- For more information about this character, see Doom-shroom.
- For other uses, see Doom-shroom (disambiguation).
When activated either through normal planting in Night and Fog levels, or through waking up via feeding it a Coffee Bean in daylight levels, Doom-shroom will explode, dealing 1800 damage in a 7x5 area (7x6 in the Pool), with the AOE capable of covering almost the entire lawn. It also destroys every plant on the tile it is on, leaving a crater for 3 minutes which cannot be planted on. This makes it an environment modifier. Doom-shroom's damage doesn't count as a fire-based effect, so the surviving zombies won't be thawed if they had an ice effect on them before.
Suburban Almanac entry
Doom-shroom proves itself to be worthy of its appearance as a tactical nuclear weapon: an incredibly powerful explosive with great potential, but also with noticeable drawbacks. Thanks to its massive area of effect and damage, Doom-shroom can cover almost every threat present on the screen and wipe out anything short of a Gargantuar, as long as it is planted on the pool rows in Pool and Fog levels, or on the second or third rows in Day, Night, or Roof levels.
On the other hand, the resulting crater can be detrimental, as it can practically lock down the tile permanently in normal levels, or for many flags in Survival: Endless, a place where every planting tile is needed and losing one could result in a loss of the level for the player. The slow recharge rate also hampers Doom-shroom somewhat, though Imitater can be used to combat this.
Similarly to Ice-shroom's case, the nocturnal mushroom mechanic does not necessarily affect Doom-shroom negatively, as it will allow the player to "stockpile" Doom-shrooms and activate them when needed. However, stockpiling Doom-shrooms is a far more difficult task, as unlike Ice-shroom, which can be planted anywhere, Doom-shroom will need to be planted on the frontline in order to fully utilize its potential, making it vulnerable to zombies. In this case, Pumpkin can be used to help the player do this more efficiently — while Doom-shroom will destroy its Pumpkin when activated, the tactical value of being able to store powerful explosive weapons is usually worth the additional 125 sun, especially in Survival: Endless.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Doom-shroom.
In other languages
- When it explodes, the word "DOOM!!" will appear with a purple mushroom cloud.
- It is one of the twelve plants that was seen on the online version's seed selection after Grave Buster was obtained, the others are Ice-shroom, Potato Mine, Lily Pad, Threepeater, Tangle Kelp, Jalapeno, Spikeweed, Torchwood, Tall-nut, Cactus, and Blover.
- The Nintendo DS version's phrase of "DOOM!!" is wider than in other versions as well as off the ground.
- It is nicknamed "黑暗侠" ("Darkman", in a superhero's naming style) in Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West.
- Doom-shroom is the only plant that can destroy other plants (Lily Pads, Flower Pots, and Pumpkins) on its own.
- In Day and Night levels, Doom-shroom planted on row 4 will miss zombies on row 1 (except Zombonis).