- For the version in Plants vs. Zombies Online, see Costumes (PvZO). For costumes found in the code, but have yet to appear in the game, see Plants vs. Zombies 2/Concepts/Costumes.
Costumes are cosmetics that the player can earn in Plants vs. Zombies 2. Every plant has a costume, except for Imitater, Marigold, All Power Mints, Dazey Chain, All Vine Plants (Blastberry Vine, Pyre Vine, Pumpkin, and Shine Vine), Ultomato, and Tumbleweed. In the Chinese version, costumes are used to boost Plant Food effects. To Cherry Bomb, Cycloque and Grapeshot, they were used to boost them as they do not have Plant Food.
A costume changer can be used to set whether the plant would wear its costume or not, except for the limited-time costumes of Sunflower, Peashooter, and Wall-nut. It can also change the costumes of the plants if there were more than one costume obtained. Depending on the costume, costumes could be obtained in piñatas, Señor Piñata, Mystery Gift Boxes, or the store (prior to the 5.7.1 update, but returned in 6.5.1).
- 1.5: Costumes were added.
- 2.1: Comes with costumes for Far Future plants.
- 2.3: Hypno-shroom's costume was released.
- 2.4: Dark Ages - Part 1 plants' costumes were released; Pea-nut's costume would be released later on.
- 2.5: Magnet-shroom's costume was released.
- 2.7: Chomper's costume was released.
- 2.9: The costume changer was released alongside three new obtainable Halloween costumes for Bonk Choy, Repeater, and Kernel-pult.
- 3.1: Six of the previously unused costumes became obtainable through Piñata Parties in the duration of the Feastivus timeline. All of the Big Wave Beach costumes (excluding Banana Launcher), Homing Thistle, and Sweet Potato's costumes were also added.
- 3.3: On March 11, 2015, the shop was redone, with a new tab to purchase certain costumes with gems. These costumes (for Potato Mine, Lightning Reed, Snapdragon, Split Pea, Kernel-pult, Cabbage-pult, and Cherry Bomb) cannot be obtained in any other way than buying them in the shop.
- 3.4: Costumes for all plants missing them since Banana Launcher, excluding Ghost Pepper, Sweet Potato, Pepper-pult and Dandelion, were released, along with Spring-themed costumes for Bonk Choy, Twin Sunflower, Snapdragon, and Kernel-pult made specifically for the Springening event.
- April 15, 2015: a new costume for Bonk Choy and some existing costumes of plants were released to the shop.
- 3.5: Special costumes for Cabbage-pult, Bonk Choy, Kernel-pult, Snapdragon, and Lightning Reed were added to commemorate Plants vs. Zombies' 6th birthday.
- 3.6: Costumes for Lava Guava, Red Stinger, A.K.E.E., and Endurian were released.
- June 23, 2015: Costumes for Toadstool were added.
- 3.8: Summer-themed costumes for Repeater, Lightning Reed, Tall-nut, Winter Melon, and Pepper-pult were released for the Summer Nights event. Costumes for Stallia, Gold Leaf, and Strawburst were also added.
- August 18, 2015: Costumes for Cactus were added.
- 3.9: Costumes for Phat Beet, Celery Stalker, and Thyme Warp have been added.
- September 15, 2015: Costumes for Electric Blueberry have been added.
- 4.0: Comes with costumes for Garlic, Spore-shroom, and Intensive Carrot.
- 4.1: Comes with costumes for Ghost Pepper, Jack O' Lantern and Dandelion, alongside the Halloween costumes for Repeater, Kernel-pult, and Bonk Choy.
- November 11, 2015: Costumes for Grapeshot are added.
- 4.2: Comes with costumes for Primal Peashooter, Primal Wall-nut, Perfume-shroom, and Dandelion.
- December 9, 2015: Costumes for Cold Snapdragon are added.
- 4.3.1: Comes with costumes for Primal Sunflower and Primal Potato Mine.
- January 5, 2016: Costumes for Shrinking Violet are added.
- 4.4.1: Comes with costumes for Moonflower, Nightshade, and Shadow-shroom.
