- For other versions, see Dandelion (disambiguation).
Dandelion is a plant in both versions of Plants vs. Zombies 2 as well as Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West. He attacks by releasing explosive dandelion seed bombs at zombies, but differently depending on the game.
Dandelion is based on Taraxacum a.k.a. dandelion.
His head has a resemblance to lion's mane or afro hair.
In Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West, he was a store bought plant which could be purchased with 180 gems and couldn't be imitated. He released explosive dandelion seeds at zombies in his lane. He could also randomly do a special attack, releasing a large amount of high damaging dandelion bombs targeting every zombie on screen.
In the international version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, Dandelion is a special-edition premium plant released in the 3.4.4 update for the 2015 Springening event. Being a special-edition plant, he can only be obtained for a limited time, but once obtained, he can be kept indefinitely. Dandelion can attack on the lane he is placed on, as well as adjacent lanes by releasing slow-moving explosive dandelion seeds, one lane at a time. The seeds deal splash damage to any enemy that is in that tile. As of the 2017 Springening Event, Dandelion can no longer be purchased with gems. He was Plant of the Week from April 3, 2017 to April 16, 2017.
Additionally, if Blover or Hurrikale is used, two Dandelions on screen in the case of Blover, or two in Hurrikale's lane will release 12 small bombs, each dealing 25 damage per shot when exploding. Afterwards, Dandelion has to recharge for 10 seconds before he can start attacking again.
In the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, he is a Super-Rare monthly special plant. He releases bombs that float over to the zombies by the dandelion seeds and drop on them. The bombs deal three damage and deal splash damage in a 1x1 area.
Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West
Dandelion can release dandelion bombs to bombard approaching zombies
Normal Attack Range: straight
Normal Attack Damage: normal
Special Attack Range: full board
Special Attack Damage: heavy
Previously, Dandelion was a normal young artist. He likes to lie down on a tree to read books and stare the sky through the book's gap if there is nothing to do. His dream was being a pilot flying in the blue sky. When he grew up, he became an airport communication person......Yes, you did not misread, because of his wrong reading position, his eyesight worsened and he could not pass the pilot medical examination!
SUN COST: 275
Dandelions send explosive seeds down three different lanes, one lane at a time.
Range Details: can attack targets in the lane above or below
Special: may react to certain strong winds
"Look," says Dandelion, shaking his head, "I'm not a leprechaun and I'm not a genie. You can blow my seeds off all you want, but I can't make your wish come true. I don't even know how that rumor got started."
Note: In-game, Dandelion's damage is Moderate, and its recharge is Mediocre.
Sun cost: 200
Dandelion releases powerful seeds to bomb zombies.
Range: Single-tile damage
Plant Food effect
In the international version, when fed with Plant Food, Dandelion will release ten large dandelion seeds into the air which float down slowly to random zombies, exploding and dealing 250 damage per shot to all enemies in a 1x1 area. If he lost all his seeds to a Blover or Hurrikale and is regrowing them, he will instantly grow them back.
In the Chinese version, Dandelion will release two to five bombs that home in on random zombies and deal splash damage in 1x1 area. If there are no targets available, he will not create any bombs.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
|1||0||0||275||15 seconds||300 dps||50 dps||Normal||Multi-Lane|
|2||10||1,000||275||14 seconds||350 dps||60 dps|
|3||25||2,500||250||14 seconds||400 dps||70 dps||+ 1.5x|
|4||50||5,000||250||13 seconds||450 dps||80 dps|
|5||100||10,000||225||13 seconds||550 dps||90 dps|
|6||200||20,000||225||12 seconds||600 dps||100 dps|
|7||400||30,000||200||12 seconds||650 dps||110 dps||+ 2x|
|8||800||50,000||200||11 seconds||700 dps||120 dps|
|9||1,200||75,000||175||11 seconds||800 dps||130 dps|
|10||1,600||100,000||150||10 seconds||900 dps||150 dps|
The Plant Food ability now creates a lot of powerful bombs and does a carpet bombing to zombies.
Plants vs. Zombies 2
Dandelion can be used as an alternative to Melon-pult in dealing splash damage to great amount of threats in later levels. When compared together, Dandelion is cheaper and better at finishing off lone clusters of zombies, as he can attack on the lane he is placed on as well as adjacent tiles. His ability to release bursts of explosive seeds in strong wind also makes for a powerful emergency option, when particularly dangerous zombies such as Gargantuar need to be neutralized quickly.
On the other hand, Dandelion is greatly disadvantaged if there are three zombies in three consecutive lanes and only a single Dandelion, he never targets a single zombie. Instead of a single zombie, he tries to attack all zombies pollen by pollen; having a possibility to be eaten before he finishes off even one zombie should the zombies be at least a Conehead or stronger, making him an unreliable plant on his own against stronger zombies. So, at least two are needed in the lawn. His special ability will also disable Dandelion for ten seconds, therefore, great care must be taken when attempting to utilize this. So, defensive plants or stalling plants should be used with this plant to prevent him from getting destroyed.
Dandelion can also be placed on Power Tiles to negate the cooldown time after using Blover and Hurrikale by using a Plant Food. Dandelion can be useful in the Wild West if planted on a minecart that is close to the left side. You can also use Hurrikale or Blover with him for a combo.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Dandelion.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies 2
- For a very short time following the official release of the 3.4.4 update, players could obtain him for 109 gems. Shortly after, the gem cost was changed to 129 gems. Later on, the cost was changed back to 109 gems on April 13, 2015.
- Despite being referred to as male in the Almanac, the description for the 3.4.4 update in the App Store and Google Play, along with the Plants vs. Zombies Facebook page and advertisements in the game list him as female.
- There is a glitch having to do with using him in a level in which the player cannot lose more than a number of plants. If they choose him, it says that using it means losing a plant.
- This may be a nod to its special attack, which requires instants - Blover and Hurrikale.
- He returned during the Food Fight event for Black Friday. His price was reduced to 80 gems.
- According to the credits, he's voiced by Shari Rossan.
- He is the first plant to be affected by other plants, with the second through sixth being the Shadow Plants and the seventh being Electric Currant.
- He was buffed in the 4.6 update.
- He now attacks about 1.5x faster, and his explosive seeds move slightly faster.
- Furthermore, he only requires 10 seconds to regrow his seeds rather than 15 seconds.
- He's the first spring-themed plant, with the second being Plumping Plummy, a Chinese-exclusive plant.
- If he's in the first or the fifth row and shoots a seed or has his seeds blown away, then the seed or seeds might go outside of the lawn.
- His description in the Almanac is a reference to a rumor that some children believe, which is blowing a dandelion will make wishes come true. He additionally says that it doesn't help anything to himself, implying the Blover/Hurrikale will disable him for 10 seconds with their strong winds.
Specific to the Chinese version
- If a bomb misses a zombie behind it, it will home into the zombie behind it.
- If the bombs kill the zombies and it is on a tombstone or weapon stand, the bombs will return and damage it. However, if the bombs created by Plant Food miss the zombies, they just float out of the screen.
- This is one of the only plants where the Chinese version has released earlier than the International version, even though being technically a different plant but a same name. The other is Electric Blueberry.