- For other uses, see bean.
Coffee Bean is a plant in Plants vs. Zombies that allows the player to use mushrooms during the Day, Pool, and Roof levels by waking them up. To use it, the player must plant the Coffee Bean on a sleeping mushroom.
Suburban Almanac entry
The mushrooms are very cheap, but 75 sun is a lot to pay to wake them up. He is only useful with special mushrooms, like the Magnet-shroom, Gloom-shroom, Hypno-shroom, Ice-shroom, or Doom-shroom. Another useful tactic is to plant a couple of instant-use mushrooms if you know you will need them later. When you are ready to use them, just plant a Coffee Bean on them when you need the effect. This successfully eliminates the packet recharge because if you plan it right, you can use a pre-planted mushroom and a current mushroom back-to-back. Some combinations with Coffee Beans are only useful for getting achievements, like the Sun-shroom and Scaredy-shroom. On the contrary, Ice-shrooms and Doom-shrooms can be pre-planted and activated with a Coffee Bean later.
Coffee Beans are extra helpful during the Versus Mode, as he only costs 25 sun to use them. Thus, you can get cheap shooters like Scaredy-shrooms for only 50 sun, much less than other shooters.
Good Morning achievement
In order to get the achievement Good Morning, you need to beat a Day, Pool, or Roof level using only mushrooms. Coffee Beans are essential, as it is the only way to make mushrooms wake up. The falling sun from the sky helps to plant the Coffee Beans, and once you have a sufficient amount of Sun-shrooms, they will help generate the sun to wake up the Scaredy-shrooms, Fume-shrooms, or any other mushrooms you will use.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Coffee Bean.
- Coffee Bean is the only plant that zombies will never directly attempt to interfere with.
- As can be seen by looking at the Coffee Bean's Suburban Almanac entry, the Coffee Bean levitates. This is likely because it is planted on top of a mushroom, so it should be above the ground.
- In the Game of the Year Edition box cover and online version of Plants vs. Zombies, the Coffee Bean's mouth is closed, missing its leaf, has wider eyes, and has wings.
- When the Coffee Bean is used, it will turn into coffee powder.
- In ZomBotany, the player can sometimes see a pea hitting where a powdered Coffee Bean used to be above a Puff-shroom and the Sun-shroom. It will look as if the pea hits nothing.
- If a mushroom is eaten while in the process of being woken up by a Coffee Bean, the Coffee Bean will remain floating and uneaten. It will just turn into red powder and wake up nothing, wasting 75 sun in the process.
- The sound of an awakened mushroom is the same sound of a Digger Zombie rising from the ground.
- Bungee Zombies can steal Coffee Bean before it activates. This results the mushroom to be not awaken and wasting 75 sun in the process.
- There is a glitch on the PS Vita version where Coffee Bean's seed packet will be only display half the bean or only the sprout. It shares this trait with Winter Melon.
- It is the only plant to be floating in the Suburban Almanac.
- It and Grave Buster are the only plants that can be selected but cannot be planted in Fog levels.
- It is nicknamed "小咖" ("Coffy") in Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West.