- February 3, 2016: Costumes for Blooming Heart are added.
- 4.5.1: Comes with costumes for Dusk Lobber, Grimrose and Escape Root.
- 4.6.1: Comes with costumes for Gold Bloom.
- 4.7.1: Comes with costumes for Electric Currant.
- 4.8.1: Comes with Time Twister costumes for Cabbage-pult, Bonk Choy and Melon-pult. It also contains Wasabi Whip's costume.
- 5.0.1: Comes with Explode-O-Nut's costume, alongside Snapdragon's unused stovepipe hat costume, the Summer Nights costumes for Repeater, Lightning Reed, Tall-nut, Winter Melon, and Pepper-pult.
- 5.1.1: Comes with costumes for Aloe and Kiwibeast.
- 5.2.1: Comes with costumes for Bombegranate.
- 5.3.1: Comes with Apple Mortar's costume.
- 5.4.1: Comes with Witch Hazel's costumes.
- 5.5.1: Comes with Parsnip's costumes.
- 5.6.1: Comes with Missile Toe's costumes.
- 5.7.1: Costumes tab has been removed from the Store.
- 5.8.1: Comes with Hot Date's costume.
- 5.9.1: Comes with Caulipower's costume.
- 6.1.1: Comes with Electric Peashooter's costume.
- June 7, 2017: Costumes can no longer be obtained.
- 6.3.1: Comes with Solar Tomato's costume.
- 6.6.1: Comes with Holly Barrier's costume.
- 6.9.1: Shadow Peashooter's costume is released.
- 7.0.1: Costumes can be obtained. Goo Peashooter and Sling Pea's costume was released.
- 7.1.2: Snap Pea's costume is released.
- 7.3.1: Zoybean Pod's costume is released.
- 7.4.1: Electrici-tea's costume is released.
- 7.5.1: Pokra and Imp Pear's costume is released.
- 7.7.1: Ice Bloom's costume is released.
- 7.9.1: Dartichoke 's costume is released.
- 8.0.1: Gumnut's costume is released
- 8.1.1: Puff-shroom's second costume is released
A $ symbol means that they can also be purchased in the store.
^ = Limited-time costume (these costumes are automatically worn during the event and will be removed once the event has ended)
^^ = Costume that the player can keep
- Icy Currant's costume Puzzle Piece shows a set of purple bracelets behind the purple pacifier used in-game
- If the player exits a level with a plant without a costume planted in that level and gets the plant a costume, the original plants do not have costumes but all newly-planted one will.
- In the Chinese version, during the 1.1 update, costumes are the first time award for completing Gargantuar Crisis and Evil Danger Daily Challenges.
- Starting from the 2.9 update, with the exception of Peashooter, Sunflower, and Wall-nut, plants that have costumes will have their portrait in their Almanac entry and the seed selection screen covered with what appears to be glass.
- As of the 4.6 update, all Almanac portraits are covered with this glass substance, regardless if it is a plant or zombie. It was removed in the 5.7 updates.
- Some plants, such as the Lily Pad and Spring Bean, have feminine costumes, despite being referred to as male.
- The costume shop gives the costumes names and descriptions.
- It also refers to Sun-shroom as female, despite it being mainly referred to as male in its almanac entry.
- In the International version, Ghost Pepper's costume was not obtainable until 4.1 update.
- Pepper-pult's Summer Nights costume is the only official one obtainable.
- Due to a programming error, Sunflower, Peashooter and Wall-nut's limited time costumes for 2016 Lawn of Doom event and Plants vs. Zombies Heroes event did not appear in the game, leaving them unused.
- Both of Shrinking Violet's costumes are based on different types of footwear.
- Both of Parsnip's costumes are based on its attacking ability and its attackin sound.
- You can sometimes obtain costumes for plants you don’t own, including ones purchased in the store.
- Bloomerang's store-purchased costume is a reference to Link, the main protagonist from Nintendo's 'The Legend of Zelda' series, who also utilises boomerangs.
|V · T · E|