6 seconds||700 dps||85 dps||75 dps||150 dps|
|10||1,600||100,000||5 seconds||800 dps||90 dps||80 dps||160 dps|
*Proximity damage dealt when attacking zombies at melee range with an electric burst.
- Chance to Boost
- Damage Pierce
Electric Currant can now stun zombies on its current.
This plant acts similarly to Spikeweed and Spikerock, but two or more must be linked together to work. Electric Currants pair well with Sweet Potato or Garlic, as Sweet Potato and Garlic can keep the zombies away from Electric Currants. The Electric Currants should be planted in the upper and lower lanes to deal damage to all lanes possible. Defensive plants should be planted on the column closest to the house to prevent zombies from escaping the fences and reaching the house. Spikeweeds and Spikerocks can be planted on the electric fences in order to maximize damage. Additionally, using slowing plants like Stallia or Sap-fling,can extend the amount of time zombies step on electrical currents.
This plant is useful in Wild West, as the minecarts allow the player to move the electric fence to other lanes. The Electric Currant is also useful in Frostbite Caves, as the slider tiles can automatically move zombies into lanes with the electric fences. However, the positions of minecarts or slider tiles needs to be in a good layout for the player to use Electric Currant efficiently.
Electric Currant also has a small melee attack. This is a weak attack but should be noted, as it can be used as a way to counter Zombie Chickens and Ice Weasels or do some extra damage before being eaten. It can also affect flying zombies. You can extend the damage done with slowing plants as well, this strategy amplifies heavily the zombies destroyed by the melee attack, being able to kill Basic Zombies with the aid of any plant with such abilities.
As of the 9.1 update, Electric Currant can now help push back zombies that enter its electric fence or tries to eat it. It helps prevent Electric Currant from being eaten and thus disabling the electric fence, even if its eaten, it can still divert the zombie into another adjacent lane, which could be a lane that has plants that can easily kill the zombie. However, it is suggested to put a Pumpkin ontop of Electric Currant since Electric Currant can quickly be eaten by groups of zombies, once they enter the melee range of the Electric Currant, zombies will start eating the Pumpkin, but will be pushed backed and moved to another lane. This can also be a problem though, Electric Currant could move zombies to a lane where its is pretty weak in defense, which makes it easy for the zombies to get close. This is a huge threat when you have dangerous zombies, especially Gargantuars and All-Star Zombie.
- ▲ Diverts and knocks back zombies that enter electric fence.
- ▲ Diverts and knocks back zombies eating Electric Currant.
- ▼ Knockback distance is reduced from 1 to 0.5 tiles.
- ▼ Knockback frequency is reduced.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Electric Currant.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies 2
- Before version 5.7, Electric Currant, Imitater, and Marigold were the only plants to lack their Recharge section in the Almanac.
- However, unlike the other two, this plant lacked his Recharge section for unknown reasons. It was presumably due to an oversight in making the entry.
- When the Almanac stats were redesigned in version 5.7, this error was corrected.
- Additionally, the Almanac does not describe Electric Currant's second attack method, being melee damage.
- It, Gold Bloom and Aloe were formerly the only plants obtainable through completion of an Epic Quest.
- In Last Stand levels, he can be planted to destroy tombstones. Note that the current can only damage once, and the right/bottom Electric Currant should be planted first.
- He and Pea Pod are the only plants that can do this without being boosted.
- Its Epic Quest name, Electrical Boogaloo, is very similar to a zombie hero's name in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, Electric Boogaloo.
- There is a glitch involving this plant where if you plant it in columns, when a zombie steps into its field, the top Electric Currant will have its idle animation restarted, and will have it restarted every time the zombie is damaged by the field.
- Before version 6.6.1., despite the fact that its seed packet was in the style of Modern Day and Player's House, its background in the Almanac and seed selection was in the style of premium plants. This was also shared with other plants formerly obtained from Epic Quests.
- When the player has selected it and is about to plant it, its idle sounds can be heard. This also occurs in the Almanac.
- It is the only electric plant that does not have a mostly blue color scheme.
- If there is a plant other than Electric Currant between an electric fence, it will appear to be on the electric fence, not the ground.
- Electric Currant's featured Epic Quest had a visual error that made it say ...win 60 Electric Curran seed...
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version)
- Its seed packet is different from the international version.
- The seed packet is aligned to the middle instead of the left, and is zoomed in on Electric Currant slightly.
- Its Level 5 ability (melee attack) is very similar to Phat Beet and Gloom-shroom, especially Electrici-tea, as they are both electrical plants.